2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Newbie - About to Order, HUD Question

02-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Keller Steeler
Rep
Drives: Soon to be 550i

Newbie - About to Order, HUD Question

I have been lurking here for a couple months as I have been narrowing down my car choices. A ton of great info here - thanks. I drove an A6, A7, 535i, and 550i. The power of the 550i grabbed me. I really liked the A6, minus the pop up nav, but the 550i is a different animal. I have never really been a huge car guy and thought I did not need/want the power - it left an impression.

Anyway, I visited a dealer for about the 6th time in two weeks as I get closer to pulling the trigger. I have my color combo picked out and options that I want. They located one that could be here in a couple of weeks with my options and colors. It does have a HUD and the top and side view cameras on top of what I want. I liked the cameras on a few that I have driven so that is not a problem. What I don't know about is the HUD. Is it worth having? I am happy with the price I have been quoted, but a $1k+ is still a $1k + for something I have not really looked at. For those of you that have it, do you use it or is it a novelty? I am trying to decide to pull the trigger on this or just order one without. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW X5

The few times I test drove the 5 series with the HUD, I liked it. It is a nice feature for Navigation assistance as you do not need to glance down if you want to see the map specific info for turnoffs, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

I have found HUD a really nice and useful feature, especially with Navigation and speed limit info. For me it is also a safety issue, as the relevant info is where you want it. And in Sweden this option costs more than 14 000 SEK, approx 2 000 USD Despite this, worth every crown!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Keyinhand
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 528i (sold); F44 M235 GC (

I use the HUD on every road trip (or every time I have the NAV running as I find it very helpful) and also on day to day commutes when i can open the car up - I really love the way the speed limit comes up in front of me, so I can keep eyes on the road, not even having to look down at the needle. VERY helpful at night, and I drive a 528i…with the power you are about to get in a 550i, spend that money and enjoy the HUD.

The best part of the HUD when not in use - on the MY 2011 cars, it means you also have the extended instrument cluster (at least in US Spec cars), which is something i enjoy every time I drive the car - the ability to quickly thumb thru playlists via the steering wheel button and see at a glance the next 3-4 songs is something I use daily. Not sure if MY 2012 is the same, but that little extra feature is worth it to me…and the HUD is the one "toy" i opted in for when i ordered mine, after turning down the night vision (too expensive and would not get enough use where i live) and drivers assistance - wish they had put the triangle warning light inside the cabin ala vovlo and not on the mirror and hard to see in real world use).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Keller Steeler
Rep

Thanks. Sounds like I may order the car with the HUD. List in the US is $1,300 and invoice is $1,185.

The 6WA instrument cluster is included with the options on the car.

Last edited by Keller Steeler; 02-12-2012 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

HUD are awesome, but I don't have it and still very happy with my F10 535i. One option I would get, is definitely the M Sport Package. I didn't get this option, and boy am I envious of those who did.

If you don't care to track your car, the 535i has more than enough power for everyday use and very conservative on fuel (I'm getting 27.2mpg avg, 70% highway driving).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Keller Steeler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
HUD are awesome, but I don't have it and still very happy with my F10 535i. One option I would get, is definitely the M Sport Package. I didn't get this option, and boy am I envious of those who did.

If you don't care to track your car, the 535i has more than enough power for everyday use and very conservative on fuel (I'm getting 27.2mpg avg, 70% highway driving).
M sport is on top of my option list. The 535i has more than enough power, but the 550i just floored me. I don't need it, but I keep asking myself if I would miss it. I never really had the need or want for that large of an engine until I drove it. This is the first time I have bought a car as a "present" for myself. In six months, I don't want to say "I wish I would have gotten ......". I know it will happen, but I can't seem to get away from the engine. This has been going on for weeks and weeks and I keep going toward the 550i.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
gunship guy
Rep
Drives: A Manual!

Get the HUD. Once you drive one you will wish you had it in all of your cars.

I have one in my car and also fly with one in the airplane too, it is hard to go back. So much information is presented to you directly in your line of sight. I still wish a little more info would show up in the 5, but I am still happy with not having to look down as much.

Well worth the extra money!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Get the Hud, but make sure you get it with the collision detection. These two systems work in tandem to save your butt. Together, these systems give you that extra margin of error that I am convinced helps to avoid accidents.

Taken with the fact that we have so many driver distractions, these two systems, when combined, form a brilliant safety mechanism.

When you are directly behind a car that is slowing down, aside from the brake lights, your only visual cue is the increasing size of the rectangular shape of his rear. Many times people do slow down without braking. Sometimes it is hard for your eyes to detect that the vehicle in front of you is slowing down. This system solves the problem.

You will see a "red" car in the HUD warning you of the impending collision. Plus, your brakes immediately prime. A quick light tap on the brakes will feel like you jammed on the brakes. Apparently, there is evidence that drivers often times do not stomp on the brake when they should; thus, the dynamic brake control intervenes and forces signifcantly more brake pressure when needed.

Now, the collision detection does work without the HUD, but the red wanring light "the red car" is in the dash and it does not grab your attention the way it does in the HUD.

I know this system can't prevent every collision, but you will find that your margin for safety is increased by proper use of this system.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Get the Hud, but make sure you get it with the collision detection. These two systems work in tandem to save your butt. Together, these systems give you that extra margin of error that I am convinced helps to avoid accidents.

Taken with the fact that we have so many driver distractions, these two systems, when combined, form a brilliant safety mechanism.

When you are directly behind a car that is slowing down, aside from the brake lights, your only visual cue is the increasing size of the rectangular shape of his rear. Many times people do slow down without braking. Sometimes it is hard for your eyes to detect that the vehicle in front of you is slowing down. This system solves the problem.

You will see a "red" car in the HUD warning you of the impending collision. Plus, your brakes immediately prime. A quick light tap on the brakes will feel like you jammed on the brakes. Apparently, there is evidence that drivers often times do not stomp on the brake when they should; thus, the dynamic brake control intervenes and forces signifcantly more brake pressure when needed.

Now, the collision detection does work without the HUD, but the red wanring light "the red car" is in the dash and it does not grab your attention the way it does in the HUD.

I know this system can't prevent every collision, but you will find that your margin for safety is increased by proper use of this system.
A bit OT...I think it is a pity BMW does not include safety features such as adaptive cruise control with collision detection, lane departure warning, night vision, active protection, overtaking sensor, HUD etc. as standard. In Sweden they can only be chosen separately and cost thousands of dollars. :
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #11
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

I love the HUD have it on permanently. It is an extension of the Instrument panel. As well as your speed and the current speed limit, the Navigation information is displayed. It even displays an arrow showing which way the road is bending. Warnings such as Low temperature Ice warnings also get flashed up on the HUD. The HUD is also used by the Active cruise control, the lane departure warning, and the night vision warnings. My problem was I couldn't find a built on with it so had to go for a custom build, go for it if you can.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
ace_pilot
Rep
Drives: F10 550 e34 540/6 F328

Most of these safety items are custom ordered and takes time to build. I was not able to find one with even the side camera. HUD, however, does come in some cars already built. I guess they're just not popular options, is what the sales drone told me.

Ace
Appreciate 0