2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Any solution for car holding gear

01-30-2023, 10:09 PM   #1
dan-kc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i xdrive, 2014 x5 35i

Garage List
Talking Any solution for car holding gear

I believe the following description is normal transmission behavior, but i'm looking to see if any alternative exists.

In Sport mode or DS, when i accelerate strongly to highway speeds, but then release the accelerator, i would prefer if the trans would shift right away to a higher gear, but instead the RPM's hold at the high level for way too long, before deciding to shift.

I would like to use Sport and DS a lot more, but the trans holding the high rpms bothers me too much, and i end up after one acceleration, just moving to comfort or normal shift so that the trans will shift and RPMs lower.

Is there any way around this? Is there any way to get that trans to shift automatically instead of holding the gear. If not a setting possible within the car, with any 3rd party product?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 06:05 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-kc View Post
I believe the following description is normal transmission behavior, but i'm looking to see if any alternative exists.

I would like to use Sport and DS a lot more, but the trans holding the high rpms bothers me too much, and i end up after one acceleration, just moving to comfort or normal shift so that the trans will shift and RPMs lower.

Is there any way around this? Is there any way to get that trans to shift automatically instead of holding the gear. If not a setting possible within the car, with any 3rd party product?
When you understand why this is occurring, I suggest you simply experiment in how fast you lift off the throttle, watch out for leaving in zero position.

We've had this feature since the introduction of the ZF 5-speed. Driving style can reduce the shift hold from causing any issue.

Quote:
Rapid retraction of the accelerator pedal
This function can change the basic map depending on the speed with which the foot is taken off the accelerator pedal. For this reason, the determined accelerator pedal speed value is compared with threshold values that are saved in the control unit. This comparison leads to delayed upshifts and it also avoids (multiple) upshifts.
From the 6-speed data... A simple description of upshift suppression.

Quote:
The intention to apply the brakes can often be anticipated from the accelerator pedal being rapidly released to the zero position. If such an action is detected, the upshift is suppressed for as long as the accelerator pedal is in the zero position and the vehicle is in overrun mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 07:06 PM   #3
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
Right on the money. Need to understand how it works!

In sport (shift lever to the left), if you slowly release the accelerator pedal, it shifts up quickly (I.e doesn’t hold revs). But quickly releasing it makes it hold the gear much like in a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0