2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Debadging

03-26-2011, 04:31 AM   #89
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster View Post
So how did you get the badge off? Let me guess, NOT with a screwdriver ! My dad wants to debadge his car. Not sure how to lever the thing off.... Personally I will be happy to leave the 520 badge on mine - proud to be eco-friendly ! However, I take the point that the badges on these motors does clutter the look up a little bit.

Cheers, Steve
Gently warm the area with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive, then twist/pull them off. Any residue is easily removed with isopropyl alcohol or vodka, then polish - job done.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #90
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

Cheers, Steve[/QUOTE]
Gently warm the area with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive, then twist/pull them off. Any residue is easily removed with isopropyl alcohol or vodka, then polish - job done.[/QUOTE]

Make sure it's cheap vodka. Don't waste the good stuff.....

PS. If anyone debadges a 550 please can they send it to me to put on my 520 it will help to relieve my shame...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #91
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

[QUOTE=andyk500]

Make sure it's cheap vodka. Don't waste the good stuff.....

/QUOTE]

In the interest of keeping the banter going......... i would like to add that if you got a 520d of course it's cheap vodka you cheapskates, don't try and pretend you've got smirnoff in the cupboard for a special occasion ad we won't believe you if you say you took the label off because the bottle has cleaner lines that way

I think the question we really need to ask is how the heck are these 520d owners even posting? Surely they are too cheap to have an internet connection? or maybe they live in a road with lots of unprotected wireless networks.....yes that must be it.

Right off to rake the winter moss from the lawn with my new electric rake......we big engine drivers live life in the fast lane don't you know.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #92
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Northernmonkey

Just finished washing the kids clothes down the local stream, hung them out to dry and now popped down to McDonalds for lunch (thank god for the free wifi or I wouldn't be able to post this) then back home to re-polish my 520d.

PS when you've finished cutting your grass don't forget to clean your moat out before the warm weather starts the algae growing.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #93
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

The people who make a big fuss about being "cheap" for debadging are usually the ones who have:

-Little to no understanding of a financial future -- in this instance, material goods symbolize their lack of long-term financial structure.

-Likely spent most of their income on their cars, and are therefore more likely to feel that they need to "guard" their particular purchase. They feel more "exclusive" because most of their liquid assets are poured into a car. Most people with more than enough money to purchase a 550i aren't usually the ones whining about what others do with "lesser" model cars.

-Feel more of a sense of self-importance around others solely based on material goods -- but they secretly have a sense of inferiority that they're trying to hide and are therefore more likely to attack or belittle others. They tend to be narcissistic. Many enthusiasts will debadge -- enthusiasts will know what kind of BMW is driving around by looking at the body type/exhaust... many other people who likely are not enthusiasts are less likely to debadge.. so it's all moot in some respects because we, as enthusiasts, know what's really driving around.

-Probably do not own the vehicle outright -- it's on loan from a bank or leased, but shhh, that's their little secret

With that said, I just ran out of my last quarter at the internet cafe, so I have to go soon!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #94
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh well I've decided to bow to peer presure and put my badge back on my car... bang goes those clean lines but at least i've released my inner guilt.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #95
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk500 View Post
Northernmonkey

Just finished washing the kids clothes down the local stream, hung them out to dry and now popped down to McDonalds for lunch (thank god for the free wifi or I wouldn't be able to post this) then back home to re-polish my 520d.

PS when you've finished cutting your grass don't forget to clean your moat out before the warm weather starts the algae growing.

As my dad used to say when I was younger......

"BMW on the drive; no food in the fridge"

Ps think we've gone way off topic last few pages but it's refreshing to see a forum with a sense of humour. Long may it continue.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #96
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Yes, the humor is awesome. I think comments that someone who drives a 550 is a financial mess is pretty stupid. Surely, there are many who feel the same as a 520d purchaser, goodnite 45k pounds!!!! There are excellent economic cars for half the price. Stop trying to defend yourself against people who drive bigger or better, etc. There is always bigger and better! I was on the A6 in the 528i loaner about an hour ago and got my doors blown off by a Ferrari, what a financial moron he was. If I bought a 520d I would embrace the mpg because thats what you buy a 520d for, I on the other hand am not going to sit here and throw all sorts of snide comments about the 520d buyer, I understand why one buys one. At the same time, just because you feel the need to defend your purchase dont categorically call all 535/550 owners train wrecks.

Btw, paying off a car in cash is not really that smart, with interest rates so low, your money could work harder for you in other options.

Keep the humor going, couple of these posts were a great chuckle for the wife and I although I am afraid because I am a financial moron for buying a 550 my internet is going to be shut off tonight due to lack of payment, til next time!

ps. Can you spare a dime brother?
      03-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #97
SpawneyGet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post

Btw, paying off a car in cash is not really that smart, with interest rates so low, your money could work harder for you in other options.

ps. Can you spare a dime brother?
With interest rate so LOW and inflation so high, your money HAS to work very very hard (in often higher risk conditions) to justify not spending it IF you have it.

That's why policy makers lower interest rates: to encourage spending rather than saving.

Besides, if one has a healthy portfolio, like a third in cash, a third in investments, a third in real estates, one doesn't bother with finances on buying a 550/535s privately. It's not worth the effort.

