2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum REAL answer to ZDH (Dynamic Handling Package) vs 2TB (Sport Automatic)

08-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #67
freebird_76
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 5.20d 184HP Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

2TB is one of the best value options in the UK, as you get the 'sport' autobox software, paddles and DCC all for £110 (sterling)

The configurations with 2TB, do make it possible to have a much tighter feeling car when you toggle to sport setting. The steering feel is so much better (IMO) and makes the car a much tighter car on the road.

HighlandPete
Dear HighlandPete,
I am grateful to have you in the forums, you are very helpful.
I have a 520d with 2TB. When I ordered I was almost sure that it never affects the suspensions. And for the first week I kept my belief and did not mess with it.

Yesterday, I was on a high bridge with minor regular bumps on the road due to connection of the concrete.

When I switched from Normal to Sport mode I definitely felt the difference. It was a straight road so It was not the tightened steering.

I never tested adaptive drive or Dynamic Damper versions. The difference among their modes might be relatively easy to realize. However I can feel the difference between the two modes on my 2TB option.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #68
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

So well said, peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
The manual says that the switch options are:

SPORT+
SPORT
NORMAL
COMFORT*
For Dynamic Damper Control*, the lower button
is labeled with COMFORT.

As you can see, COMFORT is the only difference when you have Dynamic Damper Control. Otherwise it would say For Dynamic Drive Control*, the lower button is labeled with COMFORT.

Also, see here the definition of Dynamic Drive:

"Dynamic Drive.
Supreme agility, unwavering stability and unmatched comfort on bends: the active chassis control system Dynamic Drive minimises body roll and distributes it between both axles, ensuring a comfortable ride for all occupants.

Dynamic Drive uses active stabilisers on the front and rear axles to counteract the vehicle's tendency to roll in a corner. Working together with acceleration and position sensors, a management system and other components, such as a compensation tank for sound control, the system ensures supreme agility at all speeds, balanced reactions to load changes and remarkably precise steering.
The stabilisers continually adapt to suit the driving situation and the changes to the vehicle's self-steering behaviour. For example, when driving on the straight, Dynamic Drive reduces the pressure of the stabilisers, treating them individually, so allowing for a highly comfortable ride - a particular benefit for rear-seat passengers.
When cornering or making sudden changes of direction, a "sportier" setting will see the stabilisers increase the rigidity of the suspension relevant to the intensity of the lateral forces to prevent body roll. Roll distribution between the front and back axles also helps in difficult situations.
Dynamic Drive ensures that the vehicle literally hugs the road, under- or oversteering is reduced - resulting in enhanced safety, greater comfort and an impressively dynamic driving experience."

As you can see, dynamic drive does not mention dampers at all, because the adaptive dampers are part of the Dynamic Damper Control, not Dynamic Drive.

Think of it this way: Dynamic Drive will afect the ROLLING efect (lateral inclination), while Dynamic Dampers (part of the ZDH) will aftect the bobbing effect (up and down); finally, Adaptive Drive is the puppetmaster pulling the strings of Dynamic Drive and Dynamic Dampers to adjust the ride to changing road conditions automatically.

Bottom line: 2TB in SPORT mode will pull the reins on the active stabilizers for a firmer resistance to roll in a fixed setting. ZDH in SPORT mode will summon the active stabilizers to a firmer status AND stiffen the damperswhen ordered by Adaptive Drive to do so in response to the changes in the terrain.

If it is still not clear, think of 2TB as a FIRM/SOFT switch on the stabilizers. ZDH is a FIRMER/SOFTER switch on the stabilizers AND the dampers with an electronic brain behind it to do it on-the-fly and depending on the road conditions. That's why one is $500 and the other is $2,700
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #69
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

When you order 2TB, the steering is stiffer than without 2TB even in NORMAL (default) mode?

Suggesting that different steering wheels can somehow produce different level of stiffness? People have been retrofitting original BMW wheels from one to another and it never produced different level of stiffness.

Which means that it can only be a software adjustment, but I think it's a placebo or myth, since BMW has never mentioned this anywhere. I'd like to order 2TB but I don't like the idea of default steering being stiffer.

Last edited by kinimod; 07-07-2013 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #70
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post
When you order 2TB, the steering is stiffer than without 2TB even in NORMAL (default) mode?

Suggesting that different steering wheels can somehow produce different level of stiffness? People have been retrofitting original BMW wheels from one to another and it never produced different level of stiffness.

Which means that it can only be a software adjustment, but I think it's a placebo or myth, since BMW has never mentioned this anywhere. I'd like to order 2TB but I don't like the idea of default steering being stiffer.
You revived a 2 year old post. I'm wondering if the terminology that BMW uses has changed?

The 2014 model 5 Series is coming out and the 528 doesn't have DHP as an option or even Dynamic Dampers only.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #71
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post

No, I belive the steering is only stiffer in sport mode.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0