2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum any idea how to fix this?

04-27-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Xdrive

any idea how to fix this?

Just installed 3D non M-sport front lip, I bought it from eBay, you know the fitment does not come what I expect. However, the body shop did some kind of magic . there are 2 parts that I am concerned right now. I am trying to put those thing go inside but it seems it only works on the right side not for the left side. any idea how to fix that? I put some 3m tape to hold it but it did not work on the left side. should I buy better/stronger double sided tape? or else?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
chiasl
Rep
Drives: F11 535i Touring

I have the same problem on the left side too though not as obvious as yours. Used the strongest 3M double sided tape I could find but still not able get it flushed with the bumper. Went to body shop and was told the only way is to drill a hole and use a screw to hold it in place. I was not keen to have holes in it in case I decide to remove it so decided to live with it.

Would like to hear if anybody has any suggestions too...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #3
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: gaggle of BMW's

Honestly to fix it you're probably going to have to take it off and remove all the existing tape and give it another shot. While it's off and if the material is flexible you could probably put some tension on that top piece with say painters tape and pull it back for a few days or so shape it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46beater View Post
Honestly to fix it you're probably going to have to take it off and remove all the existing tape and give it another shot. While it's off and if the material is flexible you could probably put some tension on that top piece with say painters tape and pull it back for a few days or so shape it.
I think I am going to get stronger double sided tape. I want to try if it can hold better or not. I am planning to get 3M VHB, but there are so many options. still confused which one I should get. what do you think? I heard that it is pretty strong to hold.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: gaggle of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownfast View Post
I think I am going to get stronger double sided tape. I want to try if it can hold better or not. I am planning to get 3M VHB, but there are so many options. still confused which one I should get. what do you think? I heard that it is pretty strong to hold.
3M is probably your best bet.. you might get a hairdryer and try to heat up the surface if you're not taking the whole thing off.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46beater View Post
3M is probably your best bet.. you might get a hairdryer and try to heat up the surface if you're not taking the whole thing off.
just finished it using scotch extreme (the only thing i can find near my house) let's see how long it is going to hold.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
jdmfrogg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

if the mold was off and there is no other way to get it to conform - 3m VHB. It's the industrial strength stuff... not sold in a retail package so you'll have to order some via ebay

there are a bunch of different models based on what you are bonding, width of tape, etc... so might want to refer to this to pick the right one:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/3...0Low%20Res.pdf
Appreciate 0