2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Some errors: IHKA help?

12-02-2023, 11:31 AM   #1
VTMike
Private
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 2.5, '14 X5d, '14 535xd

Some errors: IHKA help?

I've got this cross-posted in Navigation, iDrive.... section as well. I'm not sure whether there or here is right.

Apologies for the redundancy...

===
Greetings.
'14 535xd with just shy of 100k miles.
Did some work in February including tranny flush and ofhg.
Then rear shocks, coils and such in November.

Got a check-engine a few weeks ago and code suggested particulate filter issue, so brought to the dealership (despite being underwhelmed by my past experiences with them). They did the EGR recall and affirmed the particulate filter code with sensor replacement and suggested about $5k of service to include valve cover/gasket, guibo, and some fluid flushes. I declined. I'd rather work with an independent shop that I hold in high regards, but is some distance away. And I thought I could delay until I could make that trip/time work.

Coinciding with the check-engine, I had a cabin climate control hiccup where a blower was on, but no lights and no function. That self-corrected pretty quickly, but I mentioned it in my drop-off notes. Service Writer said that OBD had the code, but with the issue not-present to delay any action. He made mention of a $1k repair that was probably in my future.
Sure-enough, the problem came back this morning. I ran the codes with my reader. A fair number of codes, but I think they're all related:
CD040B: KCanPhyError
C91402: ID2BF water valve timeout
C91404: ID246 Status climate timeout
CD954A: Message from sending control unit (IHKA) failed
CD9401: Message from IHKA failed
2A8A00: Switching time: adaptation
DE9436: 32E, status climate internal control information failure
DE944C: 242, status climate front failure
DE9439: 2FO, status air conditioning stand function failure
Many of these are coded as failing at 158,809 km, so that was the start of my trip this morning.

Does this seem to be the climate control panel failure?
If so, can I get a second-hand unit? eBay? Will coding be necessary? Is that coding something I can do with BimmerCode?

Or is this more likely to be higher up the electronic-brain-line?

I spoke with the dealership Service Manager. He said he couldn't make a declaration based on the notes from the Service Writer. He said that the Service Writer would confer with the tech and I'd hear from them on Monday.
I've also reached out to the independent shop that I think highly of...may opt to get the valve cover, guibo and flush taken care of right away....presuming this isn't the beginning of the death-by-1000-cuts phase of ownership.

Opinions on the acute and the broader question (will I grow to hate this vehicle) would be appreciated.
Per the broader, I DO see these as unicorns....38 mpg with gobs of power (that I seldom use, but I sure-do like).
Appreciate 0