2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Worth Selling Privately? Suggestions on value?

01-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
SCZ4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 525d M Sport & Z4M

Worth Selling Privately? Suggestions on value?

Evening all,

Potentially looking to go back to one car and sell my F11 525D (4 cyl 2.0 twin turbo, not the 3.0 earlier model) and Z4M into a 340i.

Anyway, discussing trade in values and quite shocked to be honest, given it was £5 shy of £50k with all the options just over 4 years ago November 2011) RRP that is, not what I paid at at 6 months old.

I'm out of touch with the market and what these cars actually sell for, especially as a private buy. Dealers don't seem to take the extras into consideration....

To help, here is the information I sent to the dealer.

Hi ######

I've attached 8 pictures, one shows the mileage at 42,584 miles, which increases by around 800 to 900 miles a month. As I mentioned, the car was serviced last week under the 5 year servicing plan I purchased. New front and rear brake pads were fitted the week before.

Options are as follows:
- Media Package - BMW Professional Sat Nav
- Electric front seats and driver memory
- Folding and auto dimming exterior mirrors
- Extended Luggage Features
- Fineline anthracite Wood Trim
- Metallic Paint
- roof Rails - Black
- Sport Automatic Transmission
- Sun Protection Glass
- Visibility Package

It's since had the rear ///M Performance diffuser fitted, genuine BMW 19" M5 alloys (408M style) with Michelin Pilot 3's (non RFT), all four were new in May, so done around 5000 miles, so I would estimate 6mm+ left, the car currently has it's winters wheels on and has since October, so 6 months of use. I also has a removable tow bar fitted, Eibach front springs and Logic 7 front speakers and tweeters. I also fitted M Performance front grills, not pictured below.

As I mentioned, the car has a full service history at my local dealer (John Clark Aberdeen), as follows:
12,567 Miles on 24/01/13
27,693 Miles on 16/07/14
42,448 Miles on 07/01/16

The car is also under extended warranty (cam sensor, crankshaft sensor & rear suspension component just last week), so there are no outstanding issues with the car that would need addressed. However, the bodywork would benefit from a few smart repairs to make it immaculate again. I can take pictures if required, but probably at the weekend now as it's dark out of work hours. Couple of rear alloys (not on the car at the moment) would benefit from a refurb due to one light kerbing mark approx 3" long and some "road rash". I think that's all. Interior is immaculate as you would expect.

Speak to you tomorrow.

Graeme
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
SCZ4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 525d M Sport & Z4M

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Nice car.

There's a few 525d M sports on the trader at the moment around the same age/mileage between £17k - £22k. Those are all with traders. Estates seem to be at the higher end of that range.

You could try yours at circa £20k and see what response you get?

Many people are weary of selling privately but I sold 2 within 4 months last year - a £25.5k A7 and a £29.5k X5 - with ease. Bank transfer direct into my account and a call to the bank to confirm.

I can never stomach dealer trade-in offers, I see it as a personal challenge to get at least £2k more than they offer me and I did in both cases.

I would never spend that sort of money privately (I bought both from dealers) but just because I wouldn't, doesn't mean others won't to save a few bob over what a dealer would charge for the same car.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 02:25 AM   #4
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I bought my last two privately, they were both within warranty so I checked them over thoroughly for signs of damage or damage repair, took them for an extended test drive, checked service history with dealers and did the usual HPI. I saved loads, I just ring a dealer give them the details of the car and pretend that I'm thinking of trading it in, this gives me a baseline as to how much the dealer has offered the seller for the car. I usually manage to get the vehicle for £1-2k over this value. Works a treat the seller gets more cash and is happy and I get a car considerably cheaper than the forecourt price! The cars have been well within warranty so it's worth the risk, not that either of the cars have had any issues with them... They were both low mileage cars under two years old.
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

given new cars can be got for over 20% off these days and then take off around %50 depreciation for 3 years as a ball park and you can see why you get to a figure of around 20k.

I keep my cars for longer to spread out that depreciation.
Appreciate 0