2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Has anyone used RaceChip tuning?

09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Also, I am happy to dyno my car if anyone in the Toronto area knows a reputable place

MBA
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

^^^ Any pictures? Also any plans to dyno test it?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Try:

Tag Motorsport
2241 Royal Windsor Drive
Oakville, ON L6J7X8
905-845-0888

Champion Motors Inc.
1861 O'Connor Drive
North York, ON
416-751-8047
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #26
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep

Champion Motors is very close to me. It says they have a Dynojet model 224x. I have absolutely no idea if this is similar to the mustang dyno? Can anyone please chime in.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #27
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep

I do have a picture of the box, this is probably useless though.. I did not take any pictures of the harness/module or the installation since I don't have anyone to help me out and I can not do both at the same time. Sorry..

MBA
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #28
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post
OK guys as promised I just received the package and did the install, Here are my initial impressions:
The package was nicely done but the instructions were lacking. I did receive an email with pictures before the package arrived detailing the spot of the MAP sensor.
As I opened the package I noticed there were two sensor attachment spots on the harness although there is no mention where the second attachment would go. I went ahead and started fiddling around as is my usual. It helped alot having the BMS stage 1 already installed since I thought to myself it has to be one of the other 3 spots, clearly it was not the solenoid attachment so I had only 2 other spots to check. It turned out to be the MAF sensor which is logical. In all honestly I did not contact them about this so I can not blame them other than not including this information in the package.

Once I realized what to do, the installation is literally 10 mins including removing BMS stage 1 that was already installed.

On to my observations:
1. The idling of the car on first ignition no longer goes above 1K as it used to with the BMS when you first start from cold
2. The throttle response is AMAZING! This is one thing I had issues with going with the BMS as there was no lack of power once you hit the pedal but when going off from 0 there is always that little bit of hesitation and this is GONE now
3. The power appears to have also increased along with the responsiveness and this is most notable when going in Normal mode. I almost never stay in normal but now I can almost say that normal mode maybe my default.
4. Torque is definitely up, I can tell since now I see the DCT flashing more often than I used to in the past. I haven't pushed the pedal to the metal yet.
5. Overall I am thrilled with this. I was very skeptical seeing how there are only 2 sensors on the harness and I am pleased to say that it is for sure non inferior to the stage 1 but I haven't had time to toy with it yet to say for sure if it is superior. One thing I can say for sure is responsiveness is DEFINITELY superior and is to say the least STRIKING.

I will write a bit more once I have time to test the limits of this tune later in the week and towards the weekend!

MBA
sounds cool. hopefully not placebo talking. i mean that in a nice way.

i'm also interested in the long term use.

Quote:
Champion Motors is very close to me. It says they have a Dynojet model 224x. I have absolutely no idea if this is similar to the mustang dyno? Can anyone please chime in.

MBA
dynojet numbers will be respected (by me anyway).

from what i've read mustang is just harder to get good numbers on so people go home sad. haha

i personally would love to see you post some numbers from that dynojet.
      09-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #29
Klecha man
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535

Quote:
I do have a picture of the box, this is probably useless though.. I did not take any pictures of the harness/module or the installation since I don't have anyone to help me out and I can not do both at the same time. Sorry..

MBA
I wish you had JB4 Stage 2 as a comparison... In any case, what octane level are you running? 91 or 93. they did say they recommend using 93. They did also mention there are a few options that can be changed within the module so i'm not sure if that will help further tune it to fit your car. I would definitely like to hear more from you as you drive the car before I possibly work a group discount and hopefully you can also take advantage of it as well. Thx again for the feedback and keep it coming.
Tony
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #30
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klecha man View Post
I wish you had JB4 Stage 2 as a comparison... In any case, what octane level are you running? 91 or 93. they did say they recommend using 93. They did also mention there are a few options that can be changed within the module so i'm not sure if that will help further tune it to fit your car. I would definitely like to hear more from you as you drive the car before I possibly work a group discount and hopefully you can also take advantage of it as well. Thx again for the feedback and keep it coming.
Tony
Hello Tony,
I use a combination of 91 and 94 (which is what we have here in Ontario) but most of the times I fill 91. I could certainly fill 94 next time and see how it goes. I used out of the box settings right now to see how it is. I might change it tomorrow and see how if any different when I up it a notch. I would like to know the setting they have out of the box and how close it is to maximum, I believe the video says 7 is max. I will continue to update you guys. I will call the dyno guys tomorrow and see if they can get my car dyno'd soon.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #31
gre8tw8LL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535i

I'm very curious myself after reading this thread. I was planning on pulling the trigger on a JB4 stage 2 but still keeping my options open. This racechip can also be purchased on Amazon website as I was trying to find more reviews about it. Installation seems pretty easy after watching the youtube clip of it being installed on an X5.
2012 535i Alpine White | Oyster Black Dakota Interior | Hamann Front Lip | LiteSpeed Catback Exhaust | M5 Diffuser| Painted Calipers & Reflectors | Black Gloss Grill | LED interior lights | Piaa Plasma Yellow Foglights | Born on 1/30/12
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #32
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

A proper way for this would be. Run the JB4 at the race track or a dyno... revome JB4 attach the race chip and go drive around very hard for about 20 mins. Come back and strap the car to the dyno and do some pulls or run at the track.
Then compare the Data.
      09-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #33
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi
A proper way for this would be. Run the JB4 at the race track or a dyno... revome JB4 attach the race chip and go drive around very hard for about 20 mins. Come back and strap the car to the dyno and do some pulls or run at the track.
Then compare the Data.
I would agree. But he only had JB4 S1 not S2. I have the S2 on my car now and It feels quicker in comfort mode vs sport/sport +!

