2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW F10 528xi and 535i Hybrid Scheduled to Debut This Fall

07-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #23
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

The only reason to buy a hybrid is to feel good about yourself or to make a statement. From a cost analysis they make zero sense. Diesel is the horse I would bet on.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #24
engotski
oh haiii
Philippines
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

My heatshield sustained some cuts from cutting the oem exhaust...if your particular about your car make sure theyre really careful. A vein or two popped when I saw mine after the install
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #25
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
The only reason to buy a hybrid is to feel good about yourself or to make a statement. From a cost analysis they make zero sense. Diesel is the horse I would bet on.
Not in the United States. People in America don't drive Diesels & Wagons for passenger cars for some reason. The complete opposite trends are seen in Europe.

I bet hybrids would sell better than Diesels in the US.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #26
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Aside from feeling good about oneself, I can't see much reason to buy a BMW hybrid. It's highly unlikely that the price premium for a BMW hybrid will be offset in any reasonable period of time (something less than three years) by the fuel savings. And for those folks who'd keep the car for, say 10 years, the intervening years would likely show technology advances that would make the savings value obsolete anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #27
engotski
oh haiii
Philippines
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

I bet you theyre away on vacation
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #28
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips335d View Post
Should be a 535d being released instead of the hybrid. Very disappointed. BMW had a great opportunity here to expand the diesel lineup.

Sales of the diesels have gotten much stronger and I guarantee the hybrid won't do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and have a full tank range of 700 miles.

The 535 hybrid will not be a success.
I understand where you're coming from, but there is a reason why they aren't releasing the new diesel engines here in America yet.

The new diesels do not comply with U.S. emissions regulations as to the stricter laws and regulations in California. Another catalyst must be added so that the exhaust burns cleaner. Why this isn't BMW's first U.S. priority I cannot say, but I can assure you it is in the works.

I will disagree with you on the part of the hybrid not being a success, and here's why.

The 750i and X6 ActiveHybrid (and similarly the S400 Hybrid and LS 600h L) are simply too expensive. Hybrids were originally introduced to satisfy the frugal, environmentally-conscious consumer. There is hardly anything frugal about $101,000 and 17/26 city/highway miles per gallon, especially when the purely gasoline-powered 740i (which costs around 30% less) achieves 17/25 city/highway miles per gallon. This alone exposes cars like the 750i and X6 ActiveHybrid for what they're truly worth: status symbols, half-heartedly spearheading the over-hyped campaign for a healthier environment--at least for those who can foot the bill; an all talk and no game situation, for sure.

Toyota (and other similar carmakers) promotes a self-perpetuated sense of pride in the minds of its consumers and supporters, in that one must sacrifice vanity as an investment in the future of the global community. Where the Toyota Prius is ugly, its high fuel efficiency, low cost, and impressively low drag coefficient of 0.25 are reasons enough to persuade the average Whole Foods shopper to take a trip to their local Toyota dealer. PETA is similar with their campaign, "I'd Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur," where celebrities--and subsequently their fans/devotees--promise that they would prefer to bare it all than sport a super-chic, über-expensive fur coat, regardless of whether or not they feel confident with their bodies.

So BMW is somewhat trying to follow suit. While there's nothing inexpensive about the 5-series, let alone any BMW, there is definitely some effort being put forth. BMW might actually prove itself worthy in areas more socially acceptable than the cost-ineffective study as to whether the U.S. needs another inane excuse for a cross-market "not-a-people-mover-but-an-SAV."

And people like you and me who pay attention will recognize that.

Last edited by xDrive35i; 07-24-2011 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #29
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
Not in the United States. People in America don't drive Diesels & Wagons for passenger cars for some reason. The complete opposite trends are seen in Europe.

I bet hybrids would sell better than Diesels in the US.
Diesels are plagued by the age-old, misinformed, and pretentiously prideful misconception that they are slow, smelly, harmful, and "only-to-be-driven-by-truckers." If the people in this country would actually read a press release and the fine print they might see that diesels are now typically clean-burning and buying one offers a tax-incentive.

Wagons are awesome, in my opinion, but I'm an enthusiast, and most Americans don't have the patience or the luxury to spend on a low-slung, high-performance sports wagon. I would have gone for the new 5-series wagon had BMW decided to bring it here to the states, as I had an E60 wagon and loved it. But no, stubborn Americans had to ruin it for us, forcing upon us the entirely too expensive and utterly pointless 5-series GT. So I bought the new X3 instead. But had the new 35d engine been ready for the X3 in America, I would have checked the little box next to that over the 35i.

And you're right. Hybrids do sell better in the US...when they don't cost $101,000.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:39 AM   #30
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Also disappointed at no diesel 5er in the U.S. Would have loved to test drive either a 520d or 535d. The 335d is awesome. Not a fan of hybrids here either....
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #31
DPritchett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 528i

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
Same reason the 640i isn't being offered initially. Get people who want the car to buy the more expensive version, then once they are weeded out, bring the cheaper model in.
Aren't the x-drive models usually priced higher than the non x-drive versions? Unless you are saying that they withheld the 528xi to get ppeople to buy the 535 or 550xi. But then, why bother with the 528 at all in the first year. Just force everyone to take the 535 or 550 or nothing?

2006 325xi |SG - Terra - Walnut | Steptronic | Premium Package - Nav | Zenon Adaptive Headlights | Blacklines; iPod Adapter
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #32
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPritchett View Post
Aren't the x-drive models usually priced higher than the non x-drive versions? Unless you are saying that they withheld the 528xi to get ppeople to buy the 535 or 550xi. But then, why bother with the 528 at all in the first year. Just force everyone to take the 535 or 550 or nothing?
The real reason that some models come later than others is that you can only manage so much at once. Introducing new models gradually helps isolate issues and allows for better quality control for new tooling, products and processes.

As far as which models come first - it is probably a complex decision tree based upon demand, cost, ROI, upsellability, and plenty of other factors.
Appreciate 0