2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions F10 Shifter Paddles Disassembly?

02-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
ArioF10
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

F10 Shifter Paddles Disassembly?

Has anyone taken these apart or know how?

My situation..My left side shifter randomly popped out of place and parts flew everywhere. I thought I had found them all, took a few minutes to look at the parts, figured out how they all went back together and attached it to the steering wheel. Unfortunately, as soon as I put it back on I realized it did not feel the same as the right side. The left side did not have that spring tension, so now it "engages" with the slightest touch. I ended up finding the spring, but now I can't disassemble the part all the way down to reach the area where the spring goes.

I know how to get the paddle shifter off of the steering wheel. My dilemma removing the actual paddle(-/+ part) from the black assembly case(highlighted in red in pics). Or does anyone know how to remove the circular pin found at the bottom of the shifter? That's whats actually keeping the paddle attached to the assembly. If anyone has done this or can provide any assistance I could really use it. Don't feel like paying a few hundred for the part.
Attached Images

Last edited by ArioF10; 02-28-2018 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 02:05 AM   #2
svirk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 528i, 2020 bmwx7 M50i

hey did you find out how to dissemble them.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi, MHD Stage 2+

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArioF10 View Post
Has anyone taken these apart or know how?

My situation..My left side shifter randomly popped out of place and parts flew everywhere. I thought I had found them all, took a few minutes to look at the parts, figured out how they all went back together and attached it to the steering wheel. Unfortunately, as soon as I put it back on I realized it did not feel the same as the right side. The left side did not have that spring tension, so now it "engages" with the slightest touch. I ended up finding the spring, but now I can't disassemble the part all the way down to reach the area where the spring goes.

I know how to get the paddle shifter off of the steering wheel. My dilemma removing the actual paddle(-/+ part) from the black assembly case(highlighted in red in pics). Or does anyone know how to remove the circular pin found at the bottom of the shifter? That's whats actually keeping the paddle attached to the assembly. If anyone has done this or can provide any assistance I could really use it. Don't feel like paying a few hundred for the part.
Push the pin you have circled in red out and the electronics parts should separate from the housing (it should go out easily from one side). Then you can replace either the housing or the electronics or like in your case it will give you access to put the spring back in place. Push the pin out carefully and note how the other end is latched to the paddle shifter housing so you can put it back. I had to do this recently to install new paddle shifters, so I had to replace the housing using the above described process.
Appreciate 0