2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Internet Cannot be Retrofitted

05-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
GestapoWatch
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport, Alpinweiss

Angry Internet Cannot be Retrofitted

Rang Customer services (UK) yesterday and they say the internet option cannot be retrofitted (retroenabled!?) if the car wasn't built with that option

Being a geek I'm having a hard time believing this as it must surely be software driven, with the only additional hardware being a tethered phone
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Wow that's rough, glad I changed my spec now but like you I can only imagine it's software..
      05-27-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Keep an eye on dvdinmotion.com over the next few weeks, you may find they will offer this as a software mod as well as the DVD/TV in motion.

There are some other threads on this board (and others) on related subjects and this company seem to do a good job !

M
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
maxmm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535d GT

It is (100%, i know what i'm talking about) pure software feature.

In fact, it is even possible to retrofit CIC + combox to the 5 years old BMW's and to use internet (and everything else)...

All post november 2010 cars are 100% ready (the only thing is required to update to the latest (41 currently) CIC software version).

Moreover, i've got 'internet' option enabled in the menu (it is possible to do quite easily), but i'm seeing an error 'internet is not available in this country' which either means the whole UK is still not 'enabled' on the BMW servers or my car VIN is not allowed to use the internet service (it is working through the BMW optimising / compressing proxy servers)

It is highly disappointing decision of the BMW, and may be we should fight together against that.

In case they are claiming that something should be built-in additionally - BMW is simply lying to you, once againg - there is NOTHING to install additionally (you've got everything installed - combox, CIC2, etc)

In case you've got no 'connected drive' services ordered / enabled (BMW assist) - it is possible to set different VIN in the combox and (magically) you'll be able to use your smartphone (iphone4 for example) as modem for car browser, but in case of connected services enabled - it is very bad idea to change the VIN as it will broke all services...

I'm going to work together with dvdinmotion guys to enable this option as it is highly requested in the UK (and i'm able to read Russian - this topic is highly covered in the Russian forums ) )

For example, here:

http://bmwtools.info/viewtopic.php?f...1088&start=250
http://imglink.ru/pictures/16-05-11/...6228b56ca3.jpg

You could use google translate to read it in case not trusting me ...
BTW, in Russia (officially!) no any online services provided by BMW at all. But virtually everyone is using it already, which is 100% proof that BMW is lying.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
GestapoWatch
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport, Alpinweiss

Cheers shapa - I agree that BMW (UK) appear to have told porkies with regard having this option enabled.

Any help I can offer please let me know
Appreciate 0