2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Auto wipers

12-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Fokker123
Rep
Drives: 520d MSport

Collected my F11 m sport in space grey last week and have a question - One thing that annoys me are the auto wipers which for some reason don't work as convincingly as my other car with this feature. The variation switch is pretty useless. When it's raining heavily and I'm at town speeds the wipers don't compensate enough even with the stalk switch at its most sensitive setting, leaving me no option but to use the manual override. It seems to wait until I can't see anything before wiping the screen. When at higher speeds its works better. Is there any other war of adjusting the variation / dealer programming etc?

Anyone else with this issue? I'm lucky enough to have a 911 c4s as well and the auto wipers on that are finely judged as was my old m3 and Alpina D3. The F11 is useless. : /

Dave

Ps Merry Xmas all !
      12-25-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker123 View Post
Collected my F11 m sport in space grey last week and have a question - One thing that annoys me are the auto wipers which for some reason don't work as convincingly as my other car with this feature. The variation switch is pretty useless. When it's raining heavily and I'm at town speeds the wipers don't compensate enough even with the stalk switch at its most sensitive setting, leaving me no option but to use the manual override. It seems to wait until I can't see anything before wiping the screen. When at higher speeds its works better. Is there any other war of adjusting the variation / dealer programming etc?
I'm driving the F11, no issues with my auto wipers, as efficient as previous BMW cars. I'm up in Lochaber, highland region, so auto wipers get a pretty good testing in our climate, in every kind of rain going.

I had a VW which wasn't right, for sensitivity. Turned out it was the sensor, once changed was fine.

One thing I do notice, we do need to keep the screens clean, the rain does need to bead properly for best sensitivity.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
Fokker123
Rep

Thanks highlandPete

Could be the sensor in that case as I was surprised that it was so slow to act to various intensities of rain. I'll get it checked out. Just a pain having to take a brand new car back in!

Dave
      12-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker123 View Post
Thanks highlandPete

Could be the sensor in that case as I was surprised that it was so slow to act to various intensities of rain. I'll get it checked out. Just a pain having to take a brand new car back in!

Dave
Have you had the windscreen changed at some point? If so the sensor needs 're-tuned' or 're-calibrated' at the dealer. My Mrs 1 series had this problem. Original windscreen - perfect wipers, replacement screen - auto wipers useless.
Back to dealer in any case I'd suggest.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Fokker123
Rep

[/QUOTE]Have you had the windscreen changed at some point? If so the sensor needs 're-tuned' or 're-calibrated' at the dealer. My Mrs 1 series had this problem. Original windscreen - perfect wipers, replacement screen - auto wipers useless.
Back to dealer in any case I'd suggest.[/QUOTE]

Hi, yep back to dealer. Car is new so nothing replaced. Think must just be a fault coming from factory.
Will book it in.

Cheers for comments. At least I know it's definitely not right now.
      12-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Have you had the windscreen changed at some point? If so the sensor needs 're-tuned' or 're-calibrated' at the dealer. My Mrs 1 series had this problem. Original windscreen - perfect wipers, replacement screen - auto wipers useless.
Back to dealer in any case I'd suggest.[/QUOTE]

Hi, yep back to dealer. Car is new so nothing replaced. Think must just be a fault coming from factory.
Will book it in.

Cheers for comments. At least I know it's definitely not right now.[/QUOTE]

Yes, get it checked. I took delivery of my F10 4 weeks ago and the auto wipers are fine. So should yours.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Fokker123
Rep

You might be able to help me with another gripe I have. The heater / fan direction doesn't give me the up arrow only. I can only get the up arrow and footwell together. Other cars I've had have always allowed me to select the up arrow only? Is there a setting I am missing somewhere?

I appreciate that to clear the screen I would push the demise button but my preferred setting for the heater on cars I drive is just to select the up arrow which keeps the screen clear but in this case I'm getting wind in the footwell which isn't welcomed!
I'm usually good with this stuff but I'm baffled with this one!

Dave
      12-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Isnt the windshield defroster button the same as up arrow only?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Isnt the windshield defroster button the same as up arrow only?
Yes. Press windscreen defrost then turn fan down to desired level.
Me, I just leave it in auto at all times.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Fokker123
Rep

Ah right I see. In france at the moment so can't go and fiddle with it

Thanks for that. I'll give that a go.