2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Does auto-ventilation come on after door locks?

05-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
b_u_d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Graphite Metallic F10 Sport

Does auto-ventilation come on after door locks?

After I parked the car and enabled the option "Auto-ventilation", it started blowing air from the vent even after I closed the door. Is that ok? Will it drain the battery? Does it turn itself off after some time and come on as the temperature raises in the cabin?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_u_d View Post
After I parked the car and enabled the option "Auto-ventilation", it started blowing air from the vent even after I closed the door. Is that ok? Will it drain the battery? Does it turn itself off after some time and come on as the temperature raises in the cabin?
Not sure if you are talking about the Timing vent function or something else. Notmally when you leave the car, your HVAC system should be shut down.

The timing ventilation feature is just a "timed" function for setting the cabin blower motor to come on. I believe it comes on for 20 minutes from the clock setting that you set it for, so should be no problem for the battery. It does not turn itself on based on temperature in the cabin, nor does it turn the A/C on in the Summer, or the Heater on in the Winter. That being said, I find it handy to cool the cabin down somewhat and usually set it to come on 15 minutes prior to leaving work. I even put this setting as one of my eight favorite buttons on the dash, which makes it that much easier to click on either of the two times I have set.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
b_u_d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Graphite Metallic F10 Sport

Right. I am aware there is a timer. But I was looking the grey-out line above the timer where it says "Parked-car ventilation". It is greyed out when the car is running but once you turn off the car, you can check on or off this option. When this option is enabled, it shows a three curvy lines in the center console above the auto climate control and starts blowing air from the vent. If I set the timer on, there are "snow flake" icons on the console as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Right. I am aware there is a timer. But I was looking the grey-out line above the timer where it says "Parked-car ventilation". It is greyed out when the car is running but once you turn off the car, you can check on or off this option. When this option is enabled, it shows a three curvy lines in the center console above the auto climate control and starts blowing air from the vent. If I set the timer on, there are "snow flake" icons on the console as well.
The one that becomes enabled when you shut the car off is for using the fan immediately, similar to residual heat ("rest"). I believe you have the same 30-minute time limit as when you use the timers. If, for example, you are going into a store and your only alternative is to park the car in direct sunlight, you can use the immediate ventilation to keep the air circulating while you're out of the car.

I use mine as GHueser suggests. I commute into Boston on the train, so I have a pretty good idea of when I'll be back. In the summer, I typically set the first time for 2:00 PM to get rid of the mid-day heat, then I set the second time for 20 minutes before my train is due in. It's nice to come back and have the car be "only" 90 degrees, instead of 130 to 140. (That's Fahrenheit, of course!)
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Not sure about this aspect Bud....I was not aware that we had this and will have to read up on that feature. I would suspect that there is a 30 minute timer.
Appreciate 0