2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Aupeo! New app worth a try !

05-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
VodkaOne
Private
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d xDrive F11 '12

Smile Aupeo! New app worth a try !

Hi all,

For those of us European, I thought this first (and new) 3rd party iPhone app would be worth a new thread. I discovered this app from this screenshot of the up-to-come 2013 CIC upgrades:

The app is a Pandora like for Europe. I got it installed yesterday and tried to get it working this morning. Once I strated the app, it showed a progress bar and got connected to the car. And from what I've seen today, it works just fine. You don't need to use the Connected Drive app.

I'm happy with this new app. Finally things move forward...

But I thought: How is this it that we're not informed / notified when a new app comes out ? For sure, if there was a "connected drive" mailing list somewhere, I'd definetly subscribe to it.

Any clue ?

V1.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
paulbazo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by VodkaOne View Post
Hi all,

For those of us European, I thought this first (and new) 3rd party iPhone app would be worth a new thread. I discovered this app from this screenshot of the up-to-come 2013 CIC upgrades:

The app is a Pandora like for Europe. I got it installed yesterday and tried to get it working this morning. Once I strated the app, it showed a progress bar and got connected to the car. And from what I've seen today, it works just fine. You don't need to use the Connected Drive app.

I'm happy with this new app. Finally things move forward...

But I thought: How is this it that we're not informed / notified when a new app comes out ? For sure, if there was a "connected drive" mailing list somewhere, I'd definetly subscribe to it.

Any clue ?

V1.
you were streaming or connected with the iphone cable?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Thanks - Nice find - I'll give it a try later in the car. Just tried it on the iPad and looks good

Did find this about it:-

http://www.automotiveit.com/with-aup...news/id-005122

If only BMW would release the API to the wider developers we would surely see a lot of useful apps coming.

And what happened to the Android Apps !!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
BDV
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F11 525D

Thumbs up

nice find indeed! Works like a charm...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
7woodman7
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Im using it since about 2 months. Getting informed thru a german forum and there was a bmw press published also. Works fine!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskdale View Post

And what happened to the Android Apps !!
My thought exactly when I read the intial post. Well, there is an Android App. It just does not work with my HTC Sensation XE for some reason. I cannot download it as it says it is not compatible. By the way, you will not find the app in the android market. Try Appbrain or Amazon store. It is free, it might work in your phone!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
blueridger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
Works in the US, too! I love the BMW Apps integration and agree with earlier posts about BMW opening API to other developers to help build out the ecosystem.
      05-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
VodkaOne
Private
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbazo View Post
you were streaming or connected with the iphone cable?
Hey Paul,

Just connected the iPhone cable to the car USB plug in the armrest and launched the AUPEO! App.

Looks like with registering ang giving a few personal informations, you get a few days of full access to the service. Still some radios for example POP plays quite old songs (from last 2 or 3 years) which makes it a bit hard to enjoy. But some other stations are ok to listen too. What's pleasant is that you can easily switch from one style of music to another.

Premium Upgrade (49,95 bucks a year) gives a better sound quality (192kbits/s) which is certainly much valuable considering the poor quality / distortion you can hear whith the basic limited account. (That's surely 128kbits/s maybe less).

V1.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Quote:
gives a better sound quality (192kbits/s) which is certainly much valuable considering the poor quality / distortion you can hear whith the basic limited account. (That's surely 128kbits/s maybe less).
I would think listening to it that its less than 64k bits/s but that does have an advantage on the data usage and its performance in poorer reception area's . 192k bits/s would sound great but unless you have a good 3G signal at all times it is going to stop playing.

Have been quite impressed over the last couple of days of playing it how it handled the constant switching between 2G and 3G. Many times there was no break in the audio as it managed to buffer enough data. Seems to depend upon what the signal is like when the song changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
VodkaOne
Private
France
Rep

You're right eskdale. 192kbit/s is too much for 3G (also consuming too much data) but it seems that Aupeo! is using MP3 compression and 192kbit/s is to me the low limit for good sound quality with MP3.

Also there is some 64kbit/s streaming that gives also a great sound but I guess it's encoded with a different algorithm than MP3, which I don't remeber.
Looks like they didn't choose that one.

[Edit : It's AAC encoding. 64kbit/s AAC is said to equal 128kbit/s MP3. From my experience, 64kbit/s AAC imposes less sound distortion than 128kbit/s MP3.]
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
JohnnyF10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: f10 528i xDrive, e93 M3

How did you get the Aupeo logo in your Radio

I have purchased the premium version and download the app from the apps strore but when my iphone is in my cradle, the only way to get the music on my car is by manually accessing it on my iphone.

Once the music is started, I get the album artwork and the song detail but I can only change song from my iphone and not trough the radio control or steering control
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #12
BDV
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F11 525D

oh,
1. did you order the Apps-option when ordering your car?
2. what cradle do you have? The Media cradle works fine for me.
2.1 Have you tried the alternative solution with using the Apple usb cable in combination with the center console usb port.

I hope one of these help...
Appreciate 0