2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum This may be my last BMW

04-21-2015, 06:08 AM   #45
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
In short, RFTs have simply made it so your fancy bimmer can only be reliably used as a commuter vehicle. Only a fool would use a car solely equipped with RFTs for any kind of trip over 300 miles.
Get used to RFTs. Every manufacturer will be using them soon. The purpose of the RFT tire is the same as the "donut"; to save weight that can/needs to be used elsewhere. We all felt the same way when they came out with the space-saver spare. I've needed the spare twice (could be as high as 3) that I can remember in the last 40+ years of driving.

I must be a class-A fool... Been on 4 380+ mile drives (since I got the 535 3ish months ago), doing another this weekend and in a month or so will be taking a 2800 mile trip. I'm not at all concerned about getting a flat. I'm more concerned that the weather won't coperate.
You're a playin' a numbers game my man. Sooner or later a dude named Murphy is gonna have a nail drop out of his flatbed truck and you're gonna run over it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 06:14 AM   #46
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
To be honest, I really don't care that this spare issue affects other manufacturers. I am a loyal BMW customer. I really don't care what merc does.
To be fair it is not like this is a new problem, many gave up spare wheels in BMW models (and no space to put one) over 10-years ago, myself 9-years ago with an E91.

I'm a loyal BMW customer as well, I certainly wouldn't change marques due to the RFT, although I did seriously think about doing so. OK, I've had to think how do I cope with most eventualities, (have a plan B for the event of total failure), but in the worst case where I can't sort it myself, I'll lean on BMW for support within their Emergency cover. The same as if there was a mechanical failure.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #47
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I think you're confused. If I had "dealt with the car issue later" it would have been 8pm on a Sunday evening by the time the event was over - ZERO chance I would have been able to get it fixed. As it was, I had a slim window before the few service shops open on a Sunday could be located to fix it. Most shops would be closed by 5pm of the few that were open on Sunday to begin with AND had the right tire.

So, let's go with "deal with it later" - now, 8pm on a Sunday, the party lets out, and I'm with my wife and a toddler 100 miles from home, everything closed, trying to figure out what to do. The best I could have done is find a place to shack up for the night - locate a hotel nearby, or maybe a relative who wouldn't have minded the company. Let's not even begin to mention the PITA it would be to make sure you get the right supplies for a 22 month old - including diapers, wipes, their specific dietary needs, change of clothes, etc. AND, I'd be missing work the next day, so clearing my calendar of a dozen or so meetings on a Monday. And if I took BMW up on their offer to have the car towed, now I'm "carless" - so I'm looking to rent a car? Hope someone can drive me? Get a taxi? Not so quick - again, I have a 22 month old with a massive car seat to consider. I can go on here.

The reality is... NONE OF THAT should be necessary for a SIMPLE FLAT TIRE. For decades on end, men around the world have dealt with flat tires - yes, they suck, but they suck for only 20 minutes... while you take the spare out of the trunk, jack up the car, loosen some lug nuts, and change the wheel. Worst case scenario, you had AAA come out and do it for you. But it wasn't a completely debilitating event that left you stranded overnight somewhere. It's a flat tire for God's sake... but it might as well be a blown alternator, fuel pump or otherwise - because the end result is equivalent - your're done if you're not within 50 miles of your destination, AND you still need to be carless after you've reached that destination at some point because you need professional assistance to mount a new tire.

So, yes it was my decision to miss out on a big chunk of the party I was hosting, because the alternative would have been a much worse situation. And I got completely lucky in finding a shop that was open, had the right tire, and was close enough for me to get to before they closed. The point? Manufacturers, like BMW, who are doing away with spare tires and claiming that runflats are a "solution" are completely wrong. A runflat tire is simply a means to get you a short distance - to a safe location to change the tire. But the fact remains, the tire needs to be changed. And thank you very much, but I prefer to have the ABILITY to change that tire myself with a spare - not be at the mercy of shop and tire availability.
If you can afford an 80 thousand dollar car, you can afford to rent a car, drive home, and let BMW roadside deal with getting your car home on Monday. Is that an inconvenience? Yep. But it is better than missing your parents party. The older I get, the more I realize that priorities and choices in life are yours. Was your tire and car more important than your parents?

