2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum [Opinions]Looking into upgrading to a 11' 550i XDrive

10-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
MooreOfDerek
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' BMW 335xi 6AT

[Opinions]Looking into upgrading to a 11' 550i XDrive

Hello,

My name is Derek. I usually am in the e90post but, I have recently been informed about being moved up in the company. I currently own a 08' 335xi (JB4 - BMS Dual Cone intakes - Alpina b3 TCU flash - MHD JB4 Backend Pump flash)

I am looking into a BMW 2011 550i XDrive. I love AWD even though it has its pros and cons (just like any other drivetrain) but, in this case I will take valid statements about long-term ownership if RWD is the better place to be.

So, before we begin let me tell you about my goals for my new car.
1, I really love having a lot of power on the road. Right now, my 335xi is putting about 400awhp and 410awtq (Not dyno'd just raced a lot :P) With this being said what all upgrades are available in this engine format (n63)

2, BMW is very incredible at making and designing these cars but, what should I expect maintenance / reliability to be like? For instance I have done all the work to my 08' 335xi (N54 engine) myself. From suspension and braking to engine work (Minus being able to walnut blast my car myself :c )

3, Would you wait a little longer for the 2014 to go down in price for the n63tu engine versus the 2011 n63? At this time my maximum budget would be around 22,500 - 26,000 for a new car.

4, What packaging would you guys highly recommend. I already know that I would love the M-Sport package for the body styling and the suspension work but, what all package is just nice to have?

Any comments, Feedback, and overall opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Derek
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreOfDerek View Post
Any comments, Feedback, and overall opinions would be appreciated!
Not speaking from experience, others can comment, but based on everything I've read here, seems that upgraded version of the 550 engine is better choice.

I personally prefer suspension and cornering feel of RWD cars, thought fully understand there are pros and cons of both. It really is a matter of personal preference and what matters to you. DHP seems to be one option most people agree is nice to have. Running and maintaining these cars isn't exactly cheap, parts or labor. I terms of reliability, I personally feel they could/should be more reliable, they are complex cars and issues pop up more often than they should. Of course, just like everything else, it's a hit and miss, impossible to predict how lucky you will be on reliability.

Most important thing, you're coming from E90, F10s are very different vehicles comparing to what you are used to and maybe what you expect. Lots of people have expectations that are not realistic when it comes to big vehicle like F10.

Good luck, have fun shopping.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
MooreOfDerek
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' BMW 335xi 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Not speaking from experience, others can comment, but based on everything I've read here, seems that upgraded version of the 550 engine is better choice.

I personally prefer suspension and cornering feel of RWD cars, thought fully understand there are pros and cons of both. It really is a matter of personal preference and what matters to you. DHP seems to be one option most people agree is nice to have. Running and maintaining these cars isn't exactly cheap, parts or labor. I terms of reliability, I personally feel they could/should be more reliable, they are complex cars and issues pop up more often than they should. Of course, just like everything else, it's a hit and miss, impossible to predict how lucky you will be on reliability.

Most important thing, you're coming from E90, F10s are very different vehicles comparing to what you are used to and maybe what you expect. Lots of people have expectations that are not realistic when it comes to big vehicle like F10.

Good luck, have fun shopping.
Greatly appreciate the input. It was a good read. What I mean by drivetrain is that, I love the launch of AWD and the borderline infinite tracking from a 30mph roll.

I also understand that these are very different machines. I don't plan on racing a lot with the 550i. I mainly want it because, I love the sound of a BMW v8, the twin turbo system, the all around fantastic features (I'm use to buying BMWs that didn't have many features (06' 530XI - didn't even have a aux port, 08' 335XI - No I drive or bluetooth, nothing like whats in the F10).

This being the main reason I am starting to look into a 550 or even a 535.. The features, the clean package, the looks, the overall amount of pleasure I believe I would have in a f10 is incredible. So, I was just gathering more information about them before continuing the quest to a f10
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Derek, I am loving my 550i. It is quite a different car from the E90 my wife has though. It is not a ton bigger, but you can feel it while driving.

I shied away from the 535i because it felt low on power. Coming from an E39 M5 and my wife's PPKd 335i. Ended up with a Dinan Stage 5 559i and loving it.

Whatever you do, get a warranty for it. I paid 3500 for 3/36k warranty, already have $2400 in repairs for an injector and blower motor. I don't think I will keep the car after warranty is out...
The N63tu is a better motor, but with warranty I am still way under the cost if stepping up.

The 550i comes with a lot of stuff already, if you are used to a base E9x there probably aren't too many must haves for you. Although there are a lot of neat gadgets that I wish I had, getting a Sport (would have preferred MSport) is probably the highest on my list now that I have this car, slapping the transmission into Sport mode is my preferred driving method since I no longer have my 6sp manual...

Feel free to PM me and I can relay some of the stuff I learned researching.
Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Derek, congrats on the promotion. It always feels good to progress, and now you want the car to match as I'm sure you will be walking out to a dark parking lot and the car will make you feel better working so late!

If the toss up is between N63/ N63TU, go TU. If you want the power, it already starts with a 10% advantage over the N63. I would have gone for a 2014, but certain circumstances I ended up with mine. I do love my car 2013 though. I don't know what I'm missing so I do jot known better... and I believe at Stage 2, it's the same power levels.

Folks are right to manage expectations with the F10 vs E90 and smaller cars. But you are growing my friend! I have always loved the 5er from E34 of my childhood to E39 M5 a college professor let me drive to the E60 I bought with my first big promotion. Now I'm thinking I want a E39 M5 project car... I'm sure my wife would kill me...

One thing if you are looking for options, most 550 owners would have optioned decently being the price point that they are new.

535 will be more familiar to your N54 platform though. If you're looking to mod, intakes, exhaust, everything is not as supported in the 550 as the 535.
Appreciate 0