2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Autocar slags F10 ride without VDC

04-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #45
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_d View Post
VDC on its own, only on smaller engine options, such as 520d/525d/523i/528i and 530d/535i/550i must have both (according to bmw.co.uk).

Pete what engine options were you test driving?
Tried the 530d auto with 18" wheels, followed by a 535i on 19" with the sport auto box.

I love the petrol engine, works well from low to mid range, so doesn't make the diesel stand out as the only one worth looking at, for day to day driving. I'm a typical dieselhead, currently in a 330d, so know how the diesel performs. The petrol was as close as you can get to a lazy drive, (I've owned a 540i V8), but with a few revs to play with.

You mentioned tyre pressures in the earlier post, I've been there as well. Had long debates with BMW and Bridgestone over the tyres and pressures. Don't think the F10 has completely solved the tyre influence and the strange feedback we get. The 530d on 18" wheels did lose its composure and steering precision, as the front wheels fought for their own line on some surfaces.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #46
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Tried the 530d auto with 18" wheels, followed by a 535i on 19" with the sport auto box.

I love the petrol engine, works well from low to mid range, so doesn't make the diesel stand out as the only one worth looking at, for day to day driving. I'm a typical dieselhead, currently in a 330d, so know how the diesel performs. The petrol was as close as you can get to a lazy drive, (I've owned a 540i V8), but with a few revs to play with.

You mentioned tyre pressures in the earlier post, I've been there as well. Had long debates with BMW and Bridgestone over the tyres and pressures. Don't think the F10 has completely solved the tyre influence and the strange feedback we get. The 530d on 18" wheels did lose its composure and steering precision, as the front wheels fought for their own line on some surfaces.

HighlandPete
Pete, just to be clear...

The 530d was on 18" RFTs without any chassis trick?

The 535i was on 19" RFT with option 2VA Adaptive Drive (which includes option 223 VDC)?
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 05:28 AM   #47
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Pete, just to be clear...

The 530d was on 18" RFTs without any chassis trick?

The 535i was on 19" RFT with option 2VA Adaptive Drive (which includes option 223 VDC)?
No tricks on the 530d... the 535i spec confuses. The way I interpreted the way it behaved, has some 'electronic chassis' adjustments.

There wasn't a 'comfort' setting, so no VDC. For the 535i we must have option 2VA, to get active roll bars (Dynamic Drive) and VDC, agree?

The car had the sport box, so has Drive Dynamic Control. (Brochure name and states with 2TB you get the Drive Dynamic Control option). Pushing sport clearly changes the chassis some way. We looked at the user manual and it seemed to indicate we had Dynamic Drive, also the point I mentioned that the I-Drive setting listed 'steering and chassis' as an option, which is where it was set. You could toggle through other setting options.

For Drive Dynamic Control, BMW state:

Quote:
Driving Dynamic Control.
How would you like to drive today? Driving Dynamic Control, gives you total control to meet your or your passengers' needs in the BMW 5 Series Saloon.

A touch of the switch next to the gearshift lever changes the level of driving pleasure from NORMAL to SPORT: the engine responds more spontaneously to the accelerator and the eight-speed transmission with Steptronic lets the engine rev high before quickly changing up a gear. At the same time the steering and chassis tighten. Touch the switch again to enter the SPORT + mode where the Dynamic Stability Control allows increased slip to the rear wheels.

The currently active mode is permanently displayed underneath the speedometer, and in the SPORT mode the drive train and chassis settings can be quickly and individually configured using the iDrive Controller for dynamic driving on badly surfaced roads for example.

The COMFORT mode is available with Variable Damping Control which provides both the driver and passengers with maximum comfort on longer journeys.
So what the 535i had and how the chassis tightened up for rough surfaces, which the car clearly did, I'm trying to understand.

How does a chassis tighten up without Dynamic Drive and/or VDC. What is 'electronic' in the chassis, outside those systems?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #48
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No tricks on the 530d... the 535i spec confuses. The way I interpreted the way it behaved, has some 'electronic chassis' adjustments.

There wasn't a 'comfort' setting, so no VDC. For the 535i we must have option 2VA, to get active roll bars (Dynamic Drive) and VDC, agree?