Shit happens and nothing in life will be perfect, regardless of how much money a person makes or how important he thinks he is. The run flat got you to your party on time, unscathed. Your choices after arriving at the party on time is where things began to unravel.

You won't find any space saver spare in my trunk. I have a cell phone and a credit card.
Appreciate 3
      04-21-2015, 07:26 AM   #48
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
You're a playin' a numbers game my man. Sooner or later a dude named Murphy is gonna have a nail drop out of his flatbed truck and you're gonna run over it.
And he will be able to carry on driving, topping up the pressures if required. But generally a nail will embed itself and seal leading to very little if any air pressure loss...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 07:30 AM   #49
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I say all this, but would still like a spare wheel under the floor, but don't see much hope of that ever happening again.
Agree so would I, but I guess we are just being realistic rather than polite.

I cant see this trend changing unless governments make rule changes stipulating cars should at least have a space saver spare...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #50
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I'm assuming from all of this that there is no space saver spare tire option on the F10 like there is on the F15? It's a choice on the F15, the space saver spare or extra storage.. That seems like the right solution to me, those that want the added peace of mind, get the space saver spare. Those that want the storage, don't... I see no reason all models can't have that same option. Not optional because you should have to pay extra for a spare on a luxury brand, but because not all of us want it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #51
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Here is my solution for a spare tire.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936545
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #52
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
What it a true blowout?
Yes. I hit a moon crater (e.g. pothole) that instantly blew the tire and the warning bells were ringing in under a second about low tire pressure. The car immediately drove with a "thumping" noise - all air gone, riding on the tire sidewall with a substantial crack in it.
Look at it with the glass half full, if it wasn't for the runflat tires, the blowout could have cause an serious accident with your family in the car. The Runflat did what it suppose to do, keep your car in control during a blowout. I do agree with you that runflats are not a good substitute for a spare tire. I have a feeling the next gen. 5 series with have a optional spare like the current X5. Unfortunately, many car manufacturers are gearing toward the no spare tire trend. I remember all the complaint when car manufacturers started using donuts instead of a full size spare. There are speed and distance limitation to dounts similar to the limitations on your wife's Q5 inflatable spare tire and runflat tires. Your R8 has no spare at all and the Q5 have a inflatable spare, therefore, you could have taken any one of your family's cars on this trip and the end result would be similar. Blowouts are a rare occurrence, but if I were ever in a blowout, I would rather be on runflats.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #53
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I say all this, but would still like a spare wheel under the floor, but don't see much hope of that ever happening again.
Agree so would I, but I guess we are just being realistic rather than polite.

I cant see this trend changing unless governments make rule changes stipulating cars should at least have a space saver spare...
It's funny you say that. I always thought having a spare tire was required by law.

Wouldn't that be funny if it turned out that nearly all 50 states require that your car have a spare tire and BMW was actually in violation of this law!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #54
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Just so we're clear guys, the argument here is not FOR or AGAINST the use of run-flat tires. Some of you keep saying, "... but the RFT got you to your destination." Yes, it did - perfect. I applaud the RFT, and I'm glad I had it.

This thread, however, is about the lack of a spare tire. It's a completely independent issue from whether you choose to use RFTs or not. RFTs were NOT designed to replace spare tires, just as wearing socks doesn't eliminate your need for underwear! They were designed to allow you to safely get to a location where a tire can be changed - simple. However, manufacturers of automobiles have taken it upon themselves to treat RFTs like a replacement for a spare. That's where the issue is here.

So again - we're clear - RFTs are wonderful inventions and I love them. Manufacturers choosing to leave spare tires off of their vehicles? BAD!

