2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 550i v. 550xi

02-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #23
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi Msport

Hydraulic steering was one of the big reasons why i chose xdrive over rwd.
Authentic bmw feel that i love

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarchitect View Post
The x-drive is reported to be .2 faster 0-60 due to torque delivery. Steering feel is closer to Bmw traditional feel IMO. Have not drive an F10 with IAS.
Post the link for the report, that would be contrary to all discussion. Fact is its adds a lot of weight, I have been told 200lbs but I will admit I dont know for sure.

The IAS has two benefits, the one I am referring to is how it tracks well on very high speed sloping turns, it requires much less turn of the steering wheel which at sustained speeds above 120 is very nice. I can tell you even today I still struggle with the decision to add xdrive and not to. It may not be too late but I have yet to see positive discussion outside traction in bad weather for its benefit.

I have also been told the xdrive sits higher off the ground. Look, xdrive cant be the answer to everything. It cant add weight add height add M S tires but perform better in bad weather and .2 sec faster 0-60!!! Thats a lot .2 when your talking 4.9 and lower to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW X5

When I saw the carbon black at the dealership, I was sold as well. I would also do a black interior. I wasn't sure about the hex trim, but will give it another look.

I also found this on the German web site that gives BMW's times for the i and ix.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ata/index.html

They are showing the ix with .2 better time 0-100 kph for German spec cars.

What do you make of it?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #25
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

@ bmwarchitect

Thanks for the link, its the first hard evidence of a faster time. I do wish they posted the 80-120 kmh and the 1/4 mile. This presents a quagmire for me only because I made the choice to go with a 550i based on the IAS, tires, the weight, the height ... all things that say performance. Oy ve, well guess I am back to the drawing board ... will have to dig more now.

How much is the price increase for the xdrive?
      02-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #26
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
When I saw the carbon black at the dealership, I was sold as well. I would also do a black interior. I wasn't sure about the hex trim, but will give it another look.
You really should. I was advised by some BMW M guys if I am getting the Msport to seriously consider the hexagon aluminum, when I saw it, it was a no brainer for me. It just works with the M theme and colors.
      02-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #27
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
@ bmwarchitect

Thanks for the link, its the first hard evidence of a faster time. I do wish they posted the 80-120 kmh and the 1/4 mile. This presents a quagmire for me only because I made the choice to go with a 550i based on the IAS, tires, the weight, the height ... all things that say performance. Oy ve, well guess I am back to the drawing board ... will have to dig more now.

How much is the price increase for the xdrive?
It's $2300 USD. If the ix is faster 0-60, that does not mean the overall performance is better for the ix. The weight will be a factor in handling when not straight line.

My co-workers porsche will out perform cars that may be faster 0-60 because of its handling characteristics.

The theory (and maybe reality) is that the rwd with catch up with the x drive after 60 mph. This is discussed in one of the bimmerfest forums (not the one I posted earlier). I think a search for "i vs ix 0-60" may find it. But I don't believe there is any hard test data.

If you don't need the x for winter, save the $2300 and get the Dinan 1 upgrade. What's interesting about that is that performance does not start kicking in till after 40 mph according to those few that have it. No questions after that, and you will likely have the better performer overall.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #28
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Well, the more you search the more you want to jump out of a 4th story window!

With that said ... I dont need xdrive for the winter, this is not a daily driver.

My main concern is not from the line as I dont speed around town, but on the autobahn I want the fastest acceleration I can get whether its from 60mph to 110mph or 90mph to 150mph. The IAS is 1750, so I would have to give that up and the difference would be $550 plus a set of high performance tires, your probably right, the 550i for me is faster and cheaper, plus I keep the IAS which I value at high speeds.

There are no Dinan dealers here. Hamman shop is 2 hours from me, but I am unsure about warranty issues and stresses on the engine. I think Hartage is local too but not 100% sure.
      02-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #29
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Well, the more you search the more you want to jump out of a 4th story window!

With that said ... I dont need xdrive for the winter, this is not a daily driver.

My main concern is not from the line as I dont speed around town, but on the autobahn I want the fastest acceleration I can get whether its from 60mph to 110mph or 90mph to 150mph. The IAS is 1750, so I would have to give that up and the difference would be $550 plus a set of high performance tires, your probably right, the 550i for me is faster and cheaper, plus I keep the IAS which I value at high speeds.

There are no Dinan dealers here. Hamman shop is 2 hours from me, but I am unsure about warranty issues and stresses on the engine. I think Hartage is local too but not 100% sure.
Too bad about the Dinan as they maintain a warranty agreement with BMW. Maybe Hartage or Hamman do as well. I haven't read much on them, but shouldn't be to difficult to find out. Maybe a post on the forum will yield some results.

The Dinan guys claim the car can more than handle the stress for their package. If you are talking autobahn speeds I would believe the "i" would outrun the x. I still think you are better off with the i assuming you like the steering. I expect most others would agree.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #30
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Too bad about the Dinan as they maintain a warranty agreement with BMW. Maybe Hartage or Hamman do as well. I haven't read much on them, but shouldn't be to difficult to find out. Maybe a post on the forum will yield some results.
Yea, I wish there was a Dinan / BMW set up here in Germany. I will have to keep looking.