The car had the sport box, so has Drive Dynamic Control. (Brochure name and states with 2TB you get the Drive Dynamic Control option). Pushing sport clearly changes the chassis some way. We looked at the user manual and it seemed to indicate we had Dynamic Drive, also the point I mentioned that the I-Drive setting listed 'steering and chassis' as an option, which is where it was set. You could toggle through other setting options.

For Drive Dynamic Control, BMW state:

So what the 535i had and how the chassis tightened up for rough surfaces, which the car clearly did, I'm trying to understand.

How does a chassis tighten up without Dynamic Drive and/or VDC. What is 'electronic' in the chassis, outside those systems?

HighlandPete
Only suggeston I have, is the 535i must have had both 2VA and 223. There must be someway of telling for sure?
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #49
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

I totally agree the instructions for the options are not clear. My SE says that I can have the VDC on the 535i and there won't be a comfort mode.

ps A separate point, he also said that the VDC and active anti-roll bars will need maintenance as they are ""wear and tear"" items.

Last edited by bm323; 04-16-2010 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #50
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 (523)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
I totally agree the instructions for the options are not clear. My SE says that I can have the VDC on the 535i and there won't be a comfort mode.

ps A separate point, he also said that the VDC and active anti-roll bars will need maintenance as they are ""wear and tear"" items.
Your SE is probably misinformed. Ask him to check with Sean (sp?) the product manager at PML. The 535 on display now at PML does not have the Comfort mode simply because it is the standard 535 spec, which does not have VDC. With VDC, you will have the Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #51
bm323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfnc View Post
Your SE is probably misinformed. Ask him to check with Sean (sp?) the product manager at PML. The 535 on display now at PML does not have the Comfort mode simply because it is the standard 535 spec, which does not have VDC. With VDC, you will have the Comfort mode.
Thanks nfnc, will check. But the idrive of the on display 535 can access the chassis on screen and tighten it, if I'm correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #52
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks nfnc, will check. But the idrive of the on display 535 can access the chassis on screen and tighten it, if I'm correct?
As mentioned on the other thread, with VDC, it will just be like the F01. The PML product manager appears to know his stuff and perhaps your SE should put you in touch with him. He was able to clarify a number of concerns that I had.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 03:37 AM   #53
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep

I will try to summary where I stand on this thread and I think BMW has made a big mistake?

Autocar, and HighlandPete's posts above who I trust before Autocar, have both experienced driving a F10 on standard suspension with 18" RFTs and the ride/handling on rougher roads was very poor (the type of rougher roads a big salon car should just absorb easily - after all that's why we buy these car types), suggesting that VDC (option 223) is a must have with RFT's!

All launch cars, and therefore the positive test drive write-ups to date, had VDC and Active Drive fitted (options 223 and 2VA). These systems are highly tuned by BMW for 18" RFTs (according to Autocar) and enhance the F10 ride and handling significantly, hence the glowing praise of the F10 ride handling in early tests. But have we been misled by these early tests cars with their expensive chassis options (223/2VA)?

In most European countries, the standard wheels are 17" with non-RFTs tyres (yes non-RFTs)! Its fare to assume that the standard suspension has been tuned by BMW for 17" non-RFT, which may explain the poor ride on 18" RFTs experienced by Autocar and HighlandPete? This suggests that with any tyre harder than a 17" non-RFT the VDC option is a must have - ouch!

Worst still for UK drivers, BMW UK has made RFTs standard on the 17" wheels yet VDC is still an expensive extra (even more expense on 535i/530d/550i where you must also buy Adaptive Drive or option 2VA).

Is there a fundamental flaw here with the standard chassis tuning and the 18" wheel sizes most buyers will opt for? Seems like BMW are forcing us to buy VDC (Option 223)?

There is also much debate between countries on whether VDC (option 223) can be configured without Adaptive Drive (option 2VA) with bigger engine options (535i/530d/550i). Can some countries order just VDC on bigger engine options but Europe cannot?

M-Sport suspension, option 704, is available in Germany but it cannot be combined with VDC or Adaptive Drive! Assuming M-Sport is tuned for 18" RFTs 18" also, it's likely the better cost option ~70% cheaper. (The rubber bushings, dampers and springs will all be highly tuned for bigger, 18" RFTs" wheels - not just lowered springs)

M sports chassis (S0704) (translated from bmw.de)
This chassis developed by M GmbH includes a tighter chassis design and lowering the vehicle by 10 mm. Customized mounts, shorter springs and stabilizers with superior torsional stiffness optimize ground contact of your BMW for a sporting driving without however compromise security.

