2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Question about retrofitting a heated steering wheel

11-13-2015, 06:22 AM   #1
seekhay
Rep
Drives: 2017 540

Garage List
2017 BMW 540  [0.00]
Question about retrofitting a heated steering wheel

Hello!

For reference, this is a 2011 550.

I've caught the mod bug and I live in the north east, so naturally a heated steering wheel was high on my wish-list. My question is in regards to powering the heat element.

The wheel is already installed, as is the switch on the steering column to turn the heated function on and off, however I gather from the installer that there were was nowhere to plug it into. From reading the thread (and the most excellent pdf) here, it seems that since the car originally didn't have the heated option, nor the vibration option I somehow have to piggyback on the airbag connector.

Has anyone here done this and can offer some sage advice?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Marc_CA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i Cdn spec

My 528i has the option and you need a different switch cluster. Contrary to what is mentionned in the pdf, not all F10 switch cluster are the same. I know becaused I replaced mine with one that did not have all the same connectors. If you open the switch cluster, it has two 6-wire strips that are common to all switch clusters. A cluster supporting heated steering has two extra 3-wire strips specifically for this option. The strips provide current to the heating elements Inside the steering. A heated steering has an extra connector that plugs into the 4 O'clock connector on the cluster (B on attached picture). The heater switch on the steering culumn plugs behind the cluster (A on the attached picture).
Attached Images

Last edited by Marc_CA; 01-09-2016 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0