Now, do I believe this is all about the environment? Not for a minute. My 5-series weighs 4,400 lbs for God's sake! That's a mini tank. If BMW wanted to save some weight, they could have chosen to do it in likely 100 other ways that wouldn't cause such an inconvenience to their customers. Not including the rim and extra tire? That $$ savings likely has something to do with it - maybe a LOT to do with it when you look at the cost of a rim + tire.

And as for the folks here who are all so willing to check themselves into hotels, rent cars, and whatnot when they get a flat tire - all the more power to you. You guys must lead some very relaxing lives with plenty of time to spare, flexible schedules, and lots of patience. I don't plan to check my family into a hotel, get a rental car, stay overnight, etc for a flat tire - not for the cost, but for the utter ridiculous inconvenience for something that would have been completely unnecessary for 100 years prior... LITERALLY. BMW, and other manufacturers forcing this upon their customers, should be embarrassed honestly... as they preach progress and tout all of their technical innovations, this is the equivalent of needing to call a professional electrician to your home to change a lightbulb. As I said, for 100 years men around the world have easily changed their own flat tire - throwing on a spare. It's not PROGRESS when 100 years later, men are no longer able to get back on the road with a simple flat and are now conceding that it's "not so bad" to have to check into hotels, rent cars, buy changes of clothes, etc... for a flat. COME ON. If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Will manufacturers get the message here and return to having spares? Maybe, maybe not. Will I get rid of the 550xi for this issue alone? Maybe, maybe not. But I'm definitely going to take a look at other options, including other cars out there. This situation could have been a hell of a lot worse, as I said in previous posts - imagine getting stuck in some remote locale with only access to Bubba's garage (even after staying overnight in the local roach motel) only to find no 19" RFTs in stock, and waiting another day for delivery from the nearest shop, etc. If any of you think that's not so bad, again - great, more power to you. I suppose those of you who have small children or babies would know it's FAR from alright. And for me, as I've said, I can't swallow that as an acceptable "solution" to a flat tire - not when we've had a far superior solution (a simple spare) from the dawn of the automobile.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #55
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Now, do I believe this is all about the environment? Not for a minute. My 5-series weighs 4,400 lbs for God's sake! That's a mini tank. If BMW wanted to save some weight, they could have chosen to do it in likely 100 other ways that wouldn't cause such an inconvenience to their customers. Not including the rim and extra tire? That $$ savings likely has something to do with it - maybe a LOT to do with it when you look at the cost of a rim + tire.
It's ALL about saving every gram of weight to meet the ever increasing CAFE rules. When the Lincoln LS was first introduced the EPA MPG rules dictated the car start in 2nd gear (unless certain parameters were met) when in manual mode. That was to prevent triggering the Gas Guzzler tax; on a car that weighed in the neighborhood of 3800#!! Manufacturers scramble to extract 10ths of a mile per gallon! That's the reason the donut was first introduced; a 20# donut vs. a 50# full size spare.

It's ALL about gummint intervention in the auto industry; over "there" or here.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #56
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
And as for the folks here who are all so willing to check themselves into hotels, rent cars, and whatnot when they get a flat tire - all the more power to you. You guys must lead some very relaxing lives with plenty of time to spare, flexible schedules, and lots of patience. I don't plan to check my family into a hotel, get a rental car, stay overnight, etc for a flat tire - not for the cost, but for the utter ridiculous inconvenience for something that would have been completely unnecessary for 100 years prior... LITERALLY. BMW, and other manufacturers forcing this upon their customers, should be embarrassed honestly... as they preach progress and tout all of their technical innovations, this is the equivalent of needing to call a professional electrician to your home to change a lightbulb.
All valid points and I completely agree with you...but....

You had to consider this might happen to you at some point. Either at the time you started shopping or the moment you purchased the car that has no spare tire.

I'm fairly new to the brand, but remember when friend of mine mentioned he had no spare on his BMW about 5 year ago, same as you now, I could not believe stupidity of that decision - RF or not, I had hard time digesting this. In fact I almost decided to go with another brand for that reason only.... key word here being "almost" . But same as you, I decided on BMW and no spare, and somewhere along the line I (silently perhaps) accepted that I might be in this situation. With my wife, kids, maybe heading to most important meeting of my life, s... happens, what can you do.