However in the UK and US, M-Sport suspension cannot be optioned?

We need some test drive feedback of M-Sport suspension equiped cars.

Hopefully the full M-Sport package will be made available in Europe soon and orderable in the UK?

So what did Autocar mean by "a revision is planned"? I asked BMW UK and they said this is not confirmed, which is another way of saying yes a fix is coming but we will not tell you when.

Any comments please?

Last edited by carl_d; 04-17-2010 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 04:09 AM   #54
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:

M-Sport suspension, option 704, is available in Germany but it cannot be combined with VDC or Adaptive Drive! Assuming M-Sport is tuned for 18" RFTs 18" also, it's likely the better cost option ~70% cheaper. (The rubber bushings, dampers and springs will all be highly tuned for bigger, 18" RFTs" wheels - not just lowered springs)

M sports chassis (S0704) (translated from bmw.de)
This chassis developed by M GmbH includes a tighter chassis design and lowering the vehicle by 10 mm. Customized mounts, shorter springs and stabilizers with superior torsional stiffness optimize ground contact of your BMW for a sporting driving without however compromise security.

However in the UK and US, M-Sport suspension cannot be optioned?

We need some test drive feedback of M-Sport suspension equiped cars.

I ordered the M Suspension (704) so it's available overhere.(Dunno about the rest of the continent, Scandinavia, France, Spain, Italy, Eastern Europe? Anybody?)
As soon as I have my car(ETA may 21st 2010) I'll write something about it.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #55
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep

To add to the conumdrum, here is what carenthusiast.com had to say (and it looks to be the same spec 530d that Autocar UK tested with standard suspension and 18" RFTs}:
"Ride & Handling:

BMW has taken the brave step of risking the wrath of corner-mongers by eschewing firm sportiness in favour of cosseting compliance this time around. But how many people really care about on-the-limit feel in a diesel executive saloon? It's you, the regional manager; you on the motorway; you with hundreds of miles a week to do; you with two kids to transport at the weekend; you who doesn't care about limited-slip differentials on a wet Tuesday morning. You'll be living with the Five every day.

BMW has set the car up for you. The Five is no longer a grown up 3 Series; it's a grown down Seven. It rides beautifully, with a suppleness that takes most road nuances and hides them from you. It deals with tarmac like Jack Charlton circa 1966 dealt with his alopecia: brushes over it. Of course, that's to the detriment of outright cornering feel; there's obvious weight transfer during acceleration, braking and cornering. There's still a very talented, balanced car here, it's just one that you must dig a little deeper to find and enjoy.

We discovered that over a 1,200-mile Southern France to Northern England odyssey. Not once during those two days did the Five ever get uncomfortable. Our car sat on standard springs with a standard steering rack, which has switched from hydraulic to electric assistance for economy's sake. It shows. The steering is direct but lacks positive feedback, and combined with the woollen ride it's fair to say the Five has gone a little soft. That said, the options list contains adaptive damping, which can firm things up a good whack, and 'active steering', which counter steers the rear wheels at low speeds for better manoeuvrability. Try those if the standard setup is too normal for you."
The test was conducted on French and UK roads. So, whose is the more accurate view?

Autocar UK also had this comment to make:
"As it is, the 18-inchers mated to the standard (passive and non-adjustable) suspension of our test car let sharper imperfections affect the cabin in a way that a Mercedes E-class on 17s does not."
If the reference to the 17s on the E-class was not a typo, then it would be stating the obvious that, all things being equal, a car with 18" wheels would have a worse ride than one on 17" wheels.

Further, Rich535d, who is running 18" RFTs on the standard suspension, had this to say (on another forum):
I could not disagree more with Autocar...The new runflats are wonderful. They are 45 profile instead of my previous 40, both on 18's. The ride is much more 'mature', yet holds the road well with little body roll when pushing hard. I think if you compared handling of the E60 sport with the F10, the E60 wins (but not by much), but with a much better ride on the F10.
I have always preferred firmer rides, and, in my opinion, the F10 is just about right."

