2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Car won't start, can't change gears...

03-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
can128
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Car won't start, can't change gears...

So I'm dropping off a friend after a night out at 2am, turn the car off only to have error messages stating ignition failure: do not to turn the car off because I may not be able to start it again and to contact my nearest dealer. By this point it was too late and I was unable to start the car. My car is an automatic 2011 535i xdrive with under 10,000km on it. Now although that's frustrating enough, my bigger concern is that there is no emergency transmission release to get the car in Neutral and maneuver it in an emergency situation! Luckily the car was on the driveway and was not obstructing traffic, but I then had to get a tow truck using a lift and dolly as opposed to the flatbed. This absolutely blows my mind... I understand that pre September assembly dates came with a tool that would release the transmission beneath the cup holder, but mine clearly doesn't have that ability. I couldn't be more frustrated and upset with something that should be so simple. I was a little concerned coming in to a car that relies so heavily on electronic systems, but this just sealed the deal for me. Nothing quite like a manual transmission, or at least a little more simplicity when it comes to emergency situations like something as simple as getting the car in neutral!

Sorry for the rant, just venting.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

According to E60orBust, you can do the following:
1: Push start button or attempt to start the car (even if it doesn't turn over, just push it [ignition button] down anyway)
2: Push the [shift] lever twice in to N
3: Push the [shift] lever to N and hold for 5 seconds
4: Transmission is now disengaged for 15 minutes after which it will re-lock itself.

The new 8speed transmission no longer require a tool to release it into neutral. I sure wish I had this info when my first X5 died in the middle of a busy intersection.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Luigi524TD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e MSport

Exclamation Moving BMW in an Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
1: Push start button or attempt to start the car (even if it doesn't turn over, just push it [ignition button] down anyway)
4: Transmission is now disengaged for 15 minutes after which it will re-lock itself.

The new 8speed transmission no longer require a tool to release it into neutral. I sure wish I had this info when my first X5 died in the middle of a busy intersection.

I'm going to print this on labels and post it several places in my car (under hood - in Trunk - On Owner's Manual - ETC)!! I even searched my owners manual for information and IT'S NOT THERE!!

I'M SHOCKED it's not on one of those bright yellow warning labels car manufacturers stick everywhere!
2013 X1 3.5 MSport
1998 Z3 2.8
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi524TD View Post

I'm going to print this on labels and post it several places in my car (under hood - in Trunk - On Owner's Manual - ETC)!! I even searched my owners manual for information and IT'S NOT THERE!!

I'M SHOCKED it's not on one of those bright yellow warning labels car manufacturers stick everywhere!
Even BMW assist couldn't tell me this info when I called 3 times. You should make this label and sell it on the forum for $2 shipped.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
can128
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

You've just posted pure GOLD. Why this information is not easily accessible through the on-board owners manual, or printed in BIG BOLD writing on the first page of the hard copy owner's manual is completely beyond me. Even BMW Assist was not able to provide me with this information... $75,000 car and it took a member in a forum to provide this simple but vital information. Brutal.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
can128
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I just tested this method and it doesn't seem to work... Can anyone else confirm?
      04-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by can128 View Post
I just tested this method and it doesn't seem to work... Can anyone else confirm?
Here's an old thread.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-630236.html
Appreciate 1
ey2001310.00
      05-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #8
kartel101
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 E39 M5

Garage List
2012 550i losses power and is stuck in park.

Has anyone ever had this issue before?

Car broke down on me out of no where on the hwy. It just completely lost power. I felt the car shaking and also heard a rattling noise underneath the car. I felt the car slowly starting to lose power and then the chassis stabilization warning came on. I pulled onto the shoulder and then car would not start for nothing. The power came on but the car would not turn over. Then the car refused to come out of park like it was stuck. I had to leave it on the hwy this morning and have a tow truck to get some dollies to even move it because it couldn't even be put on a flat bed due to the transmission being locked in park.

Any idea what could have caused this?
Appreciate 0