2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rear side-impact air bags

05-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
kutsyy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Rear side-impact air bags

From my understanding, 550i doesn't have rear side-impact air bags (one that is usually goes in the door or the side of the seat, not the curtain). I find this very surprising, can someone please confirm?

Thanks,

Vadim
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

thats correct

i hink there is a difrference between US market cards and at least those the the UK, I think the US you also get kneebags. We don't have those in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
kutsyy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
thats correct

i hink there is a difrference between US market cards and at least those the the UK, I think the US you also get kneebags. We don't have those in the UK.
Yep, there is a kneebag for front driver/passenger. Does anyone know (or want to guess) why BMW decided to drop rear seat torso airbag?

Thanks,

Vadim
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The rear door airbags were dropped from most models because the new structural designs eliminated their need.

They were also very dangerous with kids and animals and also people not sitting in their rear seat properly.
      05-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
kutsyy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
The rear door airbags were dropped from most models because the new structural designs eliminated their need.
I was hopping that there is a logical explanation, but could you elaborate more on that design? Why did it eliminate need for the rear but not front airbag? Why say Mercedes, Audi and Porsche are unable/unwilling to create similar designs?

Quote:
They were also very dangerous with kids and animals and also people not sitting in their rear seat properly.
Sound exactly as "seat belts kill" of 80's and "front airbags kill" of 90's . Here are a few more recent links for you to read:
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com..._Need_to_Know/
http://www.jdpower.com/content/detai...aArticleId=224

I hope that you've never seen airbags in action and wish that you will never see it, but I can tell you that side airbags are small, so I personally don't see them as a threat.

Vadim
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
valcor535
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535I X-Drive

Does all F10 has Knee airbags?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valcor535 View Post
Does all F10 has Knee airbags?
Only North American model BMW's have knee airbags
      05-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutsyy View Post
I was hopping that there is a logical explanation, but could you elaborate more on that design? Why did it eliminate need for the rear but not front airbag? Why say Mercedes, Audi and Porsche are unable/unwilling to create similar designs?

Sound exactly as "seat belts kill" of 80's and "front airbags kill" of 90's . Here are a few more recent links for you to read:
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com..._Need_to_Know/
http://www.jdpower.com/content/detai...aArticleId=224

I hope that you've never seen airbags in action and wish that you will never see it, but I can tell you that side airbags are small, so I personally don't see them as a threat.

Vadim
I have seen multiple airbag deployments, both those we did in labs and ones in real accidents.

The danger with rear airbags are where people let children or animals lean or sleep against the rear door.
Our BMW's here that were fitted with rear airbags came both with warning cards and stickers advising kids and animals be kept away far from the rear airbags. BMW even advised having them deactivated should many children be carried often.

With the E90 onwards rear door airbags were eliminated because the shape and design of the rear bench and shape of the rear section of the head airbag made them unnecessary and eliminated their risk.

The front ones are still needed but were relocated to the seats instead of the doors.
      05-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E36, 997

Quote:
I have seen multiple airbag deployments, both those we did in labs and ones in real accidents.

The danger with rear airbags are where people let children or animals lean or sleep against the rear door.
Our BMW's here that were fitted with rear airbags came both with warning cards and stickers advising kids and animals be kept away far from the rear airbags. BMW even advised having them deactivated should many children be carried often.

With the E90 onwards rear door airbags were eliminated because the shape and design of the rear bench and shape of the rear section of the head airbag made them unnecessary and eliminated their risk.

The front ones are still needed but were relocated to the seats instead of the doors.
Interesting read. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
kutsyy
Rep

Quote:

Looking at the photos of deployed curtains: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.a...7&seriesId=459 and http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.a...1&seriesId=459 I do see that curtain is much lower then it used to be before, but I still think that is it be pretty high. I also see no difference between seat design, could you please elaborate little bit more?

Thanks,

Vadim

PS: I really like 5 series, and for me this is a very big disappointment and a show stopper, so I would love to be convinced that rear seat of 5 series will be safe for my kids...
Appreciate 0