"I am very happy with the balance of handling vs comfort. I am possibly the wrong side of 40 (but only just!) to worry too much about handling. I would not tolerate a car that was wallowy or not direct; the F10 on standard suspension is fine."
As I understand from Erasmus, Autoweek nl, who had tested the F10 with the VDC and without VDC (standard suspension), had no issue with the standard suspension even when running on 18" RFTs. Based on the video footage, the test roads looked like the UK B-roads (?) and certainly not billiard board smooth.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 06:49 AM   #56
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
I ordered the M Suspension (704) so it's available overhere.(Dunno about the rest of the continent, Scandinavia, France, Spain, Italy, Eastern Europe? Anybody?)
As soon as I have my car(ETA may 21st 2010) I'll write something about it.

Cheers
Robin
Robin, what prompted you to opt for the M suspension?

I am wondering if, like for the E60, the M-suspension on the M5 would ride better than the E60 on standard/sport suspension or if that was wholly due to the M5 not being on RFTs. If may be possible that the M-sport suspension would ride firmer yet better than the standard suspension since it would have been designed to accomodate bigger wheels and without the trick suspension to compensate. Does that hypothesis make sense?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #57
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I will try to summary where I stand on this thread and I think BMW has made a big mistake?

Any comments please?
I will come back later with some thinking based on trying to sort out what E60/1 cars worked best and also my experience with choosing my current E91 3-series. It may explain why we are getting conflicting reviews.

But I will say, that 19" wheels worked much better than 18" over the same roads, last Tuesday. Was exactly the opposite to what I had expected. The 18" were amplifying road imperfections and messing up the steering, the 19" worked 'with' the suspension, and had no negatives on steering.

18" were Dunlop, the 19" were Pirelli... this may give you a clue where my comments will be heading.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #58
bm323
Captain
Rep

Great summary carl_d

nfnc, what are the points mentioned by the product manager pls? Did he confirm that option 223 is available for the 535i without the anti-roll bars here in Singapore, and why the base 535i had the idrive accessing the chassis (to tighten it, I presume) although it was the base 535i without VDC or anti-roll bars? Did you choose any transmission/chassis/steering option?

Last edited by bm323; 04-17-2010 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #59
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
To add to the conumdrum...

Autocar UK also had this comment to make:
"As it is, the 18-inchers mated to the standard (passive and non-adjustable) suspension of our test car let sharper imperfections affect the cabin in a way that a Mercedes E-class on 17s does not."
Exactly what I found, but the road imperfections messed the steering as well.

Ok, so I tried the cars on the A9, out of Perth, M90 towards Edinburgh and the A91 towards Sterling and returned the same route. So had a varied set of surfaces, good dual, M-way, sweeping bends, hills, even ribbed concrete finish, plus less than ideal A road, broken and patched surfaces, all sorts of cambers and some good twisty stuff. I've used this route for all BMW test drives, as it gives a wide spread of the sort of roads I use.

The 530d (standard autobox) was running 18” wheels and Dunplop RFTs, they worked well and at first it didn’t feel like they were run-flats, ambient temperature about 10-degrees. Steering did seem a bit light, but well connected. But once on the motorway I started sensing the steering was not as precise as I’d choose, in fact over some road imperfections it seemed to go a little vague in mid position, also some vibration was coming back through the wheel, but not matching the road. “I’ve been here before”… some frequencies just don’t cancel out, but get amplified. It becomes clear the steering is not a good as I’d hoped.

Then we get on the A91, and once the surfaces go in all directions the same old run-flat feel, as on my 17” wheels (3-series 330d SE touring) comes to the for, the front wheels are fighting for the line and makes the steering feel very light and imprecise, as the car is wanting to dart about. I get my wife to also lightly touch the wheel, to feel the road vibrations and strange feedback. Which confirmed, a RFT issue, our 330d doesn’t do it anymore on normal rubber. Also I was hoping the ride would be more composed and comfortable, it is clear to me this car needs some additional suspension aids.

So for the rest of the journey, back to the garage, the impressions are now tempered with will an F10/11 work back home in winter? Will we need to have conventional tyres, etc.? My wife senses I’m really disappointed with the car.

Next we try the 535i with the sport autobox and 19" Pirelli shod RFTs.

