2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BWM Irish Car warranty

12-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Kev131tc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport

BWM Irish Car warranty

For years the prestige manufacturers like Audi & BMW have been out of step with the warranties provided by our nearest market ie the UK - Irish warranty is 2 years, UK is three.

I've had a maketing e-mail from a dealer telling me that from 2011 all BMWs in Ireland will have a 3 year warranty - Anyone else hear the same or know anything about it....?

Nothing on the BMW home site at present...

They are also offering the service inclusive pack free on all new cars but I suspect that they will pricing their trade-ins or cash discounts appropriately.....unless that is becoming standard too...?

My car is coming in early Jan and I hate the feeling when you've just lost out on a product enhancement for not being aware of market developments!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev131tc View Post
For years the prestige manufacturers like Audi & BMW have been out of step with the warranties provided by our nearest market ie the UK - Irish warranty is 2 years, UK is three.

I've had a maketing e-mail from a dealer telling me that from 2011 all BMWs in Ireland will have a 3 year warranty - Anyone else hear the same or know anything about it....?

They are also offering the service inclusive pack free on all new cars but I suspect that they will pricing their trade-ins or cash discounts appropriately.....unless that is becoming standard too...?

My car is coming in early Jan and I hate the feeling when you've just lost out on a product enhancement for not being aware of market developments!
Yeah, and what about the heated seats and USB? Are we going to get that lot as standard as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
Kev131tc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

Hi Dom

I was on to BMW Ireland this morning and they had no information. They had to ring a Dealer to find out that the 3 year warranty will be standard on all Irish Supplied cars from 1st Jan.

The heated seats will only be standard on 6 cylinder cars but I had not heard anything about the USB - Both are options that I've specc'd and I don't want to be charged for something unnecessarily - Something to watch closely I think.

The person at BMW Ireland (who is actually in the UK!) suggested that there is a move to harmonise the UK and Irish product offerings so maybe the UK BMW helpline will be better informed on the latest spec...?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Hi Dom

I was on to BMW Ireland this morning and they had no information. They had to ring a Dealer to find out that the 3 year warranty will be standard on all Irish Supplied cars from 1st Jan.

The heated seats will only be standard on 6 cylinder cars but I had not heard anything about the USB - Both are options that I've specc'd and I don't want to be charged for something unnecessarily - Something to watch closely I think.

The person at BMW Ireland (who is actually in the UK!) suggested that there is a move to harmonise the UK and Irish product offerings so maybe the UK BMW helpline will be better informed on the latest spec...?
I don't think we're going to get the USB and heated seats on the 520D. However did you find anything out about the Service Inclusive? Was that an offer your dealer was doing or is it a BMW thing?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Kev131tc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

I rang BMW UK who again had no information and they suggested speaking with a dealer. The dealer DID have the information which was that heated seats and USB interface will be standard on all Jan 2011 onwards built cars....along with a £1,385 price increase...which incorporates the VAT rise of 2.5%.

So I think you are right - We (in Ireland) won't be getting the extra spec... for free anyway.

BMW Ireland said that there is no official offer on service inclusive for new orders but that individual dealers may offer their own inducements. Existing owners who did not take the service incl were being contacted & offered a second chance to buy provided they had not had any services carried out yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
mcquill
f10 520d M Sport
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sport Auto Space Grey

My dealer told me to expect a €2K increase from March/April, which would tie in with January builds; which should have additional spec, heated seats etc
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Why is it we always pay more and get less?
Sin an saol.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Why is it we always pay more and get less?
Sin an saol.
UK VAT is going up on the 4th Jan too 20%, thats across the board on EVERYTHING!!!!
      12-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
finbrad
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520D

2 yr warranty on a new 50k car was a joke- Hopefully 3 yr warranth will apply from 1/1/11- Have emailed dealer for clarification.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:

German warranty is 2 years, I bought a US spec car here in Germany, I am able through my job affiliated with the US, anyway, I lose the 5 year with maintenance even though my car is technically eligible for it and in return only get 2 years here. Not such a good deal.
      12-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
rogerdodger
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
German warranty is 2 years, I bought a US spec car here in Germany, I am able through my job affiliated with the US, anyway, I lose the 5 year with maintenance even though my car is technically eligible for it and in return only get 2 years here. Not such a good deal.
Lose the 5 Year??? I thought the USA warranty was 4 year/4 year maintenance/4 year roadside assistance?

Either way, we have a much better deal here in the USA, than our European cousins do. Lower prices, also.

With the British weather and 20% VAT, guess why I left those shores to reside in Florida

Sorry.... Couldn't resist

Last edited by rogerdodger; 12-09-2010 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

I am certain you are correct on the 4 year I was writing off the cuff. My point was that even though I buy a US spec car because I live in Germany I only receive 2 year warranty (unless I ship it back to the States for some warranty work year 3 and 4 ).

I cant complain though, i am able to buy the 550 and I bought at US prices so win some lose some, guess just jumping on OP and his reference to warranties injustices.
      12-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
rogerdodger
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
I am certain you are correct on the 4 year I was writing off the cuff. My point was that even though I buy a US spec car because I live in Germany I only receive 2 year warranty (unless I ship it back to the States for some warranty work year 3 and 4 ).

I cant complain though, i am able to buy the 550 and I bought at US prices so win some lose some, guess just jumping on OP and his reference to warranties injustices.
I did see your point and couldn't agree with you more

All these high end European manufacturers seem to take lots of liberties and only offer the bare minimum, in line with what the particular market will accept.

I remember, not too many years ago, when the German manufacturers offered just a 1 year warranty in England, when we were enjoying 3 and 4 year warranties in the States, for far less money.

Best regards - Roger
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Your exactly right rogerdoger, what the market will accept!

My best explanation for it, and its observed here in country, the expectations of customer service and that the company "owes" (for a lack of better words) you something is not present in Germany, hence the 2 year warranty when the same car gets 4 in another country for people other then there own, which also, an argument can be made, aren't cared for as well as they would be by Germans, hence the need for the free maintenance to get people in to care for their cars.

Anyway, someone far smarter then I sits in a room crunching numbers and coming up with the ideal warranty offer for each country based on many variables not to mention infrastructure and owner habits!
      12-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
finbrad
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520D

Got an e-mail from delaer today confirming cars delivered post 31/12/2011 will come with a 3 yr warranty-
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #16
mcquill
f10 520d M Sport
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sport Auto Space Grey

Finbrad I hope thats Dec 2010 not 2011?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 03:12 AM   #17
hedgey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d Sport & 520d Sport Tourin

Thumbs up Price drop due on 530d

I was in a main dealer yesterday and got talking to a senior sales guy.
We were just chatting about the 5.
I asked him how he felt about Audi selling more cars this year then BM and how the 3.0TDI is so much cheaper than the 530d. He responded with watch that space. There is an imminent reduction due on the 530d for anyone who might be buying.
Appreciate 0