Again, yes, I would much rather have spare in my trunk, and you're making great and valid points, no reason to get stranded in this day and age due to flat tire, but all of us here kinda willingly accepted the risk. RF or not, flat tire is always pain, some just suck more than others.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 09:54 PM   #57
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Actually, searching BimmerPost - countless stories similar to mine. Here's one I love from an M5 owner that shows you just how bad it could be:

"I can speak from personal experience here. The week after Thanksgiving we excitedly departed on a road trip from central california to seattle. Spirits were high, scenery was amazing. Then at about 10:30pm, on the 101 north of Eureka, in the midst of a heavy downpour we hit a rock that had fallen on the road, and the rear left tire blows out. Pulled over. Used the compressor with the goo, goo spills out the backside of the tire through the very large gash. BMW assist emergency button thingy, no coverage. My friend and I both have AT&T, also no coverage. Friend walks a mile up the road to a call box. He makes several attempts to contact BMW assist, with the help of the dispatcher. After many dropped calls our position is successfully relayed, and help is on the way. Two hours later a flatbed arrives and takes us back to Eureka, and we drop off the car at the smallest BMW dealership I have ever seen. We arrive at Holiday Inn express at 2am. Five days later, worlds smallest but friendliest BMW dealership has finally received and installed replacement tire. My friend flies up to Eureka and brings the car home. Good times.

I'm either getting a donut or a full size front wheel/tire to carry in the trunk for future road trips."

Stranded 5 days for a flat tire - AWESOME.

I've looked into a space saver - looks like there's an option that could work. I'm still unsure if I want to take up a large chunk of space in the trunk for this thing, but I think it's the only way I'd keep the car. I also think if I decide to keep the car, I'm switching away from the LS2 tires - can't help but believe these are somehow at fault, too.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #58
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34
Quote:
And as for the folks here who are all so willing to check themselves into hotels, rent cars, and whatnot when they get a flat tire - all the more power to you. You guys must lead some very relaxing lives with plenty of time to spare, flexible schedules, and lots of patience. I don't plan to check my family into a hotel, get a rental car, stay overnight, etc for a flat tire - not for the cost, but for the utter ridiculous inconvenience for something that would have been completely unnecessary for 100 years prior... LITERALLY. BMW, and other manufacturers forcing this upon their customers, should be embarrassed honestly... as they preach progress and tout all of their technical innovations, this is the equivalent of needing to call a professional electrician to your home to change a lightbulb.
All valid points and I completely agree with you...but....

You had to consider this might happen to you at some point. Either at the time you started shopping or the moment you purchased the car that has no spare tire.

I'm fairly new to the brand, but remember when friend of mine mentioned he had no spare on his BMW about 5 year ago, same as you now, I could not believe stupidity of that decision - RF or not, I had hard time digesting this. In fact I almost decided to go with another brand for that reason only.... key word here being "almost" . But same as you, I decided on BMW and no spare, and somewhere along the line I (silently perhaps) accepted that I might be in this situation. With my wife, kids, maybe heading to most important meeting of my life, s... happens, what can you do.

Again, yes, I would much rather have spare in my trunk, and you're making great and valid points, no reason to get stranded in this day and age due to flat tire, but all of us here kinda willingly accepted the risk. RF or not, flat tire is always pain, some just suck more than others.
Yes, your points are valid in that we are all adults.

I see the real problem that we were aware that there was no spare, but we really didn't understand the problem.

I see this problem analogous to mirroring or replicating your computer's disk drive.

Mirroring or replicating will save your life if a disk mechanism fails. But, without more, mirroring and replicating provide no protection if the software scrambles your files or you accidentally delete a file.

For that you need a snapshot or some kind of archive utility.

Same with RFT... If the failure mode is a pressure loss event, it's got you covered for a short while. Anything else and you've scribbled on all copies of your superblock!

