2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum the engine stop on the road after drivetrain malfunction popup.

02-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
thill0722
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i 2011 my

the engine stop on the road after drivetrain malfunction popup.

This is SungYong Son from San Diego.
I purchased BMW 535i on July 2011 at San Diego.

Our family had a brush with death two times while driving BMW on the road because the engine was suddenly stopped on the road after drivetrain malfunction popup.
I could never stat engine. BMW did never work on the freeway.

It happened two times.
The first stop is on 4th Jan 2013. it was happened on the freeway.
BMW said there is small problem and can fix this problem.
I received my BMW 15th Jan 2013.

The second stop is 3rd Feb 2013.
BMW said there is serious problem and it will take 10 day or more to fix the problem.

I discuss with North America BMW how to guarantee the safety.

I just requested to guarantee the safety of my family from the engine stop.
But BMW said “BMW can’t guarantee your safety once driving your BMW and will just give some money with extend warranty. Keep driving your BMW”

I requested again the guarantee because I don’t want to put my head on the block to drive my BMW.

BMW suggested buyback.
It means if I want to drive BMW again, spend more your money to buy the new BMW.
I should spend more money to buy the new BMW.
is it reasonable?

I am really disappointment BMW’s attitude about this problem.
One of the reason why our family selected BMW is the safety.
But BMW say BMW can’t guarantee the safety.

I just want to drive my 535i BMW again .

Our family had a brush with death two times and get a lot of stress and am in inconvenient over two weeks.

Would you please advise what I can do for the safety of my family?
And please share the story if you have the similar situation.

Thank you for your reading.

Last edited by thill0722; 02-15-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
OzDriver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: '13 535i & '08 530i

Sorry to hear that you have had this problem, there is nothing worse than getting a new car and not having it behave the way you expected

However, no matter how much you pressure them, BMW (or any other car maker) will never guarantee your safety while driving the car. This is because there are so many things that could go wrong while you are driving, many of which they would not be responsible for. A guarantee of safety would make them liable for anything that happened to you, and no company can possibly afford to accept this because of insurance considerations. BMW put a huge amount of effort into making their cars as safe as possible for the occupants - they do more than most car makers and it is one of the reasons why I continue to buy BMWs. Unfortunately, I'm afraid they can't (and won't) guarantee the safety of you and your family.

If the problem with your car can't be fixed to your satisfaction, and they offer you a buyback to get you into a new car, then I think you should consider taking it. You want to be able to use your car with the feeling of confidence and security that most BMW drivers enjoy. They should offer you a deal where the only cost to you represents the value you have already had from driving the car to date.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
thill0722
United_States
Rep

Thank you for your advice.

I request "please guarantee the engine stop never happen again"
but they said they can't.
I think it means the engine stop might be happened.TT
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Completely agree with what OzDriver said - there's no company in the world which would put such a statement in writing and frankly - no one can really say what can go wrong at any given moment, regardless of whether we're talking about BMW or cars in general...

With that said I think you've lost trust with the car. Buying a new car is the same story - it's really a question of whether a problem is more likely to transpire with your repaired vehicle or with another one. I'd say that if the service center do a good job the chances are about the same. Obviously, problems can develop with any car, but BMW are a brand with a good track record with regard to reliability and safety (otherwise they wouldn't be in business and sell so many cars). You're just being unlucky. You may switch to another brand entirely and hit the same problem on day 1... Good luck regardless of the choice you make.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
EJ_92606
Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550i; '11 R1200GS

Wow, that is a discouraging story. I would pursue the buy back with them and get a new BMW. Perhaps if they are unwilling to give you a brand new car and you are unwilling to pay the extra amount they can provide you with a comparable pre-owned or BMW executive car to replace yours? Keep negotiating with them. BMWs are great cars and the problem that you experienced is rare.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill0722
Thank you for your advice.

I request "please guarantee the engine stop never happen again"
but they said they can't.
I think it means the engine stop might be happened.TT
I had a similar safety issue with my previous 2011 550xi Sport. Wiring harnesses in the seats were causing an airbag fault which took multiple trips to two BMW Service Centers to address. The 2nd Service Center and I actually contacted BMW North America's Customer Advocate to resolve the issue. BMW approved a Buyback of my car and I ordered a loaded 2012 MSport 550xi.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you but nothing made by man's hands is without fault. Not all BMW dealerships and service centers are the same! Do some research and find the best one in your area and use them exclusively for service. Also check California's Lemon Laws to see if there's any actions that can be taken on your behalf.
Losing confidence in your car is a terrible thing, trust me I've been there! I'm just very fortunate that BMW stood behind their product and me as a customer!

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your dilemma.
      02-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

I had a 2011 535 with a similar problem. After thirty days of trying to find the problem and failing, BMW offered to buy my car back. I took the offer and, using the money I got, bought an X5d.
2011 was the beginning of a new model 5 series and I think I was caught up in the period where the bugs were showing up and being worked out of the car. That's why I stayed out of another 5. The X5 was approaching 4 years or so of production and I figured the bugs were out - or at least the big bugs. I'm happy with it.
As far as how much money you will get, they'll probably offer you the same deal as I got. They'll give you all your money back except for an amount they will charge you for the use of the car. That charge is a prorated amount based on the number of miles you have put on the car. Given that I had put many problem free miles on the car, I thought it was a fair deal- more than fair, in fact.
Good luck in resolving the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
thill0722
United_States
Rep

Thank you for your all advice.

I got the message from North America BMW that they will buy back my BMW with reasonable price.

thank you again.
Appreciate 0