2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2020 m550 why do I have to lock my doors?

12-14-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
jeff123z
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535xi

2020 m550 why do I have to lock my doors?

I got a 2020 m550 about six weeks ago. My third 5 series and when I turn the car off and get out I have to lock the doors to turn off the interior lights. I can press and hold the radio volume button for a few seconds and everything will turn off and I can close the door and walk away without locking the doors. If I open the back door to get something the lights turn back on and I have to lock the doors to get the interior lights to turn off. In my previous cars all I had to do was hit the start stop button twice and walk away. I went back to the dealership to ask if there was a setting and the response I got from the sales manager was that he was still trying to figure out how to change the setting in his new X5 and that it was very annoying. I valet parked my car at a restaurant and they left it parked out in front while I ate. I came out of the restaurant 2.5hrs later and the interior lights were still on because the valet guys don’t know you have to lock the doors. I have been driving for 30yrs and I have never locked my car in my garage. I was going out with my wife and kids in my wife’s suv and I wanted to grab my sunglasses from my car. I had to go inside walk upstairs to get my keys so I could unlock the car. This car is awesome and a blast to drive but it’s a real pain in the ass having to keep it locked. Anybody figure out a solution?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 12:29 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff123z View Post
I got a 2020 m550 about six weeks ago. My third 5 series and when I turn the car off and get out I have to lock the doors to turn off the interior lights. I can press and hold the radio volume button for a few seconds and everything will turn off and I can close the door and walk away without locking the doors. If I open the back door to get something the lights turn back on and I have to lock the doors to get the interior lights to turn off. In my previous cars all I had to do was hit the start stop button twice and walk away. I went back to the dealership to ask if there was a setting and the response I got from the sales manager was that he was still trying to figure out how to change the setting in his new X5 and that it was very annoying. I valet parked my car at a restaurant and they left it parked out in front while I ate. I came out of the restaurant 2.5hrs later and the interior lights were still on because the valet guys don’t know you have to lock the doors. I have been driving for 30yrs and I have never locked my car in my garage. I was going out with my wife and kids in my wife’s suv and I wanted to grab my sunglasses from my car. I had to go inside walk upstairs to get my keys so I could unlock the car. This car is awesome and a blast to drive but it’s a real pain in the ass having to keep it locked. Anybody figure out a solution?
This is the F10 forum. You will probably have better luck here...

IIRC, there is a timer that automatically turns the lights off after a certain amount of time. Me suspects the valet (or someone else) was in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
clark_tony@hotmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535iWagon

First Reply
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #4
e38740imd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i

you should be able to change the settings by using bimmercode software.

its and option to adjust on my 6er
Appreciate 0