2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Drove a s5 today

04-09-2015, 11:46 PM   #1
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Smile Drove a s5 today

Hello all,

A month away from lease end and the time is near to make that decision. Will be saying good bye to my '13 535i M sport and maybe considering to jump into an Audi next. SO I saw the S5 at the dealership and test drove one. Some of the things I noticed were some things such as.

Audi shifted gears very easily and quickly from one into the next. Being a Quattro, it handles curvy roads really well. When I stomped on the brakes hard, I didn't go slamming my face in the windshield as Audi applies brakes to all 4 wheels at the same time, according to the dealer. It looks super nice as Audi is well known and recognized for their interior and exterior design. The car is perfect for the Northeast. I guess this commercial kind of sums up what I mean by that.

However if I do move, the only thing I will miss is the BMW community.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:56 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavariaExclusive View Post
........ When I stomped on the brakes hard, I didn't go slamming my face in the windshield as Audi applies brakes to all 4 wheels at the same time, according to the dealer......
Ummm.... All cars apply the brakes to all 4 wheels at the same time......
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 05:18 AM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc
Quote:
........ When I stomped on the brakes hard, I didn't go slamming my face in the windshield as Audi applies brakes to all 4 wheels at the same time, according to the dealer......
Ummm.... All cars apply the brakes to all 4 wheels at the same time......
Agreed.

OP, the only thing that proves is that bmw brakes are better.

The brakes stop the car. The brakes don't stop you.

That's why when you have a car accident there are really two crashes. The first crash takes place when your car collides with the object (like another car or brick wall). The second crash occurs when your human body, previously cruising at speed, slams into the interior of your car.

Always wear your safety belt! Seatbelts dissipate the forces on the second crash.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 05:39 AM   #4
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Engineering wise BM are far more balanced and advanced, the engine on Audi’s are mounted in front or more to the front of the front axle, BM always behind the front axle with the gear box in line behind the engine, hence the M3 are never beaten on track by RS5 due to the massive under steer of Audis.
Other parts that put me off with Audis are the timing belt instead of chains like Merc and BM’s, when on the quarto BM learned from the time they owned Range Rovers, they simply far more advanced, for example the ratio of power between front and back on X drive cars goes as fare as pushing up to 80% if not more to the back, Audi’s quarto is less flexible.

But away from all the tech not bad cars, if you like the look and all, I guess your hearts is an Audi go for it life is too short!

Last edited by martin mustang; 04-10-2015 at 05:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Hello all,
A month away from lease end and the time is near to make that decision. Will be saying good bye to my '13 535i M sport and maybe considering to jump into an Audi next. SO I saw the S5 at the dealership and test drove one. Some of the things I noticed were some things such as.

Audi shifted gears very easily and quickly from one into the next. Being a Quattro, it handles curvy roads really well. When I stomped on the brakes hard, I didn't go slamming my face in the windshield as Audi applies brakes to all 4 wheels at the same time, according to the dealer. It looks super nice as Audi is well known and recognized for their interior and exterior design. The car is perfect for the Northeast. I guess this commercial kind of sums up what I mean by that.
However if I do move, the only thing I will miss is the BMW community.
The S5 is based off the A4 platform, not really a direct competition to the F10. I had 4 Audi before I made the jump to BMW, they are very nice cars especially the S models. The earlier F10 did have the herky jerky transmission, but the software that was release recently took care of that. The brakes will be better on the S5, simply because its a performance model, not the way it is applied. Interior wise, its very subjective, I think BMW's interior is better quality while Audi's interior looks more modern. As far as the AWD is concerned, the Quattro is no better than the Xdrive in the winter, the problem with the S5 is that it will come with summer tires, even if you have Quattro, you will still need winter tires. Audiworld has a pretty active community as well, you should check them out.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #6
camnhoj
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 520d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Engineering wise BM are far more balanced and advanced, the engine on Audi’s are mounted in front or more to the front of the front axle, BM always behind the front axle with the gear box in line behind the engine, hence the M3 are never beaten on track by RS5 due to the massive under steer of Audis.
Other parts that put me off with Audis are the timing belt instead of chains like Merc and BM’s, when on the quarto BM learned from the time they owned Range Rovers, they simply far more advanced, for example the ratio of power between front and back on X drive cars goes as fare as pushing up to 80% if not more to the back, Audi’s quarto is less flexible.

But away from all the tech not bad cars, if you like the look and all, I guess your hearts is an Audi go for it life is too short!

Pity bmw timing chains are made of chocolate though marty
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

The 2015 Audi S5's 3.0T engine use a timing chain, not belt. That Audi 3.0T engine is a gem, I prefer it over the N55.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

The BMW vs Audi argument is always overblown by those with emotional attachment to one or the other, IMO. I've had several of each and love both. While they both do certain things slightly better than the other, they are very, very similar cars overall, and that's no accident. I love going back and forth because it allows me some variety without sacrificing the core driving experience I want. Dabbled with MB once and lost that and hated it, couldn't wait to get back into a BMW or Audi.

I have a 335 now and had an S5 that I traded in when we had kids and I thought I needed a 4 door. I regret that to this day, especially since now the S5 really isn't practical for me. But I could have kept it for the first couple years when there was no pre school etc... My next will likely be a 535 or A6 3.0T.

