2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2011 535i Steering Fixed Finally! WOOT!

06-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
purplecow
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

2011 535i Steering Fixed Finally! WOOT!

I've had a steering problem with my 2011 535i ever since buying it.

1. The car pulled right even though the wheels were properly aligned.
2. When cruising at high speed, the assist at center made me constantly hunt and make adjustment to my steering input.
3. Taking curves or making lane changes at high speeds felt extremely unsafe.

i took my car into the dealership to see if they could do anything to fix it. Well the standard answer was that the car was driving normal.

Last year, I had to replace my tires. I took off the crappy Dunlop Run Flats and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Supersports. I now have a electric air pump which I carry around just in case my tire pressure runs low. This resolved the tire pull issue and was no longer pulling to the right.

The car still felt unstable at high speeds and the steering felt vague.

I had another problem with my transmission. I was in the slow lane of the highway and wanted to switch lanes to go faster. I had enough room to move in and pressed my gas pedal and to my surprise, it took longer than it should have. During my routine service appointment, I mentioned this issue to my service advisor. They drove the car and couldn't find this issue either.

During my last service appointment, I mentioned that there was a TSB to resolve my acceleration hesitation issue. They found one and reprogrammed the DME.

The reprogram fixed my steering issue as well. The car drives straight and the center feel is more direct. I can't believe how different the car feels with different software. This is how the car should have felt from day 1.

I hope that this has been informative to the board members.

Last edited by purplecow; 06-09-2015 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

[QUOTE=purplecow;18051118]

During my last service appointment, I mentioned that there was a TSB to resolve my acceleration hesitation issue. They found one and reprogrammed the DME.

[QUOTE]

Can you piont out what is the TSB number for the accelation hesitation?
Thanks

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

That's Awesome to hear that it fixed the problem!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
purplecow
Rep

[QUOTE=TZ;18051929][QUOTE=purplecow;18051118]

Quote:

Can you piont out what is the TSB number for the accelation hesitation?
Thanks
I mentioned sib 12 9 11. More importantly, I mentioned that when cruising at 15mph, if I were to push down on the throttle, my car will lag downshifting and accelerating. It creates an unsafe condition.

My SA told me that this particular SIB didn't apply to my car but found another one and therefore my car needed to get its DME flashed.

I threw my receipt away since BMW keeps records so I currently don't have the correct SIB info with me. I sent off an email to my SA for a copy of my receipt. I'll post the info as soon as I receive it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
purplecow
Rep

Attached is the image from my receipt. I hope this helps.

Name:  fix.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  52.4 KB
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Nice thanks. I have that same hesitation sometimes but not consistent. I always use sport in those situations to get better throttle response and gear kick down.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
purplecow
Rep

From my experience, dealer will not reflash your car just because you say the steering doesn't feel right. This is subjective.

However, if you can say that there is a throttle lag, the lag can be quantified in seconds. I used this as an excuse to get my car reflashed.

Also, I don't think that BMW will come out and tell their dealer to reflash the cars for a steering feel correction. This will cost BMW tons of money. It take all day to reflash a car. The cost of labor plus the loaner make it uneconomical to admit fault. It makes more financial sense to deny the issue and fix the car on a case by case basis.

I hope that my post helps those who were in the same situation as I was.
Appreciate 0