2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anyone had 535xD transfer case issues?

07-13-2021, 03:50 PM   #1
TheHoovs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535D xDrive

Anyone had 535xD transfer case issues?

Bough this car about 1 year ago and sporadically had 'drivetrain malfunction' annunciator. Began getting progressively worse and more common.

I thought it was a bad VTG Control unit and bought a used, replacement online. I went through the process with ISTA during removal to read code (also verified with actual Transfer Case) and then coded the 'new' control unit through ISTA. When I get to the VTG Calibration, I get a 'No Valid calibration value stored in the VTG control unit' I've gone back through the repair/install procedure several times now with no change in calibration.

It now gives the following codes with the used replacement VTG Control Unit:

440117: Four Wheel distributor gearbox temporarily shut down
440102: Oil Wear
440105: Calibration Faulty

as well as DSC codes:

48068C: Transfer case - clutch temporarily shut down, possible overheating
48097D: Transfer Case - clutch poistion open, rear wheel drive only
D355F8: Signal Error (xDrive actuator information; ID: XDRV_ACT_INFO) - Invalid

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I looking at a failed or failing Transfer Case?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 10:11 PM   #2
jfandl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 5.0 (F15) - BM3

What was your resolution, I am in the position with a replacement Transfer case and control unit. Every time I try to calibrate it, I get a "No valid calibration value stored in the VTG control unit"

I tried two separate control units with the same results. It happened on the original transfer case as well as the newly replaced (used) transfer case.
Appreciate 0