2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 CIC Glovebox unable to read USB after map update

06-09-2021, 06:09 PM   #1
alohia
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

F10 CIC Glovebox unable to read USB after map update

Hi All,

Hope you are well !! Looking for your help !!

F10 2012 Glovebox Port not detecting USB. Earlier it used to work and I have imported music from it which is still on drive. I updated maps to 2020-2 from this port last year and now when I am trying to import music its not working. I have tried 1/4/8/16 GB flash sticks with FAT or FAT32 format but not making any difference. Have anyone faced the same situation or any idea how to resolve it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 06:49 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohia View Post
Hi All,

F10 2012 Glovebox Port not detecting USB. Earlier it used to work and I have imported music from it which is still on drive. I updated maps to 2020-2 from this port last year and now when I am trying to import music its not working. I have tried 1/4/8/16 GB flash sticks with FAT or FAT32 format but not making any difference. Have anyone faced the same situation or any idea how to resolve it.
Have you tried the armrest USB?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 11:41 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Hi All,

F10 2012 Glovebox Port not detecting USB.
What type of music files are you trying to upload? Make sure they are compatible with your CIC iDrive

The CIC with the USB (for data and music import) in the glovebox works slightly different than the BMWs with NBT & the singular USB in the center armrest.

But you’ve gotta help us help you better…we are not there to see what your doing…so without details or steps that you’ve done…we can end up writing a bunch of suggestion that you’ve already tried.

You do know that there are instruction built into iDrive. Right? You have a digital owners manual…it even has a search box that you can type something simple like “import music” and it will take you to the instructions where you can see if you are following the correct steps.

I just did some music uploads the other day….and the process went easier with my 2014 f15 (NBT/USB in center armrest) than it did with my 2013 f06 (CIC w/data USB in glovebox) The CIC/glovebox USB port…the iDrive screen selection required a press of the OPTION button when there was nothing highlighted on the screen (which was different than with the NBT). But when I pressed the OPTION button, the selection to import from the glovebox USB illuminated.

Again, pull up the instructions in the iDrive owners manual so that you know that you’re following the correct order. If that still doesn’t work…give us the steps you’re doing so that we can determine if there’s a step that you’re missing to get where you need to be.

CIC has USB port in the glovebox for data & music file uploads to the car’s hard drive…the port in the center armrest is for playing music from your phone, USB thumb drive, or iPod/iPad or other device that has the proper music files on them:

EDIT from the owners manual:

To import music files to the CIC hardrive from a USB thumb drive, insert thumb drive into glovebox USB port…hit MEDIA button —>SELECT MUSIC COLLECTION —>PRESS OPTION BUTTON —> SELECT IMPORT:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-10-2021 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
alohia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

Have you tried the armrest USB?
Armrest USB port is for playing music from ipod/iphone in CICA Models. But to import music you must use glovebox port.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:27 PM   #5
alohia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

What type of music files are you trying to upload? Make sure they are compatible with your CIC iDrive

The CIC with the USB (for data and music import) in the glovebox works slightly different than the BMWs with NBT & the singular USB in the center armrest.

But you’ve gotta help us help you better…we are not there to see what your doing…so without details or steps that you’ve done…we can end up writing a bunch of suggestion that you’ve already tried.

You do know that there are instruction built into iDrive. Right? You have a digital owners manual…it even has a search box that you can type something simple like “import music” and it will take you to the instructions where you can see if you are following the correct steps.

I just did some music uploads the other day….and the process went easier with my 2014 f15 (NBT/USB in center armrest) than it did with my 2013 f06 (CIC w/data USB in glovebox) The CIC/glovebox USB port…the iDrive screen selection required a press of the OPTION button when there was nothing highlighted on the screen (which was different than with the NBT). But when I pressed the OPTION button, the selection to import from the glovebox USB illuminated.

Again, pull up the instructions in the iDrive owners manual so that you know that you’re following the correct order. If that still doesn’t work…give us the steps you’re doing so that we can determine if there’s a step that you’re missing to get where you need to be.

CIC has USB port in the glovebox for data & music file uploads to the car’s hard drive…the port in the center armrest is for playing music from your phone, USB thumb drive, or iPod/iPad or other device that has the proper music files on them:

To import music files to the CIC hardrive from a USB thumb drive, insert thumb drive into glovebox USB port…hit MEDIA button —>SELECT MUSIC COLLECTION —>PRESS OPTION BUTTON —> SELECT IMPORT:
Actually I am trying to upload mp3 files from this port. Infact I did it earlier as well and it was working fine at that time. My HDD still have some collection.

I formatted 1/4 GB USB in FAT/ FAT32 and put mp3 files inside it.
Then I connected to glovebox usb port.
Tried to import data but it prompts to insert USB.

But the port is definitely working as today I connected my phone to it and its charging so that means port is functioning properly.

Same pen drive is not detected in console port as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #6
alohia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

But you've gotta help us help you better…we are not there to see what your doing…so without details or steps that you've done…we can end up writing a bunch of suggestion that you've already tried.

You do know that there are instruction built into iDrive. Right? You have a digital owners manual…it even has a search box that you can type something simple like "import music" and it will take you to the instructions where you can see if you are following the correct steps.

Again, pull up the instructions in the iDrive owners manual so that you know that you're following the correct order. If that still doesn't work…give us the steps you're doing so that we can determine if there's a step that you're missing to get where you need to be.

CIC has USB port in the glovebox for data & music file uploads to the car's hard drive…the port in the center armrest is for playing music from your phone, USB thumb drive, or iPod/iPad or other device that has the proper music files on them:

Actually I am trying to upload mp3 files from this port. Infact I did it earlier as well and it was working fine at that time. My HDD still have some collection.

I formatted 1/4 GB USB in FAT/ FAT32 and put mp3 files inside it.
Then I connected to glovebox usb port.
Tried to import data but it prompts to insert USB.

But the port is definitely working as today I connected my phone to it and its charging so that means port is functioning properly.

Same pen drive is not detected in console port as well.
Thanks all for your help.

Finally I figured it out and able to resolve it.

My pendrive had GPT partition which now a days most of the USB by default have.

However as the car is old it detects MBR partitioned usb only.

So conclusion is - USB should have MBR partition.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Thanks for the update…glad you figured out the problem.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 01:43 AM   #8
martynz
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i (E93), X3 3.0si (E83)

Quote:
Thanks all for your help.

Finally I figured it out and able to resolve it.

My pendrive had GPT partition which now a days most of the USB by default have.

However as the car is old it detects MBR partitioned usb only.

So conclusion is - USB should have MBR partition.
This is unbelievable! Thank you so much for posting the fix for this. THIS SHOULD BE PINNED!

I spent half a day trying and researching this. Now the MP3 transfer works. Need to test to update my map too.

How can BMW develop a port that only accepts MBR partitions.

Nice and short video on how to change partitions.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 06:35 PM   #9
John Puth
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

I just bought an F10 520D 2011. I would like to know if it is at all possible to update my iDrive software and maps in 2014. I tried several ways, there is no indication that the glove box USB port is detected, it charges my phone though. Entering the VIN in the BMW update site does not produce any result. Bought a code and maps from ebay, but unable to do anything with it.

The digital owner's manual does not say anything about the glove box port. Music does play from the armrest port with no problem. Please let me know if anything is possible. Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 08:03 PM   #10
e4603
Private
Rep
Drives: F10

Is the USB formatted with MBR and FAT32?
Appreciate 0