2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Transformation After Software Update!

02-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
DNA_42
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

F10 Transformation After Software Update!

As per my other threads here I had two problems with my new F10 (combox) 520d.

First was the dealer mucked up the order and forgot to order the USB interface, thus rendering much of the combox functionality redundant.

In the end they agreed to retro-fit the USB kit when it became available at their cost (and didn't charge for the factory fit the car didn't get). I was not happy but went with it.

The second problem is that the steering was really light and wandered at above 60mph and was awful with a side wind or significant camber in the road.

The best description of this poor steering I read was like "driving in a computer game", i.e. very light with no feedback, the car never felt planted and you had to constantly make small adjustments at speed. Awful!

Well the second problem was to some extent resolved when the car went in to fix a separate problem that the car detected (under warranty) when they did a software upgrade. This was great but the steering was still light and it did not completely eradicate the problem, but it was better and so I was pleased.

Now, getting to the point of this post, I got a call to say that the USB retro-kit was now in and I should book the car in for two days.

This was the first time the dealer had fitted such a kit to a F10/combox and the fit overran to 5 days... I was a bit nervous when they kept telling me that the programming would not work and were talking to BMW technical...

Anyway, it went in Monday morning and I have just got the car back...

The iPod works fine (so the USB kit worked) BUT the car now drives COMPLETELY differently!

I am not exaggerating, I have just got in after 2 hours driving up and down the motorways and A-roads in the county and it is like a totally different car.

The brakes are sharper, the acceleration is much better, the handling is just amazing (I can't believe it, it like a sports car now - so direct, so engaging), the car is now totally "planted" - it just wasn't before, and the steering is just nothing even remotely like it was before, I mean nothing - it's like a different car, like a 535 (don't laugh), like a sports saloon rather than a boring old cruiser and the steering has feel, feedback and has weight.

Now this is obviously down to the software upgrade they did whilst fitting the kit but I cannot stress enough that it has transformed the car. I loved it before but now I just can't wait to get into it and take it out for a drive (anywhere and for no reason) in the morning.

It also seems faster (obviously isn't) but maybe the gear ratios may have changed, I don't know, but this does not feel like my car - it feels and drive just so much better.

I think BMW sent the F10 out without enough testing (happens in the software world all the time - make the punters find the bugs) and the steering issue was a SERIOUS problem for a lot of people, so they had to fix it.

But now they have.

Now I have a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA_42 View Post
Now I have a BMW.
Congrats! Glad to see they got it worked out for you.

It is important to understand the vast majority of folks are currently enjoying their F10 they way you currently are, only difference is that their F10 was delivered ready to rock and yours/others was not. I have full faith that everyones situation will be corrected but the path to correction will be different for each of us.

Pains of first year ownership but well worth it to be "the 1st"!
      02-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

DNA,

Can you give us any details on what your work order says about the Software Upgrade? Is there a part number referenced for this?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
DNA_42
Private
Rep

Software upgrade

Y'know I had got to know the manager of the dealership quite well so when I walked through the doors this evening he came up and shook my hand and said let me take you to see the car... we spent 10 minutes talking about white cables then I drove off.... I didn't have to pay anything as it was their error in the first place and so I didn't get any paperwork....

I could ask when I go in next if you like or I might be able to see a "version" somewhere on the iDrive I suppose...

It is the latest version of the iDrive software is all that I was told.... Sorry.

DNA

PS I am a bit disappointed at what the iPod looks like through the iDrive. Don't get me wrong, it is good to be able to browse via the big screen with the iDrive button, but I just expected a bit more graphic wise, maybe a bit like iTunes. It is a bit DOS like, but hey, I'm vee happy this evening with the handling improvement.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

You forgot, your rearend looked perkier when you saw your reflection in the car..

Seriously, this software upgrade sounds quite amazing.. I AM tempted to return to that most avoided of places..

