2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 2011 550i 70k miles (will be 3 owner) warranty

04-16-2021, 02:36 AM   #1
chicks406
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 F25

2011 550i 70k miles (will be 3 owner) warranty

BLUF: Worth purchasing with warranty?

Thank you for the add. I am currently looking at buying a 2011 550i. Thanks to this site and other forums I quickly discovered the problems with these motors. I can purchase a warranty through Shift (online dealer I’m purchasing it through) or my credit union. They both appear to cover bumper to bumper I will attach both below. I contacted the dealer who worked on the vehicle in the past and they confirmed the CCP was completed. With a good warranty, the CCP complete, and relatively low miles should I still be hesitant to purchase this vehicle? It’s listed at 16k.

From what I’ve read it seems like a really fun great car. I understand this is partially subjective, however, am looking for the experience opinions of those in the forum. Thank you in advance.

Name:  D7205715-4766-485E-9DBB-42F189D01D37.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  166.9 KB

Route 66 warranty (credit union)-

Name:  85313971-E4B7-4925-8997-4442685265BD.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  107.5 KB
Ally warranty (Shift)-
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 08:28 AM   #2
Wht550jersey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

I love my 550i but if you don't know how to work on a car stay away . The work I've done to my car at a shop would of been double the price of my car
Appreciate 1
550bye1389.50
      04-16-2021, 09:00 AM   #3
chicks406
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wht550jersey View Post
I love my 550i but if you don't know how to work on a car stay away . The work I've done to my car at a shop would of been double the price of my car
Thank you for the reply. Are you talking only maintenance? I believe the warranty will cover any mechanical problems, but I know the maintenance will be expensive especially with having to do it more often for these vehicles.
Appreciate 1
550bye1389.50
      04-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #4
Wht550jersey
Private First Class
Rep

Does ur warranty cover fuel and electric? Injectors go in these cars and hpfp
Appreciate 1
550bye1389.50
      04-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #5
chicks406
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wht550jersey View Post
Does ur warranty cover fuel and electric? Injectors go in these cars and hpfp
Under the Shift warranty, this is everything covered under electrical and engine.

• Alternator
• Voltage regulator
• Starter motor and
drive
• Starter solenoid
• Wiring harnesses
• Manually operated
switches (specifically
turn signal
• Headlight
• Mechanically actuated
switches (ignition
• Electronic fuel
injection system
(including all input/
sensors & output/
control units except
EGR valve, related
to the fuel injection
system)
• Electronic ignition
module
• Distributor and coil
• Engine management
control unit
• Knock sensor and
oxygen sensor

Electrical

Gasoline Engine
• Cylinder block and all
internal lubricated parts
• Crankshaft
• Rod and main bearings
• Cam bearings
• Expansion (freeze) plugs
• Connecting rods
• Wrist pins
• Pistons
• Piston rings
• Camshaft
• Cam tower
• Lifters
• Cylinder head
• Valves and guides
• Valve springs
• Rocker arms (cam
followers)
• Pushrods
• Timing chain housing
(cover)
• Timing chain and
sprockets
• Timing belt and pulleys
• Timing belt tensioner
• Intake and exhaust
manifolds
• Flywheel
• Balance shafts
• Harmonic balancer and
retainer bolt

• Crankshaft pulley
• Valve covers
• Oil pan
• Oil pump and pressure
relief valve
• Engine oil cooler hoses
• Oil filter adapter/housing
• Engine oil sending unit
• Engine mounts
• Water pump
• Temperature sending unit
• Thermostat and housing
• Fuel supply pump
• Vacuum pump
• Dipstick and tube
• Fasteners for the
components listed above.
Turbocharged/
Supercharged/Rotary/
Diesel/Enhanced
Engines
• All of the above listed
parts or equivalent plus
• Turbocharger
• Waste gate controller
• Intercooler
• Hard lines
• Compressor
• Clutch and pulley
• Bypass valve
• Injection pump
• Lines and nozzles

The route 66 warranty also seems to cover most fuel delivery and electrical.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 02:43 PM   #6
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M Sport 6M

Warranty if you can afford it. My 2011 550i I got with 81.000 miles. Had 2 owner history, I was 3rd and I drove it for 1000 miles and it blew lol.
Appreciate 1
550bye1389.50
      04-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #7
chicks406
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdisFingF10 View Post
Warranty if you can afford it. My 2011 550i I got with 81.000 miles. Had 2 owner history, I was 3rd and I drove it for 1000 miles and it blew lol.
Sorry! I will definitely purchase with a warranty. However, I’m still debating whether it’s worth it. Sounds like a nice fun car but if they ALL have this problem I don’t know. I’m holding onto the hope we just hear about the worst case like yours. Did you have a warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 04:59 PM   #8
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Get the warranty, 100%. It sucks they won't let you buy the replacement parts and then do the work yourself (I tried) and you will have to take it to a licensed shop. But find a good Indy and don't take it to BMW to do the work, the numbers will eat up your warranty price limits just on labor.