By the first roundabout and onto the A9, we could both tell this car was so different. The ride was more composed, the steering was meaty and precise, I hadn’t even started playing with the sport settings. Once on the M90 it was clear this car was riding far superior to the 530d, push the ‘first’ sport setting and the car just became even more composed, was taking the road surface imperfections so much better. The ride was slightly more firm on the normal setting, than the first car, but so much more BMW. It thumped out the bumps and ridges without any weird feedback, the steering never had any vagueness at all. In sport setting even better, there was much more control of the way the car responded to uneven surfaces. Whatever chassis control the sport setting has, it was settling the car as well.

Now when we got on the A91 and the poor surfaces, this was a different car to the first one, no fighting for line, both on normal, sport, or sport + (that switches the DTC function on, in addition to the sport settings). The twisty stuff is taken much flatter, so surefooted and although sometimes a bit disturbed on the really bad bits, still composed. Also due to this better dynamic package, (No VDC) the car shrinks around you when you drive it. The 530d felt quite big and acted more as a larger car, the 535i with the electronic aids, felt much more ‘man and machine’ together.

As they say... "go figure", certainly has me now wondering what will any particular model be like with a 'mixture' of the different options/wheel sizes available?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #60
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Robin, what prompted you to opt for the M suspension?

I am wondering if, like for the E60, the M-suspension on the M5 would ride better than the E60 on standard/sport suspension or if that was wholly due to the M5 not being on RFTs. If may be possible that the M-sport suspension would ride firmer yet better than the standard suspension since it would have been designed to accomodate bigger wheels and without the trick suspension to compensate. Does that hypothesis make sense?
Well, I've had 2 other E90's with M Technik suspension and 18"RFT's, and my current ride is a E90 M3 on 19" so I already know what a firm ride is.

I 'love' the F10, but I also know it's MUCH more a boat than a E90. And if I wanted even more of a boat I'd buy a Citroen C6 rightaway.

So I want a 5 series with a bit of a sporty ride.More or less. I never use the EDC on my M3 so....M Technik it is.
'Too firm' doesn't exist in my vocabulary, 'too soft' does...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #61
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Now that I've posted my findings in more detail, I'll go back a bit in time.

We had an attempt to find a decent E60/1 when wanting to change from the E39 540i Touring (M-tech suspension, 17" staggered wheel set). Now I know we could debate steering precision, (rack and pinion vs. the V8 system), but I assure you, I had no issues with the 540i for either ride, handling or steering.

The first E60/1 examples I tried, 530d saloon and touring, were so jittery and weird on the road, I dismissed the cars as under developed on RFTs. We held off a bit and when the E90 came around, the talk was "set up for RFTs". So I tried several examples, not at all impressed on the refinement, (on the same route the F10's were taken on). So one last attempt at an 535d M-sport touring. The ride was so rock hard, I knew I couldn't live with it day to day. Nothing like the fluidity and composure of the E39 540i.

In the end after much deliberation and suspension and wheel size discussion, we opted for a 330d SE touring on 17" wheels and standard suspension. We took it new, into the good summer of 2006 and it did seem pretty good, a good blend of ride, handling and precise steering.

Come autumn the ride and steering precision fell apart. To cut a very long story short, the car now runs on non run-flat tyres and is on Koni FSD dampers, turned a 'Jekyll and Hyde' driving experience into a predictable and fluid drive. A much more mature BMW feel.

What I'm sensing with the F10 is, we are still not sorted, these RFTs are still going to haunt us in the latest cars. Why? The worst of the test drives, pre choosing the 330d were in winter time, so there was NO BENCHMARK for comparison. No one, at the time, was saying these tyres are temperature sensitive. My experience has shown that 10 - 12 degress is the ambient temperature where we can have a change of characteristics. Depends on journey lengths, wet/dry roads. Drop below 10 - 12 degrees and the 330d would start all the nonsense, which translates to poor driving dynamics and unpredictable ride.

What I'm wondering is... the test drives we are seeing reported, what were the ambient temperatures during these tests? We can have very skewed results, if the tyres are still the 'faulty goods' many of us believe they are, due to experience and use.

I'm almost convinced that, put a decent set of tyres on the F10 and we will make it a much better car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #62
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Next we try the 535i with the sport autobox and 19" Pirelli shod RFTs.