Quote:
The Dinan guys claim the car can more than handle the stress for their package. If you are talking autobahn speeds I would believe the "i" would outrun the x. I still think you are better off with the i assuming you like the steering. I expect most others would agree.
Well the ZF tranny definately can, its paired to several 500hp cars. After looking around and talking to some folks, I do believe that my main focus of acceleration is not from a stand still but while rolling, with that said, the 550i is going to deliver that maximum benefit. The xdrive delivers that initial launch benefit. Also, the IAS and summer performance tires are very important to me as well.

I did learn through a few misconceptions though. The xdrive is quicker off the line. It also does not have a ride height difference anymore.

good discussion

Last edited by delvek; 02-27-2011 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #31
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep

I wish they would test the ix. The GT vs i was compared on another thread and many misconceptions dispelled also. From what I have been reading about the Alpina cars with higher horsepower the 0-60 times improve a bit but most of it will come at higher speed supporting getting the i. Post those pictures and impressions when you get the car. Nice talking to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #32
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
It's $2300 USD. If the ix is faster 0-60, that does not mean the overall performance is better for the ix. The weight will be a factor in handling when not straight line.

My co-workers porsche will out perform cars that may be faster 0-60 because of its handling characteristics.

The theory (and maybe reality) is that the rwd with catch up with the x drive after 60 mph. This is discussed in one of the bimmerfest forums (not the one I posted earlier). I think a search for "i vs ix 0-60" may find it. But I don't believe there is any hard test data.

If you don't need the x for winter, save the $2300 and get the Dinan 1 upgrade. What's interesting about that is that performance does not start kicking in till after 40 mph according to those few that have it. No questions after that, and you will likely have the better performer overall.
Hey there BMWarchitect

With Dinan stage 1 you will definitely notice acceleration from 0 (dig) as well. The front end of the car will give you a really good land bound impression of a speed boat. It's all boils down to the drive train settings your choose.

Normal - pretty much mimicks the stock behavior, however if you stay on it around 40 or so the acceleration will become more pronounced.

Sport - Much more aggressive acceleration off the line and through the entire powerband

Sport + - most aggressive will smoke the tires if you wish to, although you could do this stock especially with the OEM GoodYear RFT's. Ironically enough I haven't dialed in Sport + much, because sport is plenty aggressive as is. I know now with stickier tires I get basically 0 slippage. I'll give it a shot if conditions allow. Keep in mind that I have a RWD GT = more weight.

Just My two cents of course. Highyo has an F10 550 xi he might be able to chime in as he has Dinan S1 as well as swapped out rubber.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)

Last edited by car_fan; 02-28-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #33
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep

@ car-fan; thanx for the post. There are only a handful of Dinan 1 posters, and it always makes for good reading when you post your impressions. Having driven the 550i and ix, and been wowed by the acceleration, car must be unreal with the Dinan. Do you know if there is a counterpart to Dinan in Germany that maintains the BMW warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #34
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
@ car-fan; thanx for the post. There are only a handful of Dinan 1 posters, and it always makes for good reading when you post your impressions. Having driven the 550i and ix, and been wowed by the acceleration, car must be unreal with the Dinan. Do you know if there is a counterpart to Dinan in Germany that maintains the BMW warranty?

Right off I don't know of any. But I will call my Dinan rep tomorrow to see if he can yield any insight.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:35 AM   #35
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:

Hey architect, are you here in Germany? I would really be interested if there is a Dinan rep here in Germany that works in conjunction with a BMW dealer. Right now, its looking like Hamman is going to be my best bet, probably roll out there in the summer once my 1200 miles is exceeded.
      03-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #36
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hey architect, are you here in Germany? I would really be interested if there is a Dinan rep here in Germany that works in conjunction with a BMW dealer. Right now, its looking like Hamman is going to be my best bet, probably roll out there in the summer once my 1200 miles is exceeded.
No, I'm not. Since it appeared you may be interested, I thought I'd ask. I looked at Alpina and Hartge on their websites but Alpina appears to only sell complete vehicles and Hartge didn't seem to offer any warranties. Didn't check Hamman.

I was originally planning an ED for April, but looks like next year. A France visit for now.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #37
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
No Dinan counterparts in Germany. In the UK "Munich Legends" and "Birds" are authorized Dinan outlets. However, even with them the warranty is 2/24 not the BMW 4/50 powertrain match we have in the States.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #38
cidair
cidair
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d xDrive

If You are in Germany - get the Hartge ECU. 490 Hp and 720 Nm.
      03-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #39
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
No Dinan counterparts in Germany. In the UK "Munich Legends" and "Birds" are authorized Dinan outlets. However, even with them the warranty is 2/24 not the BMW 4/50 powertrain match we have in the States.
Thanx. for checking.
Appreciate 0