You need to check the total amount of coverage that the warranty covers on the main items and then google how much those parts cost and see if it's good enough to cover you when something breaks.

I have a warranty, for 1 example they only covered $1500 on my turbos, my rebuild and upgrade was more so I covered a little of it plus the labor.

Get the vin and call the BMW dealership nearest you, see if the CCP has been done, if not take it in and get it done ASAP!!

After you get the coverage totals make sure the warranty will cover atleast the following;
•(4) index 12 injectors (if one goes you have to replace the entire bank of 4, $900-1200 for all 8 labor not included)
•Fuel pumps (high pressure and low pressure)
•Aux water pump
•Radiator (you have 4 and they great pricey)
•Trans
•Engine ($3500 for just the replacement)

I have experienced all of these things except trans and engine (knock on wood) so these are just some of the things you will need to have covered that are expensive, I'm sure some of the others can add to the list.

You will need to stay up on your maintenance so plan on replacing the spark plugs and coils, oil+filter is over $120 and do it yourself and if not replaced already you will need new Crankcase Ventilation hoses. It's a fun car but expensive car too just to keep running.

If you think you can afford a lot of out of pocket costs then get it but if not then best to stick with the 535, still has its issues but I believe they are cheaper to fix. If taken care of then you have a better chance of not dealing with major repairs, but… then again some of us maintain the hell out of our cars and still end up dealing with it. My cars first owner was an older guy that only drove in Sport like 3% of the time based on the data I pulled and I still have receipts from Mercedes and BMW that total over $22k, out of my pocket around $5k but that included upgrades too.
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 08:27 PM   #9
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Get a warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 06:50 AM   #10
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M Sport 6M

My engine was on a huge waitlist so I became impatient and bought a 2011 535i and parted out my 550i. I want another 550i but I will try a 2014+ the next time
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #11
chicks406
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550bye View Post
Get the warranty, 100%. It sucks they won't let you buy the replacement parts and then do the work yourself (I tried) and you will have to take it to a licensed shop. But find a good Indy and don't take it to BMW to do the work, the numbers will eat up your warranty price limits just on labor.

You need to check the total amount of coverage that the warranty covers on the main items and then google how much those parts cost and see if it's good enough to cover you when something breaks.

I have a warranty, for 1 example they only covered $1500 on my turbos, my rebuild and upgrade was more so I covered a little of it plus the labor.

Get the vin and call the BMW dealership nearest you, see if the CCP has been done, if not take it in and get it done ASAP!!

After you get the coverage totals make sure the warranty will cover atleast the following;
•(4) index 12 injectors (if one goes you have to replace the entire bank of 4, $900-1200 for all 8 labor not included)
•Fuel pumps (high pressure and low pressure)
•Aux water pump
•Radiator (you have 4 and they great pricey)
•Trans
•Engine ($3500 for just the replacement)

I have experienced all of these things except trans and engine (knock on wood) so these are just some of the things you will need to have covered that are expensive, I'm sure some of the others can add to the list.

You will need to stay up on your maintenance so plan on replacing the spark plugs and coils, oil+filter is over $120 and do it yourself and if not replaced already you will need new Crankcase Ventilation hoses. It's a fun car but expensive car too just to keep running.

If you think you can afford a lot of out of pocket costs then get it but if not then best to stick with the 535, still has its issues but I believe they are cheaper to fix. If taken care of then you have a better chance of not dealing with major repairs, but… then again some of us maintain the hell out of our cars and still end up dealing with it. My cars first owner was an older guy that only drove in Sport like 3% of the time based on the data I pulled and I still have receipts from Mercedes and BMW that total over $22k, out of my pocket around $5k but that included upgrades too.

Thank you for the detailed response this is exactly what I was looking for. The CCP was completed and both previous owners appear to have maintained it well.

I saw the car and was sold but need some sense talked into me lol. I love driving but am not a tuner or that mechanically inclined. The more wise decision is to probably just go with another model. This is a hard car to pass up as I’m sure it’s a blast to own. I appreciate everyone’s response and everyone taking the time to help.
Appreciate 1
550bye1389.50
      04-17-2021, 12:47 PM   #12
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
chicks406 glad to help out, they are definitely fun cars and it's probably my fastest car I have owned, but definitely my favorite car. It's a love/hate relationship. They are scary motors, but I would and will buy another one.

