2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F11 Air Suspension

02-19-2023, 03:29 AM   #1
5seriesTourer
Rep
Drives: 5 series Tourer F11

F11 Air Suspension

Hi All,

I had an air suspension issue on my 2016 F11 Tourer with the air bellows leaking. I changed them and had no further issues for 4 weeks (nearly to to the day), when they dropped again whilst driving. I pulled over and the compressor ran for them to pump up again. A couple of days later the same happened again but they would not pump up. After having a look and checking for any other leaks, none were found but bellows pumped up again. Used the car for a further a week and the same has happened again?? I have also changed the relay. Does anybody have any idea to what the issue could be?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 05:01 AM   #2
bigzebowski
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Check the relase valve in compressor.
It may be stuck from time to time since it still can pump the bellows.
I had different issue when the release valve was stuck in closed position and it wouldn't pump down. Change it and everythin ok for last 6 months.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-19-2023, 06:08 AM   #3
5seriesTourer
Rep

Thanks, I’ll have a look and let you know. I was thinking about fitting a whole new compressor but didn’t really want to wait until it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 07:30 AM   #4
bigzebowski
Rep

No need for that expensive job.
There are 2 valves I changed (relese and split valve wich directs the air to two belows), moisture beads that can get soaked with moisture and block the compressor and relay wich you've already changed.
I my opinion it is release valve wich is coroded and it got stucked.
The problem is BMW does not sell this part separate, only with complete compressor unit. But Ali express have them and they are inexpensive.
Also check if there are any leaks in air hoses, but is you said that both sides colapsed it's valve issue.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2023, 05:12 AM   #5
5seriesTourer
Rep

Cheers, we’ve been away since Sunday and had no issues until coming home today and it’s happened again. Luckily I had ordered the part and should be here today also, as soon as it comes I’ll be changing it. My only fear is overworking the compressor and will need a new one anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 05:18 AM   #6
bigzebowski
Rep

I kept my going with punctured below for months and it still works 💪
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2023, 03:35 PM   #7
5seriesTourer
Rep

The valve finally come and I’ve changed it, I took the opportunity to check for moisture in the compressor. The desiccant was soaking wet so I dried it all out. I also changed the control valve whilst I was there. So far so good, I’m also convinced the bellows are now more solid and the ride is better (this might be in my head though). I’ll keep you posted if I have anymore problems.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Appreciate 1