2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications is the f10 535 slow?

03-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #23
hp jnkey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i M-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
Just so were on the same page, youre taking a N55 single turbo engine that makes just under 300 rwhp stock, and adding over 150 rear wheel horsepower with a JB4 and catless downpipe only?
Who ever said anything about how much HP the car makes? No me.

All I said was that the car is fast.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #24
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp jnkey View Post
Who ever said anything about how much HP the car makes? No me.

All I said was that the car is fast.
Per you...
Quote:
He's had a few runs against stock 550's and walks them.
That would infer that said 535 is capable of running faster than low 13s/high 12s at 108+, considering most ratings of the 535 stock are 13.9-14.0 @99ish, that would establish a significant difference in power required to "walk them", which I consider at least a few car lengths. To continue "walking them" above 80 mph, that 535 better be packing 400+ at the tires minimum to keep up with the top end of a 550i... closer to 450 to achieve "walking them" as identical numbers (my bone stock 550 made 390 horsepower to the tires last week) would only get you close at lower speeds.

Now if your definition of "walking him" is pulling ahead of him slightly, and your definition of "a race" is punching it off the line and not letting the other party know youre racing, but then quickly letting off at 60 before the other guy even downshifts, then yes, I can see that outcome being possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 12:11 AM   #25
hp jnkey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i M-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
Per you...

That would infer that said 535 is capable of running faster than low 13s/high 12s at 108+, considering most ratings of the 535 stock are 13.9-14.0 @99ish, that would establish a significant difference in power required to "walk them", which I consider at least a few car lengths. To continue "walking them" above 80 mph, that 535 better be packing 400+ at the tires minimum to keep up with the top end of a 550i... closer to 450 to achieve "walking them" as identical numbers (my bone stock 550 made 390 horsepower to the tires last week) would only get you close at lower speeds.

Now if your definition of "walking him" is pulling ahead of him slightly, and your definition of "a race" is punching it off the line and not letting the other party know youre racing, but then quickly letting off at 60 before the other guy even downshifts, then yes, I can see that outcome being possible.
what ever dude
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 04:01 AM   #26
mp411
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Did you end up doing both front and rear sway bars? I use to race way way way back in the days and speed was everything. I think now that I'm older I still love speed but not crazy speed. The kind where I'll drop thousands of dollars rebuilding the motor doctile sleeves in the block over bore pistons crank balanced and blue printed port & Polish 3angle valve job titanium valve and springs aggressive racing cams and oversized throttle body and engine management. I'm satisfied with the power of the 535 but adding the normal modifications tune and exhaust should be fine with me.

I did both front and back. sways were the most noticeable diff in handling imo. the car is much more fun to corner with the light suspension upgrade, perfect for the amount of power the 535 has. i was thinking about hp upgrades but it seems like its too much work for not that much gain for this car. maybe an exhaust later for noise but thats it but for now, just the suspension upgrades and stock motor is already tons of fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #27
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp411 View Post
I did both front and back. sways were the most noticeable diff in handling imo. the car is much more fun to corner with the light suspension upgrade, perfect for the amount of power the 535 has. i was thinking about hp upgrades but it seems like its too much work for not that much gain for this car. maybe an exhaust later for noise but thats it but for now, just the suspension upgrades and stock motor is already tons of fun.
Good to know suspension upgrade improved the handling better for you. The stock 535i is loads of fun but I'm thinking of going with a simple tune just to give it that extra kick.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #28
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Good to know suspension upgrade improved the handling better for you. The stock 535i is loads of fun but I'm thinking of going with a simple tune just to give it that extra kick.
just find something used on the internet... whether its a AFE, Burger stage 1, race chip whatever... they all pretty much do the same thing, and the turbos are long maxed out before any of them add any power in the peak area. Unless you plan on getting into major mods like downpipe and such, the JB4 is nice because it deletes codes for you.
Appreciate 0