2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Any 528i m sport owners do me a favor?

08-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Any 528i m sport owners do me a favor?

I have a 2012 528i m sport with the factory 18" wheels and just installed H&R oe sport springs. The front looks like it's sitting a little high to me. Would any fellow 528i m sport owners mind measuring the distance between the center of the front wheel and the fender so I can very my drop? Should have done this before installing but can't go back now. Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 528

I'm sorry I can't help with your request.

I know this is off topic but can you tell me how nice the OE sports ride? You're the first person I've heard of with them and I'm considering getting them instead of eibachs. I sold a set of H&R sports because I didn't want my car to look raked with the front lower than the rear.

Can you share why you chose OE sports?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #3
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

I have only had about 20min of drive time with them so far coming back home yesterday after having them installed. So far they feel slightly more firm than stock but certainly not uncomfortable. I need more time though to get a better feel.

I went with the oe sports because I wanted a minimal drop (not more than 1"). I was really just looking for a tighter ride and better handling, not a huge drop.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I have only had about 20min of drive time with them so far coming back home yesterday after having them installed. So far they feel slightly more firm than stock but certainly not uncomfortable. I need more time though to get a better feel.

I went with the oe sports because I wanted a minimal drop (not more than 1"). I was really just looking for a tighter ride and better handling, not a huge drop.
Thanks for the insight. I need a minimal level drop as well. I know eibach claims the same 1" drop front and rear but I had not heard of anyone with OE sports. Please share more info after some more driving either in this thread or feel free to pm me.

So it seems you got less of a drop from being already at Msport height. I'm on standard suspension so I can assume slightly more. I really just need 1" to eliminate my car looking to tall on 21" alpinas.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

I actually read that for 2012 at least there is no difference in ride hight between m sport and non m sport vehicles. But right now it almost looks as if the front is actually higher than it was stock. That's why I want to her measurements to confirm. Maybe non m sport measurements could provide the same info since there apparently is no difference for 2012.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
You have to give it a moment to settle. I know when I lift my car on one side I have to drive around a little for it to settle. It always looks high after lifting the car.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #7
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles
You have to give it a moment to settle. I know when I lift my car on one side I have to drive around a little for it to settle. It always looks high after lifting the car.
Yea hopefully that's it. It still kind of looks the same today but I haven't driven it since yesterday. Mind you the rear looks great, it's just the front that looks high.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Post a picture of your car to see what it looks like. Do you happen to have any pics of the car before the spring install as well ?

I've heard of people having their springs installed backward or mixed front/rear by mistake. Any chance that happened?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #9
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually read that for 2012 at least there is no difference in ride hight between m sport and non m sport vehicles. But right now it almost looks as if the front is actually higher than it was stock. That's why I want to her measurements to confirm. Maybe non m sport measurements could provide the same info since there apparently is no difference for 2012.
Mine is a 2011 non sport
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #10
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKFAN
Post a picture of your car to see what it looks like. Do you happen to have any pics of the car before the spring install as well ?

I've heard of people having their springs installed backward or mixed front/rear by mistake. Any chance that happened?
Here are some pics of how it sits now after the install. Not the best lighting but you get the idea. The rear is great, front just seems too high. No chance of springs being installed wrong.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Are you sure you got the right springs? Not sure with H&R, but I've read some guys getting the wrong ACS springs. With ACS, the rears are the same for 528s and 535s, but the fronts are different.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 11:40 PM   #12
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

That looks a little high. From center of wheel to edge of wheel well is 16" front and 15" rear for my car. 20" wheels, stock height.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 02:07 AM   #13
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here are some pics of how it sits now after the install. Not the best lighting but you get the idea. The rear is great, front just seems too high. No chance of springs being installed wrong.

The rear seems like it's sitting as it should or maybe more than 1" as claimed for the OE sports . Front does look a bit too high.

How has the ride quality grown on you?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #14
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
The car has to settle. You can speed up that process by driving it around corners and driveways.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #15
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

I just checked on H&R's website and they have the same part number for 528i's and 535i's (50472-55 for the OE Sport Springs). I'm not sure how the ride height up front wouldn't be impacted with a 4 cylinder engine that weighs less than the inline 6. Seems like H&R should have a different setup for the 528i. Either that, or show a different drop (both show 1" up front).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #16
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

It has settled some over the last several days. Here is how it looks now. Certainly not slammed but then again 1" is minimal lowering.

As far as ride quality I have been very pleased. It's certainly more firm than stock but not at all harsh. What has really impressed me is the way the springs have seemed to mitigate the cars weight when cornering. I feel MUCH less body roll taking my familiar daily turns which is what I ultimately wanted in these springs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #17
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It has settled some over the last several days. Here is how it looks now. Certainly not slammed but then again 1" is minimal lowering.

As far as ride quality I have been very pleased. It's certainly more firm than stock but not at all harsh. What has really impressed me is the way the springs have seemed to mitigate the cars weight when cornering. I feel MUCH less body roll taking my familiar daily turns which is what I ultimately wanted in these springs.
Looks cool. These might be what I need with my car and my set up.

Thanks for the feedback on the ride quality.

Do you have a before picture of your car?

Last edited by CLKFAN; 09-03-2015 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 04:29 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
I just checked on H&R's website and they have the same part number for 528i's and 535i's (50472-55 for the OE Sport Springs). I'm not sure how the ride height up front wouldn't be impacted with a 4 cylinder engine that weighs less than the inline 6. Seems like H&R should have a different setup for the 528i. Either that, or show a different drop (both show 1" up front).
Makes it a bit hit and miss, also explains why drops are often different across examples.

BMW have different spring part numbers according to options even for the same model, not much hope of exact drops with a single spring to cover different engine models, let alone the options added.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #19
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKFAN
Quote:

Looks cool. These might be what I need with my car and my set up.

Thanks for the feedback on the ride quality.

Do you have a before picture of your car?
I don't have any before pics unfortunately. Honestly, you would have a hard time telling that the car has been lowered so if you are wanting a noticeably lower look then I would avoid these springs. I didn't want my car that much lower, just wanted better handling with as little sacrifice as possible to ride quality (isn't that what we all want?) in which case the oe sport springs seem to be a perfect fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 04:42 PM   #20
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't have any before pics unfortunately. Honestly, you would have a hard time telling that the car has been lowered so if you are wanting a noticeably lower look then I would avoid these springs. I didn't want my car that much lower, just wanted better handling with as little sacrifice as possible to ride quality (isn't that what we all want?) in which case the oe sport springs seem to be a perfect fit.
I'm debating on Eibach or these OE sports. Eibach's website says 1" front and rear which is the same with these OE sports.

If you had to guess you think your car lowered by .75" or less? According to Mod B they claim the Eibachs start off at .75" and then settle down to about 1" but in some cases they settle more. There isn't enough data on the OE sports so that's why I keep asking. I'm making the choice next week. Can you tell me how they feel today?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #21
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

I made the mistake of not measuring before so I really can't confirm if it's a full 1" or slightly less. It's so subtle that trying to guess by visual memory is an exercise in futility. Eibach and H&R are two of the most reputable spring names there are so if both lower the same amount I'm sure you would be happy with either. Generally, once you go lower than 1" ride quality can become an issue.
Appreciate 0