If you have the money for repairs and tools, you can always 'become' mechanically inclined from YouTube University, haha. The wife loves this car and I've tried to convince her to buy a 535 but she won't go for it so we will probably introduce another N63 (probably TU though) to the family. Good luck with whatever you decide
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 07:52 PM   #13
chicks406
Rep

Quote:
chicks406 glad to help out, they are definitely fun cars and it's probably my fastest car I have owned, but definitely my favorite car. It's a love/hate relationship. They are scary motors, but I would and will buy another one.

If you have the money for repairs and tools, you can always 'become' mechanically inclined from YouTube University, haha. The wife loves this car and I've tried to convince her to buy a 535 but she won't go for it so we will probably introduce another N63 (probably TU though) to the family. Good luck with whatever you decide
It would definitely be the fastest and nicest car I’ve ever owned which is why I want to invest in it. I’m 30 and never had this nice of a car. I want to be able to have the fun but also transport the family and this seems to be one of the nicest cars I can do that, that’s within budget. Haha true, I think I can do any of the maintenance that isn’t covered by the warranty I just want to confirm the warranties I’m looking at actually cover what I’ll need.

This is the car: https://shift.com/car/2011-black-bmw-5-series/c143940
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 08:18 PM   #14
chicks406
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdisFingF10 View Post
I am working the warranty into my max price so I won’t be getting the car without it. Damn, sorry to hear that.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 10:36 PM   #15
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicks406 View Post
Quote:

It would definitely be the fastest and nicest car I’ve ever owned which is why I want to invest in it. I’m 30 and never had this nice of a car. I want to be able to have the fun but also transport the family and this seems to be one of the nicest cars I can do that, that’s within budget. Haha true, I think I can do any of the maintenance that isn’t covered by the warranty I just want to confirm the warranties I’m looking at actually cover what I’ll need.

Nice, good looking car. Reminds me of my car when I first bought it. It's an amazing car and my kids love it. I have a teenager and littles too. My 6YO son loves the car more than I do, he's always in the back telling me "boost dad boost". Obviously I don't get to crazy with it but they enjoy a little boost here and there.

I'm stage 3 now and it's my daily, my wife drives it more than I do to be honest.

If it's the nicest car you have thought about purchasing then I say get it. Not just the speed but the options. You can grab the vin and check it on https://www.mdecoder.com/ to get a full list of all the options/features but for the most part it looked like you had a pretty good amount of options. Hope you enjoy it, get it and then post some pics. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 11:27 PM   #16
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicks406 View Post

Notice it's a Kommiefornyastan car. Did you research the company? Should you purchase it, would you have it shipped or would you take a road trip? Have you looked at sites like autotrader? Personally, I would get as new a model year as you can, especially if you're looking at the V8. When I was researching the F10 I initially wanted the V8; then I came here and read the horror stories (pre-CCP) of the N63. I then looked at the 535's stats and saw the I6 gives up a mere .5 second to 60. I figured I could live with that and that the I6 handles a bit better because of the lighter nose.

I made two mistakes in my car purchasing endeavors; a 1st year car (which the 2011 F10 is) and what ended up being an orphan car (Lincoln LS). The 1st year car was Chrysler's version of the K-Car. I have learned my lesson and will never buy a 1st year car again. If your budget allows, I would get an LCI; 2014+. The longer a car is in production the better the manufacturer gets at working out the bugs.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #17
chicks406
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Notice it's a Kommiefornyastan car. Did you research the company? Should you purchase it, would you have it shipped or would you take a road trip? Have you looked at sites like autotrader? Personally, I would get as new a model year as you can, especially if you're looking at the V8. When I was researching the F10 I initially wanted the V8; then I came here and read the horror stories (pre-CCP) of the N63. I then looked at the 535's stats and saw the I6 gives up a mere .5 second to 60. I figured I could live with that and that the I6 handles a bit better because of the lighter nose.

I made two mistakes in my car purchasing endeavors; a 1st year car (which the 2011 F10 is) and what ended up being an orphan car (Lincoln LS). The 1st year car was Chrysler's version of the K-Car. I have learned my lesson and will never buy a 1st year car again. If your budget allows, I would get an LCI; 2014+. The longer a car is in production the better the manufacturer gets at working out the bugs.
I researched the company a little but just to make sure they were legit. It’s like vroom or carvana. I would have it shipped. I am in a smaller town in the north west so there are a lot less options. I would have to drive pretty far. I haven’t seen as many 535s on the site or on autotrader, Craigslist, or Facebook market place.

Sound advice and I appreciate the comments. I know there were a lot of problems and that’s why I am wondering if it’s worth it IF you buy the car with a warranty. Both warranties appear to cover almost everything so if/when I do have problems they will take care of it. I am still looking but I’m not going to lie the car seems to be pulling me in. I’ve also looked at 3 series with less miles for around the same price.

I’ll look around for newest 535i I can find within price range and see how close I can get. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0