2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2011 535xi (post-March) newbie -- couple of gadget questions

04-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Argelius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi (on order)

2011 535xi (post-March) newbie -- couple of gadget questions

I've had my 2011 535xi for about 24 hours now and and overwhelmed (in a good way) with all of its gadgety goodness. (And...I love the way it drives, too!).

I've searched for some answers, but am feeling I'm missing some basic info. If anyone care to indulge me in providing some quickie answers, I'd be most grateful as I get fully up to speed...

[1] BMW Assist: this is basically On-Star and is free for four years for all the safety services (collision notification, SOS, roadside assistance).

If I want to get My Info (to enter destinations in Google Maps) or use Google Search I have to subscribe to the Convenience Plan ($199/year)? Or is that just for "concierge" service? (BMW's brochure on this is confusing...). Is that how you get your BMW "email address" to use with Google Maps?

[2] Are satellite imagery maps available on the Nav system? I seem to remember reading something about that...

[3] To store songs on the hard drive, you use the USB port in the glove box. Am I correct that only an ipod/iphone connected via center arm rest USB will display album art?

[4] The iPhone "snap in adapter" basically lets you charge the phone and use the car antenna to boost your signal, but doesn’t provide any other enhanced functionality? Also -- any word on when the adapter for the iPhone 4 will be available? (Insane there are already rumors about iPhone 5 and BMW still doesn't have this...)

[5] So the My BMW remote iPhone app is only available in the UK and not the US? Is this going to change?

Am I missing anything else in terms of the "BMW Connected" features? (I have the BMW Connected App (with the 6NR option. I don't twitter and the Facebook functionality, frankly, is easier to use on my phone that in the car. Web Radio is cool. Hoping for some enhanced functionality/additional apps soon!)

Thanks for indulging me! I'll post a full review once I get my feet on the ground...

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
masti99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10

Congrats! Pics please
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
I've had my 2011 535xi for about 24 hours now and and overwhelmed (in a good way) with all of its gadgety goodness. (And...I love the way it drives, too!).

I've searched for some answers, but am feeling I'm missing some basic info. If anyone care to indulge me in providing some quickie answers, I'd be most grateful as I get fully up to speed...

[1] BMW Assist: this is basically On-Star and is free for four years for all the safety services (collision notification, SOS, roadside assistance).

If I want to get My Info (to enter destinations in Google Maps) or use Google Search I have to subscribe to the Convenience Plan ($199/year)? Or is that just for "concierge" service? (BMW's brochure on this is confusing...). Is that how you get your BMW "email address" to use with Google Maps?

[2] Are satellite imagery maps available on the Nav system? I seem to remember reading something about that...

[3] To store songs on the hard drive, you use the USB port in the glove box. Am I correct that only an ipod/iphone connected via center arm rest USB will display album art?

[4] The iPhone "snap in adapter" basically lets you charge the phone and use the car antenna to boost your signal, but doesn’t provide any other enhanced functionality? Also -- any word on when the adapter for the iPhone 4 will be available? (Insane there are already rumors about iPhone 5 and BMW still doesn't have this...)

[5] So the My BMW remote iPhone app is only available in the UK and not the US? Is this going to change?

Am I missing anything else in terms of the "BMW Connected" features? (I have the BMW Connected App (with the 6NR option. I don't twitter and the Facebook functionality, frankly, is easier to use on my phone that in the car. Web Radio is cool. Hoping for some enhanced functionality/additional apps soon!)

Thanks for indulging me! I'll post a full review once I get my feet on the ground...

Argelius,

Here are some answers:

1) Using My info to get Google Destinations downloaded to your car is free. You do have to first press the BMW Assist button though and make an "introduction" call with BMW. Just tell them that you just got your car and want to set up the account so on and so forth. After you give them your e-mail, you use this when going to google maps, sending the destination to your car. My google maps destination did not work until I made this call. (I still think this button looks like something you would press to Eject passengers out of the car!)

Google Search I am not so sure. We have the Internet access supposedly and I do see it on I-Drive. But every time I try to bring it up, it tells me that I have to call some number, most likely to get this service for an extra charge. I need to investigate further. Supposedly we can use the internet access we have through our phones.

2) Satellite images are indeed available. You have to go to Options when in Nav, and click on "satellite". Then to get it, you have to be no closer in that 5 miles...(I can't remember the exact number...might be 10????) to get them to come up.

3) I beleive you are correct in that assumption but defer to others to chime in. Artwork does show up when using the center console, but believe others have had their artwork on hardrives as well when using the glovebox.

4) I have a Blackberry so cannot help on this. You may want to check out whether or not Apple has the "Calendar" App for the Office funtion (now call BMW Connected) of the car. I downloaded it to my BB ($15) and it works great. It adds the calendar and appointments features to the car.

Also remember that once you get everything set up in the car, you may wnat to get a USB stick and save your profile from the Glovebox USB port.

I had heard that the Apple adapters were late due to the fact that initial models were running very hot. Evidently, BMW is re-designing them to include a small cooling fan in the adapter housing. I guess this is needed to to keep the phone's battery and CPU Temp down.

Have fun with the car.

Last edited by ghueser; 04-07-2011 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Argelius
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Argelius,

Have fun with the car.
Thanks -- that was most helpful. After about 2 days with the car, I'm finally getting the knack of everything!

