2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding (Focals K2)speaker wire repair help!

01-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

(Focals K2)speaker wire repair help!

alright tech gurus...need some help here. on my Focals on my doors the wire that comes from the speaker terminals have come off the cone. ever see how it seems like it's partially glued to it than comes off and than soldered to the speaker terminals. i circled in red what i'm talking about. it's just the one wire! if i touch the wire to the cone the audio comes back on. it managed to come off so i'm wondering what to use to make it stick. i tried super glue and that $hit didn't work. anybody have any ideas what i can use?

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 01-09-2016 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
Zeros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e & 2013 528i

You would have to solder it to make a good electrical connection, but it might be a bit difficult getting a soldering iron in there through the basket and managing not to damage or burn/melt part of the cone. I'd honestly contact Focal and explain the situation. That wire should not have come off of the cone. If you can convince them that it is a manufacturers defect, they might do something for you. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros View Post
You would have to solder it to make a good electrical connection, but it might be a bit difficult getting a soldering iron in there through the basket and managing not to damage or burn/melt part of the cone. I'd honestly contact Focal and explain the situation. That wire should not have come off of the cone. If you can convince them that it is a manufacturers defect, they might do something for you. Good luck.
it's not even solder used to connect to the cone...i'll see if i can take a picture of it
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Zeros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e & 2013 528i

Did the wire actually break? Is the speaker still playing? I thought you meant that the wire disconnected completely from the cone. It shouldn't really matter if it is glued to the cone, the issue is if the wire broken. That would stop the audio. As you can see in your diagram above, those wires don't need to be glued to the cone, they just need to make a connection from the terminal to the voice coil of the speaker.

Last edited by Zeros; 01-11-2016 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The wite is not brokrn. If you look you can see the glue on the cone/wire. Where it's like black smudge if I press the wire down it works. When I let go of the wire i lose audio...weird.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #7
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

If the wire is not broken anywhere, then it looks like you have a cold solder (a loose solder joint) on the terminal. If so, you need to re-solder it.

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2016, 10:18 AM   #8
Diesel Flash
The Flasher
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M sport

Garage List
2008 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
The wite is not brokrn. If you look you can see the glue on the cone/wire. Where it's like black smudge if I press the wire down it works. When I let go of the wire i lose audio...weird.

Did you manage to fix that wire after? Got me concerned now as i run the k2's.
How did you end up mounting/sticking the crossovers to door card, gotta be fair those casings are damn heavy!!
      01-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Flash View Post
Did you manage to fix that wire after? Got me concerned now as i run the k2's.
How did you end up mounting/sticking the crossovers to door card, gotta be fair those casings are damn heavy!!
I went to a pretty good audio shop and they said because the K2's are pricey they couldn't recommend a fix due to liability issues. So I ended up black taping it and it's working for now. I emailed Focal so I'm still waiting for a response. Keep in mind these Focal's are in my Titan so in regards to the crossover I know what you mean as these are pretty solid and heavy. Here's where I have mine mounted:
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 04:59 AM   #10
Diesel Flash
The Flasher
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
I went to a pretty good audio shop and they said because the K2's are pricey they couldn't recommend a fix due to liability issues. So I ended up black taping it and it's working for now. I emailed Focal so I'm still waiting for a response. Keep in mind these Focal's are in my Titan so in regards to the crossover I know what you mean as these are pretty solid and heavy. Here's where I have mine mounted:

Thats a bummer with the wire, still if it is working ok perhaps the tape will hold? Not ideal but something.

Wish i could of bolted mine to door card, just not possible with the location in our cars, ended up bonding it with four dots in each corner of two part adhesive and hot melt gluing the shit out of it around the edges, dont think shes moving anytime soon.

Good luck though with focal , let us know if if you get anywhere with them
      02-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats a bummer with the wire, still if it is working ok perhaps the tape will hold? Not ideal but something.

Wish i could of bolted mine to door card, just not possible with the location in our cars, ended up bonding it with four dots in each corner of two part adhesive and hot melt gluing the shit out of it around the edges, dont think shes moving anytime soon.

Good luck though with focal , let us know if if you get anywhere with them
Just posted in your thread. Looks SWEET!
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2016, 05:13 AM   #12
Diesel Flash
The Flasher
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Just posted in your thread. Looks SWEET!
Need ur advice i think, im not running any amp at present but have listed a thread on main page and audio section, on the bimmertech amp. Have you any experience with it?

Thats the route im taking i think just cant decide which one?

Thanks in advance, and yes ur rite those focals are sweeet
      02-02-2016, 08:09 AM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Need ur advice i think, im not running any amp at present but have listed a thread on main page and audio section, on the bimmertech amp. Have you any experience with it?

Thats the route im taking i think just cant decide which one?

Thanks in advance, and yes ur rite those focals are sweeet
Replied Brother!
Appreciate 0