But i would freak out if it were 5 days for me, anything they have to fix, i say "Ill wait" (but actually i just sneak back home)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

[QUOTE=DNA_42;8945993]Y'know I had got to know the manager of the dealership quite well so when I walked through the doors this evening he came up and shook my hand and said let me take you to see the car... we spent 10 minutes talking about white cables then I drove off.... I didn't have to pay anything as it was their error in the first place and so I didn't get any paperwork....

I could ask when I go in next if you like or I might be able to see a "version" somewhere on the iDrive I suppose...

It is the latest version of the iDrive software is all that I was told.... Sorry.

DNA

Thanks,

Sounds like you potentially got some software upgrades for the steering and engine management as well. If you did, that usually only shows up on the paperwork and is not reflected in the i-Drive software version, which is seperate. Glad they could upgrade you and it sounds like you will be ready to go for future software updgrades which will get us all a little closer to the classic iPod look and feel. It is coming, as evidenced by numerous pictures that BMW has shown. It just takes time for these upgrades to get fully developed.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Bimmer535xi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix

I have a Oct 9th 535xi build, non sport, no dynamic enhancements. I had driven some demo F10 before ordering and notice the steering felt light, much like an A6 I had driven months earlier. I just figured I would get use to it.

When my car was delivered with Goodyear Run-flats I was amazed how quiet the tires were, how they didn't seem harsh as some have complained, and how amazingly tight and centered the steering was. I was afraid after reading this forum I would have buyers remorse over trading in my E60. Not at all.

Even though I always like the somewhat understated interior of BMW, I really like the new F10 interior. We live in a large metropolitan area and I really like the look down camera.

I do however continue to romanticized over my 2002 E39. I gave some consideration to buying one in great condition with less than 100,000 mile for around $10,000 and put another $14,000 into it for shocks, springs, brakes, tires, refurbished front seats,etc and driving it for about 3 years.

Quick question, when I put car in reverse the flash headlights lights come on? Does this make sense?

Last edited by Bimmer535xi; 02-18-2011 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
DNA_42
Private
Rep

I will try to find out what they did...

I will try to speak to the dealer soon and I will ask what updates they did.

I don't want to raise anyone's hopes, particularly if they had the crap steering I had, and to be fair I had been driving my wife's Merc B-Class for five days (it's like a little go-kart), but I know MY car and I swear it has been transformed.

I spent the time driving about afterwards with a BIG grin on my face and was accelerating up and down the A12, no doubt annoying everyone else on the road, but I just could not believe the feel of the thing.

I know the BMW would bound to feel brilliant after 5 days of Mrs DNA's little go-kart, but my reaction was not (just) that, this was an improvement across the board, particularly the steering which has changed from "wrong" to "right".

Hope everyone with the steering issue gets sorted the same way, I'll also tell you how it feels tomorrow, hopefully I'll feel the same way.

DNA
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

DNA, which dealer did you go to?
      02-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
DNA_42
Private
Rep

Dealer

Sytner, Harold Wood.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #11
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

DNA thanks. That is not far from me at all.

I picked up my 535d MS a few days ago and it feels odd. The steering feels odd and I'm not getting on with the gearbox. When I kickdown there seems to be a long pause until it executes my command.

I (and others) would really appreciate it if you could find out exactly what was done ASAP.

Thank you very much
      02-19-2011, 04:36 AM   #12
335dxd
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by indus View Post
DNA thanks. That is not far from me at all.

I picked up my 535d MS a few days ago and it feels odd. The steering feels odd and I'm not getting on with the gearbox. When I kickdown there seems to be a long pause until it executes my command.

I (and others) would really appreciate it if you could find out exactly what was done ASAP.

Thank you very much
That's not good news Indus.......hopefully you can get it "re-booted"
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 04:46 AM   #13
DNA_42
Private
Rep

Odd, odd how?

Indus, when you say the steering feels odd, what do you mean, can you be more specific, there have been a variety of different steering issues with the new 5 series.

The biggest annoyance for me was (note the past tense) was the continual small adjustments needed at speed. The faster and worse the road surface the worse it got. With high winds it was bordering on dangerous to drive.

