2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications more HP from tuning

06-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
JoshVS4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i xDrive

more HP from tuning

Has anyone installed this yet on here?
http://burgertuning.com/N20_BMW_performance_Tuner.html
I contacted their rep and he said it is compatible with the 528 F10.

What else is available that doesn't require you to send in EDU and can be removed easily if you need to bring the car to BMW for service?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
JoshVS4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Nobody? Is the N20 just too new for folks to have tuned? I am curious to who has done this to our cars and some feedback on the best tune?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
oldrandomguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Most people with 535i's buy tuning from them. Works for me and I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Tuesday
Frequent Flyer
Rep
Drives: 535LCI

I think the N20 is too new for people to comment on the tune. I have their tune on my 335i and can attest for their great build quality and superior customer support.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
JoshVS4
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm thinking it must be too new as well. However, you have items available from Berger @ under $500 then you have Hartge and Kelleners that are $1600 for the same performance figures. I am hoping there will be something that will be the best bang for the buck that will allow you to simply install and remove when needed to take back to the dealer.
What are some folks experience with piggy back units and having to take back to the dealer for maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Anything aftermarket will need to be removed before bringing it in for service. It might be ok if you are just taking it in for an oil change but if you are complaining about any motor issue they could potentially blame the tune for it and deny warranty. It all depends on your dealer. Some are more mod friendly than others.

With aftermarket piggyback tunes such as this offering from Burger Tuning expect to have some trouble shooting for early adopters. No matter what the vendor claims there will be things to iron out with tunes from these small companies. Its been going on for a long time on the E90/92 boards where there are tons of updates all the time to fix new issues that pops up. It could be from new bmw updates, weather changes or just new tune updates that doesn't jive with everyone's car but works on the car they used to tune.

If you are expecting a "set it and forget it" type mod then i would hold off for awhile so they (and customers) could iron out the kinks. For those jumping into this then i would HIGHLY suggest you pick up the Bavarian Technic OBDII scanner as well. They finally have F10 support and this will allow you to see everything is going on with the car and the ecu. It will also help with troubleshooting and resetting any lights your car might throw.

Alan
      07-12-2012, 03:54 AM   #7
ML5775
Consultant
Brunei
Rep
Drives: 2017 530i M Sport MPPSK (G30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshVS4 View Post
I'm thinking it must be too new as well. However, you have items available from Berger @ under $500 then you have Hartge and Kelleners that are $1600 for the same performance figures. I am hoping there will be something that will be the best bang for the buck that will allow you to simply install and remove when needed to take back to the dealer.
What are some folks experience with piggy back units and having to take back to the dealer for maintenance?
I am an early user of N20 Chiptuning. I enquired from Berger abt 2 months ago but they havent come up with one yet, until now that they have just released their Beta Stage 1 unit. I cant comment for Berger but previous reviews from my mates seem very promising.

I settled for Kelleners and had been using it for a little over a month now. The power hike definitely made alot of difference, especially driving around town where the initial turbo lag was annoying. It gives an almost instant response while pulling smoothly to the redline. Daily usability has immensely improved and surprisingly more economical on fuel consumption too. The only downside in my opinion, is that it doesnt feel the declared 294hp. Maybe its so smooth to feel the kick i was expecting, but ive not brought it for a dyono test. I'm not a hardcore driver, so I'm not so fussy in squeezing every pony out of the engine.

I can vouch for Kelleners, and IMO its money well spent. No regrets at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
JoshVS4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML5775 View Post
I am an early user of N20 Chiptuning. I enquired from Berger abt 2 months ago but they havent come up with one yet, until now that they have just released their Beta Stage 1 unit. I cant comment for Berger but previous reviews from my mates seem very promising.

I settled for Kelleners and had been using it for a little over a month now. The power hike definitely made alot of difference, especially driving around town where the initial turbo lag was annoying. It gives an almost instant response while pulling smoothly to the redline. Daily usability has immensely improved and surprisingly more economical on fuel consumption too. The only downside in my opinion, is that it doesnt feel the declared 294hp. Maybe its so smooth to feel the kick i was expecting, but ive not brought it for a dyono test. I'm not a hardcore driver, so I'm not so fussy in squeezing every pony out of the engine.

I can vouch for Kelleners, and IMO its money well spent. No regrets at all.
So with the Kelleners, were you able to install it? Is it plug and play? Can it be removed easily before bringing the car for service?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
ML5775
Consultant
Brunei
Rep
Drives: 2017 530i M Sport MPPSK (G30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshVS4 View Post
So with the Kelleners, were you able to install it? Is it plug and play? Can it be removed easily before bringing the car for service?
Installation takes less than 5 mins without any tools. The instruction manual has pictures to tell you where to pull and where to plug. Very straightforward plug-n-play.No cutting, soldering or touching any screws. All plugs and sockets look original. The best thing is that, I brought my car in for an ECU update at my dealer today (After removing the unit of course), and it did not even show any warnings or errors on the dealer computer. No trace at all.

The only wish is that if I can boost it higher. You know, you can never have too much power. The car is made to handle much more power, so I guess this tuning is just far below the treshold of the car's limit.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
JoshVS4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML5775 View Post
Installation takes less than 5 mins without any tools. The instruction manual has pictures to tell you where to pull and where to plug. Very straightforward plug-n-play.No cutting, soldering or touching any screws. All plugs and sockets look original. The best thing is that, I brought my car in for an ECU update at my dealer today (After removing the unit of course), and it did not even show any warnings or errors on the dealer computer. No trace at all.

The only wish is that if I can boost it higher. You know, you can never have too much power. The car is made to handle much more power, so I guess this tuning is just far below the treshold of the car's limit.
This is great feedback! I like the fact that it was literally a few minutes to install as you mentioned and comes out that easily.
Appreciate 0