If a coupe meets your needs, I say go for the S5. As much as I love my more practical 335, I miss my S5 and it's been 5 years since I got rid of it. I even tried to find it to buy it back, but some a-hole let it get flood damage and I found it at the auction with a salvage title. Looked as good as ever, timeless design and not a scratch on it. But it had flood damage so I'm sure plenty of electrical gremlins for the rest of its life. My poor car, built for me and I abandoned her lol
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #9
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men
The 2015 Audi S5's 3.0T engine use a timing chain, not belt. That Audi 3.0T engine is a gem, I prefer it over the N55.
+1. Both very good engines that won't disappoint.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

My input into this would be that the S5 is based upon a very old chassis design as it is based on the current A4 which has been around a while... Guys I know who have had A5 based cars have not been very complimentary about the handling, however they have gone from direct rivals such as a 3 Series Coupe.

Other than that I agree that the rest is down to personal preference as they are both similar products. Personally tried test driving an A7 and a CLS before I went for the 5 Series, although there were elements of both these cars that I preferred to the 5 there is just something about the whole BMW package that gets me every time.
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #11
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

I had a bunch of Audi S-cars before going bmw. Granted they were older design, I prefer bmw handling over Audi. The new 3.0t engine with the dsg is a wild new world and put Audi back on the map imo. You can go wrong with the new S5
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #12
itwasntme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

I came from the opposite route and replaced an 2010 S5 with a 2011 550 M-sport. Two things I miss most about the S5 are the sound and having a manual trans. The sound of the Audi V8 and the exhaust (stock) was fantastic. Stroll that car through a parking structure and be amazed.

Comparing car to car, I prefer my F10 but I am not sure if its just because its something "new." And while Quattro was amazing in less than perfect conditions, I still prefer the steering of the F10. As soon I find a way to get a little more sound from my N63, I can easily forget about my S5.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #13
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Audi pumps fake exhaust sounds from Bang and Olufsen. That is the reason maybe why? But I think the quad exhaust pipes in the back of S4 with the amount of torque and HP it provides is making it look the beast its really not.
On the other hand when you get quad exhausts with BMW. You bet it is what it stands for.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #14
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

BMW needs to work on the sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #15
itwasntme
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Audi pumps fake exhaust sounds from Bang and Olufsen. That is the reason maybe why? But I think the quad exhaust pipes in the back of S4 with the amount of torque and HP it provides is making it look the beast its really not.
On the other hand when you get quad exhausts with BMW. You bet it is what it stands for.
This may have started in 2013 when Audi transitioned the S5's powerplant from a 4.2 V8 to a 3.0 V6 Supercharged. HP and torque numbers were nearly identical for either motor but the V8 had much better sound both in and out of the car. Of course this is purely a matter of personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #16
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme
Quote:
This may have started in 2013 when Audi transitioned the S5's powerplant from a 4.2 V8 to a 3.0 V6 Supercharged. HP and torque numbers were nearly identical for either motor but the V8 had much better sound both in and out of the car. Of course this is purely a matter of personal preference.
I miss that V8 man. I miss the car, but that 4.2 most of all...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 06:30 AM   #17
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Title should read that you drove an s5 today

They are definitely nice cars but dont do much for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #18
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I miss that V8 man. I miss the car, but that 4.2 most of all...
Go drive that 3.0T engine, its a gem, much better torque curve than the 4.2.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #19
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Go drive that 3.0T engine, its a gem, much better torque curve than the 4.2.
I did test drive the S4 with that engine when I traded in the S5. If I recall, that was when that engine first came out (2010 S4). Loved that engine too, but miss the sound of the 4.2.. I am looking at a 535 or A6 as my next car. A6 would definitely have that 3.0T. May give the new S4 a look too but I want a little more size at this point.

Last edited by chrisny; 04-17-2015 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:08 PM   #20
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I did test drive the S4 with that engine when I traded in the S5. If I recall, that was when that engine first came out (2010 S4). Loved that engine too, but miss the sound of the 4.2.. I am looking at a 535 or A6 as my next car. A6 would definitely have that 3.0T. May give the new S4 a look too but I want a little more size at this point.
The exhaust note can be fix with a sport exhaust. The A6's 3.0T engine is a detune version of the S4's engine, but it is still a tad quicker than the N55.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #21
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The exhaust note can be fix with a sport exhaust. The A6's 3.0T engine is a detune version of the S4's engine, but it is still a tad quicker than the N55.
I'm not really much for those exhausts. I'm sure some do a great job, but to me, nothing makes a 6 sounds as good as an 8.. It's like comparing a Japanese motorcycle to a Harley, you can make it as loud as a Harley, but it doesn't sound nearly as good. I don't need or want a loud car, it's just that tight growl of a V8 I miss, a little.

I almost never have the opportunity to take advantage of the power in my 335, so even a detuned 3.0T in the A6 or the N55 in the heavier (than my 335) 535 will be plenty for 99% of the driving I can actually do around here… I used to get so frustrated in the S5 for that exact reason. I would punch it to hear the engine growl, then have to slow down 2 seconds later lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #22
itwasntme
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have a friend with an S5 3.0T with a Milltek exhaust system and it does sound nice. Also, as mentioned the torque curve did feel better, and i am sure engine placement and less weight from the powerplant probably helped reduce the understeer. Like anything else, pros and cons to everything.

To the OP, good luck with your new purchase...exciting times!
Appreciate 0