Maybe it's time to virtualize our tires:

umount -f /rightRear
mount /dev/RFT2 /rightRear
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 06:54 AM   #59
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

That idea of having BMW centers stock universal spare tires is a great idea and seems like such an obvious solution (aside from having an actual spare in the car which of course is best).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #60
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Even spare dounts and inflatable spare tires have speed and mileage limitations, the only real solution is to have a full size spare.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #61
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
umount -f /rightRear
Haha - as a software guy myself, love it.

And your data replication vs. snapshot analogy is dead-on, too.

I never got a response from BMW Customer Service. I suspect they get quite a few complaints about "no spare" so perhaps I'm "another one of those" that will go unanswered. I'll admit, I find it quite rude even IF that's the case.

So, moving on from simply complaining about their stupidity to finding a practical solution... here are the options I've come up with:

1. Get the BimmerZone space saver tire. For a few hundred bucks, it's an inexpensive piece of insurance. The issue I have with it is, while it's much smaller than a full sized tire in my trunk, it WILL render the trunk considerably less useful when packing some suitcases for a trip, picking up a large piece of cargo, etc. But it's probably not an issue 98% of the time.

2. Swap out the run-flat tires with regular tires, then add a tire repair kit in the trunk. Whether it's just the LS2s, or perhaps all RFTs in general due to a harder sidewall, I can't help but feel that these tires blowing out isn't quite normal. I ran my previous 335i with low profile tires on Michelin PSS tires for 7 year and 89k miles without one tire failure - hitting enough potholes along the way to justify repairing all 4 rims along the way! I had this same setup in the 335i (non-RFT + tire repair kit), and perhaps it's the right option to return to here?

3. Swap out the LS2s for a different type of RFT, then add the tire repair kit. If the problem is largely with the LS2s, this may still not be perfect, but perhaps it would dramatically reduce the problem.

4. Get a new car that comes with an actual spare and space for it. This is obviously the most extreme option, but there ARE a few things I find alluring about it. 1 - I get a new car, and who doesn't like that? 2 - There's the principle of it.

Only options #1 and #4 offer a TRUE solution - as both would have real spare tires. Option #2 may be a solid compromise, though, since I've driven my past 3-series like this for many years without problems. As I said, I can't help but think the RFTs (and maybe specifically the LS2) is largely responsible for the problems in the first place. The risk may still be there without a spare, but the LS2 seems to be PRONE to failure.

Finally, #4 is semi-appealing since I do like the idea of RFTs and their benefit, but perhaps another manufacturer does it better. I haven't looked into reviews, though. My concern with #4 is that if RFTs, in general, are more prone to failure in a hard pothole impact, it may not reduce my risk at all. And the two failures I've had on the LS2's were both sidewall blowouts - which would not be repairable with the tire repair kits (goo in a can w/ compressor). So #4 could potentially leave me still just as exposed.

I welcome any input from you guys - what are your setups?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 04:13 AM   #62
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I never got a response from BMW Customer Service. I suspect they get quite a few complaints about "no spare" so perhaps I'm "another one of those" that will go unanswered. I'll admit, I find it quite rude even IF that's the case.

So, moving on from simply complaining about their stupidity to finding a practical solution... here are the options I've come up with:

1. Get the BimmerZone space saver tire. For a few hundred bucks, it's an inexpensive piece of insurance. The issue I have with it is, while it's much smaller than a full sized tire in my trunk, it WILL render the trunk considerably less useful when packing some suitcases for a trip, picking up a large piece of cargo, etc. But it's probably not an issue 98% of the time.

2. Swap out the run-flat tires with regular tires, then add a tire repair kit in the trunk. Whether it's just the LS2s, or perhaps all RFTs in general due to a harder sidewall, I can't help but feel that these tires blowing out isn't quite normal. I ran my previous 335i with low profile tires on Michelin PSS tires for 7 year and 89k miles without one tire failure - hitting enough potholes along the way to justify repairing all 4 rims along the way! I had this same setup in the 335i (non-RFT + tire repair kit), and perhaps it's the right option to return to here?