I have put a call into the dealer this morning and will ask about the software updates when they call me back.

DNA
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #14
DNA_42
Private
Rep

Post-Update DAY TWO

I think I have done about half a tank of diesel since I got the car back.

The car is the same, it is still bringing a smile to my face like it's the first time I have driven it. Amazing.

Everything about it is brilliant I can't praise it enough.

I guess the vast majority of 5 series owners will be thinking "yeah, it's like that for us all the time", I am just realising this. My car is now a good reason not to buy another Merc, which is what I thought I was getting.

The one thing I do not understand is why someone would buy a 525, 530 or 535... OK smoother, faster, but my 520 is smooth, it is fast... more than plenty. Maybe I need to test drive a 535 to see. But then again, I think I'll wait a few years until I want to change this one.

DNA
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #15
DNA_42
Private
Rep

Update

The dealer called back and said that she would check with the technical dude on Monday, when he is in next, and email me a breakdown of the software upgrade he did for me. I will post here it in case anyone would like to know.

Cheers etc.
DNA
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys.

I've taken the car for another spin today and things seem better.

1) Steering. At speed no problems at all, it is rock solid in the middle and needs no correction of any kind. It seems to feel weird at low speeds but that may just be me getting used to the IAS

2) Gearbox, again it maybe me getting used to an autobox, I haven't had a fully auto box for years. Today it seemed better as I think I'm getting used to how much I need to hit the throttle to get it to do what I want.

I'll be taking it across town today so that will give me a bit more time to get used to things.

Thanks
      02-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #17
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
The dealer called back and said that she would check with the technical dude on Monday, when he is in next, and email me a breakdown of the software upgrade he did for me. I will post here it in case anyone would like to know.

Cheers etc.
DNA
I too would be very interested to know more about your software update, particularly in respect of the steering fix - thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #18
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
I think I have done about half a tank of diesel since I got the car back.

The car is the same, it is still bringing a smile to my face like it's the first time I have driven it. Amazing.

Everything about it is brilliant I can't praise it enough.

I guess the vast majority of 5 series owners will be thinking "yeah, it's like that for us all the time", I am just realising this. My car is now a good reason not to buy another Merc, which is what I thought I was getting.

The one thing I do not understand is why someone would buy a 525, 530 or 535... OK smoother, faster, but my 520 is smooth, it is fast... more than plenty. Maybe I need to test drive a 535 to see. But then again, I think I'll wait a few years until I want to change this one.

DNA
I can see you are happy now, I have been since mine arrived (15th Jan 2011) I must have had the latest software in the car from new, but it really is no problem at all. Best of luck but it should now be great
      02-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #19
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by indus View Post
Thanks guys.

I've taken the car for another spin today and things seem better.

1) Steering. At speed no problems at all, it is rock solid in the middle and needs no correction of any kind. It seems to feel weird at low speeds but that may just be me getting used to the IAS

2) Gearbox, again it maybe me getting used to an autobox, I haven't had a fully auto box for years. Today it seemed better as I think I'm getting used to how much I need to hit the throttle to get it to do what I want.

I'll be taking it across town today so that will give me a bit more time to get used to things.

Thanks
Your car will learn your driving style and get better after a few miles, mine changes down gears much quicker now, it seems to know I use the gears to slow the car, who knows really great car though.
      02-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #20
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

Cheers etc.
DNA
Don't mean to be a nag DNA, but did the dealer get back to you with the software details?

Last edited by Jon D; 02-22-2011 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #21
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

in idrive any chance you can post a pic or note down what your now showing as current software version, from memory this is under the vehicle settings menu
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #22
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
in idrive any chance you can post a pic or note down what your now showing as current software version, from memory this is under the vehicle settings menu
Interesting, I just went into settings/software version and only noted two - one for multimedia and the other for telephone.
I'd be interested to know what yours displays and anything else you can find out.
Appreciate 0