If anyone in SoCal buys this, I will loan out the JB4 for comparison.
      09-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #34
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep

Hello everyone,
So I have had a little more time to toy with this. I filled up 94 today to see if this makes any difference. I honestly have to say that I can not see any perceivable difference.

I changed the setting of the tune today. It was set to 1 out of maximum of 7 coming out of the box, so I tried increasing this a couple of notches to 3 initially. There is a slight but notable increase in performance. I went ahead after a few pulls and increased it to max i.e. 7.

Here are my findings so far.
I stick to my note of responsiveness. This is Eions away from the stage 1 and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the throttle response is absolutely incredible. There is 0 lag now which I am very happy with.

The power delivery is very civil, it is very linear and predictable. As opposed to the BMS stage 1 where power delivery is somewhat logarithemic starting with a bit of lag and then exploding. I have to say that I am not entirely sure this tune is producing more power than stage 1 but it feels faster to the butt dyno if you wish.

Overall I am pleased with it so far and will be trying to get the dyno results for both tunes for you guys to see (as well to prove to myself I didnt make a mistake + I want to see the claims of 90+ HP increase substantiated)

Will update you guys when the dyno is done.

MBA
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #35
Klecha man
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hello everyone,
So I have had a little more time to toy with this. I filled up 94 today to see if this makes any difference. I honestly have to say that I can not see any perceivable difference.

I changed the setting of the tune today. It was set to 1 out of maximum of 7 coming out of the box, so I tried increasing this a couple of notches to 3 initially. There is a slight but notable increase in performance. I went ahead after a few pulls and increased it to max i.e. 7.

I stick to my note of responsiveness. This is Eions away from the stage 1 and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the throttle response is absolutely incredible. There is 0 lag now which I am very happy with.

The power delivery is very civil, it is very linear and predictable. As opposed to the BMS stage 1 where power delivery is somewhat logarithemic starting with a bit of lag and then exploding. I have to say that I am not entirely sure this tune is producing more power than stage 1 but it feels faster to the butt dyno if you wish.

Overall I am pleased with it so far and will be trying to get the dyno results for both tunes for you guys to see (as well to prove to myself I didnt make a mistake + I want to see the claims of 90+ HP increase substantiated)

MBA
wow, this is good feedback. I'm now suspicious of your findings, are they paying you for this...lol, totally kidding.

You got me excited. I will contact Paul again and see if he can work a deal out for a group buy and hopefully you'll be one of them (knowing you already bought one). I'm know a $100 will not make a diff for the majority of people that will buy this.

Bottom line for me is I want to feel the difference in power rather than what the dyno states. What's the point of a dyno test if you actually can't feel the before and after performance gains.

Thx again MBA for your feedback. Let me know if they also provided you with details on the settings switch (i.e. what does 4 do vs. 1...).
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #36
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep

Hello Tony,
They don't specifically tell you what the switches do exactly. In broad terms they say that changing this around would decrease fuel efficiency and increase horsepower. Their recommendation for settings is best fuel to power ratio which is what out of the box setting will be i.e. #1. I have to say that going from 3 to 7 did not feel a whole lot different. Unfortunately I haven't tested this well since I only did this last night and today its been all rain. I could ask what it does exactly but I am guessing they will swarm around and not give me exact details. You might be at a better vantage point with "Paul" and you could ask him this question since he will be pressured to give more direct answers when you haven't bought the product yet. I also bought this directly from Germany before knowing they had a distributor in the states. A language barrier exists to some extent. Hope this helps. If anyone is on the fence on this one, please wait until I have dyno'd the car so that there is more than just my words to back this up.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #37
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
dyno yet?
      09-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #38
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep

Not yet. Been busy with work and have not heard back from the guys yet about when I could do this. I should give them another call.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #39
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2

Thanks for organizing this group buy. So this is a plug and play tune like the BMS stage 1, but with power feeling almost like the invasive BMS JB4. Does this tune require any wire tapping?

Count me in!
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #40
gre8tw8LL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
Thanks for organizing this group buy. So this is a plug and play tune like the BMS stage 1, but with power feeling almost like the invasive BMS JB4. Does this tune require any wire tapping?

Count me in!
Group buy can be found on this post.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887179
2012 535i Alpine White | Oyster Black Dakota Interior | Hamann Front Lip | LiteSpeed Catback Exhaust | M5 Diffuser| Painted Calipers & Reflectors | Black Gloss Grill | LED interior lights | Piaa Plasma Yellow Foglights | Born on 1/30/12
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #41
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Hello everyone,

MBA
Where did you see this claim of 90+ HP gain? The gains for our F10 N55 is more in the range of 30 to 50+HP
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #42
Klecha man
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post

Count me in!
No tapping into any wire. It's plugs into two sensors. IMO, it's much more organized the the JB4 tune, no wires all over the place. See my other thread if you are interested in the group buy and drop me a note there so I can better track it.
thx,
Tony
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #43
Klecha man
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
Where did you see this claim of 90+ HP gain? The gains for our F10 N55 is more in the range of 30 to 50+HP
See their website.... Their entry level tune has around 30+ hp gains, the pro2 & Ultimate is around 80+...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #44
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klecha man View Post
See their website.... Their entry level tune has around 30+ hp gains, the pro2 & Ultimate is around 80+...
On the Burgertuning website? If so, unfortunately the numbers for the E9x and F30s are not relevant for the F10. The gains out of the 5 series are always signifigantly lower than the 3 series, this held true for the E60s and now does for the F10s. Gains from the tune on the F10s ranges from 30-50, add DP, exhaust and filter and you may get to 70-90hp total gains.. But just a tune, you are not getting near 80+. Sad realization coming from 3 N54 powered cars.
Appreciate 0