3. Swap out the LS2s for a different type of RFT, then add the tire repair kit. If the problem is largely with the LS2s, this may still not be perfect, but perhaps it would dramatically reduce the problem.

4. Get a new car that comes with an actual spare and space for it. This is obviously the most extreme option, but there ARE a few things I find alluring about it. 1 - I get a new car, and who doesn't like that? 2 - There's the principle of it.

Only options #1 and #4 offer a TRUE solution - as both would have real spare tires. Option #2 may be a solid compromise, though, since I've driven my past 3-series like this for many years without problems. As I said, I can't help but think the RFTs (and maybe specifically the LS2) is largely responsible for the problems in the first place. The risk may still be there without a spare, but the LS2 seems to be PRONE to failure.

Finally, #4 is semi-appealing since I do like the idea of RFTs and their benefit, but perhaps another manufacturer does it better. I haven't looked into reviews, though. My concern with #4 is that if RFTs, in general, are more prone to failure in a hard pothole impact, it may not reduce my risk at all. And the two failures I've had on the LS2's were both sidewall blowouts - which would not be repairable with the tire repair kits (goo in a can w/ compressor). So #4 could potentially leave me still just as exposed.

There may be a fifth option, after all this talk of a universal spare wheel and HP's link to the AA (national breakdown service in the UK) website I found that another breakdown service in the UK, RAC, is now carrying these wheels in all of their vehicles. Here's a quote from their website;

'Increasingly, cars are being sold without a spare wheel included as standard, often to the disbelief of motorists who go to look for it when their car suffers a puncture or flat tyre. The RAC Universal Spare Wheel was designed to tackle this problem. In 2013 our patrols dealt with around 94,000 ‘puncture no spare’ breakdowns – a 33% increase on 2012, but a considerably greater 223% increase since 2010 when there were just 29,000 breakdowns. With 2015 figures expected to rise to 250,000, our Breakdown Cover issued all our Patrols with a Universal Spare Wheel, to help prevent our members from being caught out'.

Might be worth looking into whether a US breakdown service with decent national coverage offers the same solution. Saves you having to carry around a wheel, but obviously if you do get another blow out you still have to somehow carry the wheel afterwards and you are in effect paying for a service that BMW should provide...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #63
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I would get rid of the Good Year Eagle LS2, worst tires ever. I had a set of Good year non-runflat in my 2003 MDX, light snow traction is horrible and one of the tire developed a tire bubble after 5000 miles. The construction of these Good year tires are sub-par in my opinion, that might explain why you had so many tire failures. If you research runflat failure in any BMW forum, 90% of the time it is a Good Year tire that is the culprit. The problem is the runflat tires but Good Year tires in general. If I were you, I would Switch the Good Year out for a set of Bridgestone Driveguard and pick up a donut spare and leave it in your garage and use it for long trips. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #64
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass
Quote:
umount -f /rightRear

Wow, that bugs me to hear BMW has all of this infrastructure in place with customer service and they won't call back.

The only viable option for me is #1. Now, what kind of jack do we need and where do we buy it? Also, I remember when BMW did offer a spare, there were special places where you had to mount the jack under the car. Plus, on some BMW jacks, there was a fin the slid into the jack for perfect alignment. Do you know if this is still the case?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #65
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Please see pics of the brand new compact spare 135/90R17 104M, with tools:

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  206.2 KB Name:  02.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  80.1 KB Name:  03.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  71.3 KB Name:  04.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  162.1 KB Name:  06.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  123.9 KB Name:  07.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  55.2 KB Name:  08.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  53.0 KB

Last edited by valbmw; 04-23-2015 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #66
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbmw View Post
Please see pics of the brand new compact spare 135/90R17 104M, with tools:
Thee 550i needs 18" to clear the brakes, so I can't imagine that spare to fit the 550i.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0