2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Professional navigation maps update

12-31-2015, 02:08 PM   #45
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 30e

Regarding the USB Map Update then the ConnectedDrive team responded late today advising that the USB Map Update option is a new option that will be available in the Connected Drive store around mid January. Their comment "It will feature full pricing details" suggests it isn't going to be free. You are right that it is strange that the general Customer Service team do not acknowledge this whilst the ConnectedDrive team have confirmed its presence (or at least impending presence).

I'm not sure why you would have it now; perhaps it is something your dealer did like you suggested previously or perhaps some vehicles have it already as the service is being migrated to a fully live service.

I'm going to wait for the dealership to reply now and then will launch another round with the Customer Services team and will at that point share your screenshot; I will probably do the same with the ConnectedDrive team as well. I'm hoping the dealership might do something as a good will gesture and provide the enabling code that permits updates.

If all else fails then I shall code it myself; I've spent plenty of time researching it now and just need the ENET cable to be delivered.

Thanks for your contribution to this so far, it is appreciated, and very best wishes for the New Year

Andy
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 04:36 AM   #46
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Andy,

Happy New Year to you.

It is interesting that you cannot "see" the USB Map Update Service unless you are actually logged to your account. I can find no mention of it on the open BMW Connected Drive site.

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk..._FullMapUpdate

All very strange, it does not seem to be a service they want to talk about!

The link shows this for me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:03 AM   #47
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

Wow! This now works for me - well at least I can now see the map update option but it does quote £69 for a 2 year subscription (which isn't that bad even if I do expect it to be FOC!).

If I log in to Connected Drive the map update option isn't in the store, if I click the link and then log in to ConenctedDrive it isn't there, if I am already logged in to ConnectedDrive and then click the link it appears! It seems to be hidden for some reason.

I note that the update subscription via the store is 2 years and that is the subscription period given with the update subscription enabling code as stated states in the description in the BMW ASAP Portal.

At least I can see the option now.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:56 AM   #48
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

Well that is weird!!

Maybe it will be sorted when the Map Update link works again?

They seem to have screwed this up quite badly.

Funny I have a 3 year subscription though?

Just spoken to a friend who took delivery a week after me and he has the Map Update Service, he also has Remote and Concierge which I do not!!

Last edited by kinhwear; 01-02-2016 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #49
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrp View Post
Wow! This now works for me - well at least I can now see the map update option but it does quote £69 for a 2 year subscription (which isn't that bad even if I do expect it to be FOC!)

Andy
Me too. Following the above gives me the option. As I wasn't expecting FOC, I'm very happy with GBP 70.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #50
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinhwear View Post
Well that is weird!!

Just spoken to a friend who took delivery a week after me and he has the Map Update Service, he also has Remote and Concierge which I do not!!
I have Remote and Concierge! The availability of the services seems incredibly inconsistent. I can't imagine they come out of the factory like that so suspect it is the dealers when they are enabling various options and doing the final vehicle prep.

At the risk of jumping to a conclusion maybe there is an underlying issue with the dealers being inconsistent and that is why Customer Services are so defensive as they don't want to admit the problem exists.

I'm going to push Customer Services and the dealership to give me the updates as a goodwill gesture; I appreciate I could just pay the £69 but it is still is a matter of principle and at £69 they might be pleased to be rid of me.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #51
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Me too. Following the above gives me the option. As I wasn't expecting FOC, I'm very happy with GBP 70.
If you keep your 550i on the drive for one day you could use the money saved in fuel to pay for the map updates!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 02:42 AM   #52
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

Andy,

I agree you should push it, if Ocean BMW can manage to supply 2 cars both with 3 years map updates then so can other dealers.

I am not too concerned about Concierge but would like Remote services.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:22 AM   #53
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrp View Post
If you keep your 550i on the drive for one day you could use the money saved in fuel to pay for the map updates!
It's not as bad as most people think. Anyway, what else can you do with petrol other than burn it?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 04:00 AM   #54
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

Quote:
Andy,

I agree you should push it, if Ocean BMW can manage to supply 2 cars both with 3 years map updates then so can other dealers.

I am not too concerned about Concierge but would like Remote services.
OK, I have solved my missing services, I was not entitled to them!!

I have a 530d Luxury which has Professional as standard, but does NOT include Remote and Concierge.

If you add Professional as an option then you get ALL the services.

What was interesting was that Ocean BMW were able to request a reset of my Connected Services which they did before I worked out the reason.

Maybe worth asking your dealer to reset yours?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #55
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
OK, I have solved my missing services, I was not entitled to them!!

I have a 530d Luxury which has Professional as standard, but does NOT include Remote and Concierge.

If you add Professional as an option then you get ALL the services.

What was interesting was that Ocean BMW were able to request a reset of my Connected Services which they did before I worked out the reason.

Maybe worth asking your dealer to reset yours?
Ah yes; actually I realised that quirk when I specified my car. I had looked at specifying the Luxury line and did notice that the Remote services were still available as an option rather than being shown as "Included In Package". Yet when I looked at the SE and added the Professional Navigation they were shown as being included - for what that's worth anyway given recent experience!

You can refresh your services from within the car; I had a trial of Online Music and when it ended the menu option was still there which was frustrating - once I updated the services then the menu option was removed. In my last old 5 series you could actually see via the I-drive a list of the services you had but that doesn't appear to be available now.

I'm still awaiting a response from the dealer that supplied the car and will push for the USB Map Update service as a good will gesture. At £69 retail then cost to the dealer is going to be minimal.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 08:58 AM   #56
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

You can see the services in the car, Menu -> Connected Services -> Store

Or something like that!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #57
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You can see the services in the car, Menu -> Connected Services -> Store

Or something like that!!
In my last 5 series there was another way of seeing the services and it showed a much longer list. I can't remember all of the entries but it had items like Remote Light Flash and Floating Car Data.

I got a response from BMW Customer Services today after asking that my issue was escalated; as a result of my complaint they have put £150 on file for me to spend at any BMW dealership. I'm happy with that as it would cover 2 consecutive subscriptions to the USB Map Update service which would effectively give 4 years of updates. Although I'll probably just but a load of car cleaning stuff with it.

I also found pricing today for the original enabling code that the dealership apply when activating the Sat Nav and the 2 subscription code, £0.56 (yes 56p!) and £86.78

I can get back to enjoying my car now (not that I really stopped enjoying it anyway).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #58
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

I've now installed the 2016-1 maps. I generated the map activation code after extracting the relevant file from the car using E-SYS and a bit of jiggery pokery.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #59
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

Well done.

I see the Map update site is still down!!
Appreciate 0