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks -- that was most helpful. After about 2 days with the car, I'm finally getting the knack of everything!
Other thing I forgot to mention is with the Eight Memory Buttons on the console. Before I really knew what they could do, I was programming them with individual Sirius Stations. I also thought....what a ripoff, my old E39 had way more options to savings favorite stations. Little did I know I was doing this all wrong.

So as an example, this is what I have programmed for my 8 buttons:

1) Favorites: You can save up to 40 favorite stations...either Sirius, FM, or AM in whatever sequence you desire. (To do this, when you are on a particular favorite station, press down on the idrive knob for a couple of seconds, it will then ask if you want to save it, and then where.)

2) Sirius Radio: (I have a lot of Sirius channels in favorites, but pressing this allows me to see all the Sirius channels again.

3) Center Console CD Player:

4) Ipod player in Armrest USB: I keep a 16GB Nano in the car.

5) Split Screen / Non Split Screen: Easy way to bounce back and forth.

6) Timer function for venting the car:

7) Trip Computer: That way I can easily re-set the gas mileage between fill up easily.

8) Oil level Check: (I am still old school and wich this car had a dipstick)

Of course you can do whatever you want with thes buttons. Some put in their favorite Phone numbers which is not a bad idea. for that function I just find it easier to press the sterring wheel button, then scroll at the recent calls I have made, then press the button or the scroll wheel again to make the call.

Also, when you do get to favorites, you can use your steering wheel scroll wheel to get from one station to the next....or you can use your i-drive knob.

The only weird thing about my setup is that when I am listening to music of any sort, from any of the sources noted above,.....if i go to lets say the oil check button (#8 on the console), it will come up and display the oil. But if i press my Favorites button 1, or 2, or 3, or 4.....the screen will not change back. I have to instead push one of the i-drive buttons..either the CD, or Radio to get back to the music screen. Just sort of a weird quirk of the system and takes getting used to.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Argelius
Private
Rep

<<1) Favorites: You can save up to 40 favorite stations...either Sirius, FM, or AM in whatever sequence you desire. (To do this, when you are on a particular favorite station, press down on the idrive knob for a couple of seconds, it will then ask if you want to save it, and then where.)>>

I tried doing this (saving my favorites to a memory button), but can't seem to figure out how to do it. When I have my favorites displayed, the iDrive controller automatically highlights the first selection. When I attempt to save it on a memory button, only the first station gets saved -- not the favorites list...

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
2 days!!!! Wow, you're doing really well .
I've had my car for 6 months and I'm still finding new tweaks in the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
So as an example, this is what I have programmed for my 8 buttons:

4) Ipod player in Armrest USB: I keep a 16GB Nano in the car.

5) Split Screen / Non Split Screen: Easy way to bounce back and forth.

6) Timer function for venting the car:

8) Oil level Check: (I am still old school and wich this car had a dipstick)
As I just replied to 'Argelius', you discover new things in iDrive all the time.

4) Excellent idea - thanks.

5) Waste of a favourite to me as you can just as easily select 'Options' then press the control wheel to get split screen.

6) Thought I'd , but missed that one - please enlighten me about timed venting.

8) Get yourself a 535d, BMW throw in a traditional dipstick .
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
schen
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I tried Google search and it told me that I need to sign up for something like "convenient plan" which is $199/year I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
schen
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Anyone has any luck with the BMW Office feature with iPhone ? I could only get my contact list show up in BMW Office, but not the email or text messages. Needless to say calendar or tasks or notes.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
As I just replied to 'Argelius', you discover new things in iDrive all the time.

4) Excellent idea - thanks.

5) Waste of a favourite to me as you can just as easily select 'Options' then press the control wheel to get split screen.

6) Thought I'd , but missed that one - please enlighten me about timed venting.

8) Get yourself a 535d, BMW throw in a traditional dipstick .
Jon D.

The car has a timer under Climate Control in the idrive, where you can set a time for the car to automatically vent the cabin. (actually 2 times) I use the feature in the Spring and Summer to start venting the car around 10 to 15 minutes before I usually leave the office. It really helps to get rid of the hot air in the cabin.

I had my car in for it's first service yesterday, basically just an oil change. My loaner was another 5 series, so did not do quite as well as you.

There is evidently still no Steering software fix in the states yet, my dealer did acknowledge and said he would get another update when the regional BMW tech comes back in.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schen View Post
Anyone has any luck with the BMW Office feature with iPhone ? I could only get my contact list show up in BMW Office, but not the email or text messages. Needless to say calendar or tasks or notes.
There are some other Threads that you need to search on. I cannot help as I have a Blackberry Torch. That said, I do have all the Office features with the addition of Calendar and Appointments from a BB App, which is nice to have.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
<<1) Favorites: You can save up to 40 favorite stations...either Sirius, FM, or AM in whatever sequence you desire. (To do this, when you are on a particular favorite station, press down on the idrive knob for a couple of seconds, it will then ask if you want to save it, and then where.)>>

I tried doing this (saving my favorites to a memory button), but can't seem to figure out how to do it. When I have my favorites displayed, the iDrive controller automatically highlights the first selection. When I attempt to save it on a memory button, only the first station gets saved -- not the favorites list...
Go back one step in the i-drive and get to the screen that says "presets" .....then Highlight with the red box, then press the button on the console for the 2 seconds or longer for it to accept. That should then get you to your preset 40 list when you press that favorites button.

I know it sounds confusing...................trust me, this took me a long time to figure out and was not quite an intuitive as I expected it would be.
Appreciate 0