Now when we got on the A91 and the poor surfaces, this was a different car to the first one, no fighting for line, both on normal, sport, or sport + (that switches the DTC function on, in addition to the sport settings). The twisty stuff is taken much flatter, so surefooted and although sometimes a bit disturbed on the really bad bits, still composed. Also due to this better dynamic package, (No VDC) the car shrinks around you when you drive it. The 530d felt quite big and acted more as a larger car, the 535i with the electronic aids, felt much more ‘man and machine’ together.

As they say... "go figure", certainly has me now wondering what will any particular model be like with a 'mixture' of the different options/wheel sizes available?

HighlandPete
HighlandPete, your posts are very informative indeed.

It appears that the 535i that you tested was with 19" Pirelli RFTs, sports auto transmission and standard suspension (without VDC/adaptive suspension) - could you kindly confirm. If so, I am trying to figure out how the sports transmission with its dynamic driving control (but without the VDC) can improve the handling that much despite the introduction of the 19" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #63
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Great summary carl_d

nfnc, what are the points mentioned by the product manager pls? Did he confirm that option 223 is available for the 535i without the anti-roll bars here in Singapore, and why the base 535i had the idrive accessing the chassis (to tighten it, I presume) although it was the base 535i without VDC or anti-roll bars? Did you choose any transmission/chassis/steering option?
bm323, no I did not seek any clarification on the VDC, only on whether the sports auto transmission included the dynamic driving control (that Normal/Sport toggle) by default, without having to select another option (other than the sports steering wheel) - it does. I opted for the sports transmission/steering wheel. No VDC but may still go for the M Sports suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #64
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Well, I've had 2 other E90's with M Technik suspension and 18"RFT's, and my current ride is a E90 M3 on 19" so I already know what a firm ride is.

I 'love' the F10, but I also know it's MUCH more a boat than a E90. And if I wanted even more of a boat I'd buy a Citroen C6 rightaway.

So I want a 5 series with a bit of a sporty ride.More or less. I never use the EDC on my M3 so....M Technik it is.
'Too firm' doesn't exist in my vocabulary, 'too soft' does...

Cheers
Robin
Many thanks, Robin.

Maybe Autoweek nl did not have an issue with the standard suspension because they too like a "firm" suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #65
bm323
Captain
Rep

Thanks nfnc.

Yes, I'm also curious over nfnc's question. HighlandPete's test 535i does not appear to have VDC (as it does not have the comfort setting) but yet the idrive appears to be able to configure the chassis?

Quote:
This is where the confusion comes in. The car didn't have VDC, (no comfort setting), but changing from normal to sport completely changed the chassis control, the car didn't pitch and roll the same over the poor surfaces, as it did in normal setting. it wasn't just me as the driver who could feel the changes, my wife could as passenger.

We looked in I-drive and there were 3 setting levels. The one selected was the botton of the list, definitely had 'chassis' in the definition. I can't remember the exact list, but one was 'steering' on its own I believe.

I was of the understanding it had more than just tightening up throttle response and steering, by the way the car was responding. But the pricing list doesn't seperate Dynamic Drive (the roll bar bit), from the VDC package. You can buy VDC on its own, but the Adaptive Drive package has both.

Anyone know what is on that I-drive "Drive Dynamic Control" configuration?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #66
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
HighlandPete, your posts are very informative indeed.

It appears that the 535i that you tested was with 19" Pirelli RFTs, sports auto transmission and standard suspension (without VDC/adaptive suspension) - could you kindly confirm. If so, I am trying to figure out how the sports transmission with its dynamic driving control (but without the VDC) can improve the handling that much despite the introduction of the 19" wheels.
Because the I-Drive configuration had a 'steering and chassis' setting, which was selected, and the user manual seemed to indicate we had a chassis component, (the active roll bar bit it appeared to indicate) but no VDC, (as there wasn't a comfort setting), I assumed we had some electronic trickery, but clearly not everything. It was only when checking the options, when at home, I realised that this doesn't match up, or even seem to exist as an option.

The good news is, I'm down at the dealers again on Tuesday, for some warranty work on the 330d, So I'll have a chance to discuss this issue in detail. We'll get the build confirmed and hopefully I'll get to view the I-Drive menu again and take some pictures if I can. If it was only the basic 'Drive Dynamic Control' as added when the sport box is fitted, I'll try and find out what the chassis element is, that is shown on I-Drive.

BTW, when the button was changed, normal to sport, etc, besides the setting showing on the dash display, it displayed a chassis illustration on the Sat Nav screen for a few seconds.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0