Have a dollar. I don't have anything smaller.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #98
SpawneyGet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk500 View Post
Oh well I've decided to bow to peer presure and put my badge back on my car... bang goes those clean lines but at least i've released my inner guilt.
That's a poor effort. Go and buy a 550 badge from a dealer. Or nick one.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #99
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawneyGet View Post
With interest rate so LOW and inflation so high, your money HAS to work very very hard (in often higher risk conditions) to justify not spending it IF you have it.

That's why policy makers lower interest rates: to encourage spending rather than saving.

Besides, if one has a healthy portfolio, like a third in cash, a third in investments, a third in real estates, one doesn't bother with finances on buying a 550/535s privately. It's not worth the effort.

Have a dollar. I don't have anything smaller.
Oy ve, not the forum for this so I will say your right.
      03-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #100
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

Hopefully I didn't strike any nerves with my sweeping generalizations and judgmental tone!

The childish notion that "debadgers = poor/posers" is simply ridiculous, especially given that most of us are "only" driving a 5-series (hardly bragging rights for US folks in my opinion). Does that make folks who drive the 1 series poor posers, or in some other social standing as a 5 series owner?

I'd think anyone else would extend the common courtesy to other enthusiasts by refraining from such generalized nonsense, but alas there are folks on this forum who must feel special or self-important.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #101
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
Im not only a fruitcake (having a touring), but also a mofo and cheapo debadging my 520d and 330xi. Im really learning alot about myself on this forum :-)
They say the world is but a mirror to the soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchlauCow View Post
Hopefully I didn't strike any nerves with my sweeping generalizations and judgmental tone!

The childish notion that "debadgers = poor/posers" is simply ridiculous, especially given that most of us are "only" driving a 5-series (hardly bragging rights for US folks in my opinion). Does that make folks who drive the 1 series poor posers, or in some other social standing as a 5 series owner?

I'd think anyone else would extend the common courtesy to other enthusiasts by refraining from such generalized nonsense, but alas there are folks on this forum who must feel special or self-important.
The lower classes pretend to be middle class, the middle class aspire to the upper classes.. and the ones at the top want to kill themselves.
Anyone who acts like they don't care is just convincing.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #102
Goodchip
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sport, Exec, Tech

Always interesting to go five pages deep into a thread to see how little relevance the posts have to the original topic.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #103
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

100% relevant -the original topic is "Why do ppl debadge"

so we are trying to explain this phenomenon, unless you're not interested and just want somebody to tell you either debadge, or don't

yeah this has really gone 360 degrees cuz it's right where its supposed to be
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #104
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

I wont quote but simply say, +1 Grimlock.
      03-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #105
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

I think we need to accept that in some cultures the badge is very important. First of all, you need to have a Mercedes or a BMW. You would rather have a E38 from the 90s than a new Volvo. Then, once onboard the BMW or Mercedes ladder, you must climb it as high as you can. You must also have big leather sofas and a really big television set.

In Europe I would say it is very much a eastern vs western thing, and the difference in culture between Swedes and say immigrants from eastern Europe is very clear. I'd say most new cars sold today are debadged in Sweden. No right, no wrong. Just different, and I'm sure you could write an essay on the subject.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #106
SpawneyGet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

There were a few different reasons given by those who debadge;

1. Ashamed with small engine (mostly 520d)
2. Like the cleanliness (regardless of engine size)
3. Like the anonymity (regardless of engine size)
* Does sound like penis size. lol*

However, some guys here continues to generalise all those who debadge into 1. Is it because they feel they have accumulated enough experience and wisdom in their lives that they know it all already and those who claim to do it for any other reasons are lying or confused?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #107
Kayman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i X M-Sport

You forgot 'forced debadging' by those b@ggers who want to upsize theirs in outward appearance superficially by pinching from someone who has a bigger one! Shame...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #108
Grizzles
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M

I always thought that the car was in an accident and the shop never put the emblems back on.

Looks like damaged goods.

Also debadging seems like someone is spending too much time screwing around eith their car.

I would be afraid to buy a debadged car. I would buy a used car with the badge before one without one, would you??
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #109
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzles View Post
I always thought that the car was in an accident and the shop never put the emblems back on.

Looks like damaged goods.

Also debadging seems like someone is spending too much time screwing around eith their car.

I would be afraid to buy a debadged car. I would buy a used car with the badge before one without one, would you??
Even if it was a factory option?

I think that in a few years, at least in Europe, you will have to specify the badge as an option.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #110
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
* Does sound like penis size. lol*
Haha I have heard some funny analogies of the debadging vs. towel in the locker room theory. Wont stir that up though.

Quote:
However, some guys here continues to generalise all those who debadge into 1. Is it because they feel they have accumulated enough experience and wisdom in their lives that they know it all already and those who claim to do it for any other reasons are lying or confused?
For me, people should be comfortable in their purchases. If I bought a 520d (instead of a bigger engine option with all the gizmos) then it would be because I value more then anything else efficiency. I think thats a good thing, currently I am looking for a diesel as a daily driver to offset my 550. My point is, dont try and turn your car into a mysterious woah is it a 520 or a 550 thing, just be comfortable in your buying decision. I see lots of efficient engine purchases try and mod their car to look fast and debadge, why?

In the end I do think its an awful lot of energy spent to disguise, never would cross my mind regardless of the penis size, er, engine size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
I think that in a few years, at least in Europe, you will have to specify the badge as an option.
I dont know, although I agree anonymity is highly valued here in Europe I still see far too many on the road with badges. I think most people its not even on their minds to debadge, just a select few OCD'ers like us who spend time each day on these BMW forums!