2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Impressed with Autohold

08-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #67
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_S5 View Post
Think of it this way. If you engage a conventional handbrake. When you press the brake, the handbrake wouldn't dis-engage itself unless you dis-engage it with your own hand...
Quite agree, but to reiterate my earlier statement: you don't have to press the footbrake in order to do so. In other words, there is no interlock between the two and, should you want to do so, you can disengage a conventional handbrake simply by pressing the thumb release and lowering the lever, regardless of where your left foot is - that was my point .
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #68
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_S5 View Post
...I was thinking more of a safety regulations so maybe for prior year model the electronic e brakes will disengage itself when you press the gas. On newer models it wouldn't...
It's the other way around - my 2010 car does not release on the accelerator alone, whereas 'Fat dog's' 2012 model does.
There's a possibility that this is because my car is an F10 and his is an F11, but we're currently thinking that this is a production date difference.
We'll be able to confirm when 'Arnsbrae' gets his new F10 and posts his findings.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #69
Nison
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 40iX

i just dont see why i need that with an auto transmission
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #70
MPH
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530D SE 2013 Imperial Blue

So I've carried out the definitive test. When I apply the foot brake, my brake lights come on. When I release the foot brake, the brake lights go out. When I apply the handbrake, the brake lights don't come on, nor do they do so when I release the handbrake.

After many hours of testing, I can definitively state that it is the pressure on the brake pedal that activates the brake lights and the handbrake has no effect on the brake lights whatsoever.

Speaking to many friends and colleagues I can also confirm that this applies to not only all BMW models and years, automatics or manual, but remarkably to every other car brand tested with the exception of white vans where it was found that no matter which pedals were pressed, the brake lights steadfastly refused to activate.
      08-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #71
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
So I've carried out the definitive test. When I apply the foot brake, my brake lights come on. When I release the foot brake, the brake lights go out. When I apply the handbrake, the brake lights don't come on, nor do they do so when I release the handbrake.

After many hours of testing, I can definitively state that it is the pressure on the brake pedal that activates the brake lights and the handbrake has no effect on the brake lights whatsoever.

Speaking to many friends and colleagues I can also confirm that this applies to not only all BMW models and years, automatics or manual, but remarkably to every other car brand tested with the exception of white vans where it was found that no matter which pedals were pressed, the brake lights steadfastly refused to activate.
You appear to have completely missed the point in question.
What you say is entirely true and I wouldn't begin to disagree with your findings, but I have to express a degree of surprise at the fact that it took you "many hours of testing" to reach your conclusion.
The issue that has been causing confusion here is whether or not the brake lights illuminate with the electromechanical parking brake in auto-hold and, following a conclusive, series of tests which didn't take more than a few minutes, we've agreed that they remain on with it applied, but are not activated when the parking brake switch is manually operated.
I appreciate your lengthy testing procedures and consultations with your many friends and colleagues, but your efforts really weren't necessary as I was well aware of how brake lights react to foot and conventional hand brake operation.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #72
MPH
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
You appear to have completely missed the point in question.
What you say is entirely true and I wouldn't begin to disagree with your findings, but I have to express a degree of surprise at the fact that it took you "many hours of testing" to reach your conclusion.
The issue that has been causing confusion here is whether or not the brake lights illuminate with the electromechanical parking brake in auto-hold and, following a conclusive, series of tests which didn't take more than a few minutes, we've agreed that they remain on with it applied, but are not activated when the parking brake switch is manually operated.
I appreciate your lengthy testing procedures and consultations with your many friends and colleagues, but your efforts really weren't necessary as I was well aware of how brake lights react to foot and conventional hand brake operation.
But my car is an automatic?
      08-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #73
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
But my car is an automatic?
So is mine, but what's that got to do with how brake lights respond to foot, hand or auto-hold park brake operation?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #74
MPH
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So is mine, but what's that got to do with how brake lights respond to foot, hand or auto-hold park brake operation?
Well I use the brake to hold the car when the automatic gearbox is in drive. Auto-hold?
      08-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #75
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Well I use the brake to hold the car when the automatic gearbox is in drive. Auto-hold?
Unless your foot operates independently of your neurological process, it's not really automatic - if you think about it, that is.
What the auto-hold system does is to keep the brakes applied whilst the car is stationary, without you having to keep your foot on the brake. Granted, this act isn't overly taxing, but it's one less thing to think about and I can't imagine that there's never been a rear-end shunt caused by a driver's foot, perhaps absentmindedly, slipping off the brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #76
MPH
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Unless your foot operates independently of your neurological process, it's not really automatic - if you think about it, that is.
What the auto-hold system does is to keep the brakes applied whilst the car is stationary, without you having to keep your foot on the brake. Granted, this act isn't overly taxing, but it's one less thing to think about and I can't imagine that there's never been a rear-end shunt caused by a driver's foot, perhaps absentmindedly, slipping off the brake pedal.
Well I do have an artificial foot so strictly speaking it does act independently of my neurological process (whatever that might be). Occasionally at long traffic lights I detach it and leave it on the foot brake if it gets too taxing. So would this count as auto-hold?
      08-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #77
Fantasm
Lieutenant
Algeria
Rep
Drives: SL63

.................................................. ..... uh ok.
      08-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #78
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Well I do have an artificial foot so strictly speaking it does act independently of my neurological process (whatever that might be). Occasionally at long traffic lights I detach it and leave it on the foot brake if it gets too taxing. So would this count as auto-hold?
Well, had you mentioned that in the first place, I would never have questioned your reasoning.
You are, of course, entirely correct in that you have an automatic foot.
Whatever will they think of next......?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #79
MPH
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well, had you mentioned that in the first place, I would never have questioned your reasoning.
You are, of course, entirely correct in that you have an automatic foot.
Whatever will they think of next......?
      08-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #80
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
It's the other way around - my 2010 car does not release on the accelerator alone, whereas 'Fat dog's' 2012 model does.
There's a possibility that this is because my car is an F10 and his is an F11, but we're currently thinking that this is a production date difference.
We'll be able to confirm when 'Arnsbrae' gets his new F10 and posts his findings.
Hi Jon,

Your theory is bang on. I picked up my F10 about an hour ago. When I put the "handbrake" on, I find it releases seamlessly by itself when I move off. So I will use that at lights to reduce dazzle for drivers behind me.

The car is a huge step up from the E60 I've had for 5 years. Believe it or not I didn't even have a test drive - I originally planned to go for an F30 but changed my order...