2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Replica Diffusers for M5 Mufflers - will it fit?

03-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Replica Diffusers for M5 Mufflers - will it fit?

I currently have an OEM M5 diffuser along with M5 mufflers on my 535i. I've been thinking more and more about going with a more aggressive diffuser on the rear, perhaps even carbon fiber. That being said, if I were to get a replica aftermarket diffuser, should I be looking at diffusers made specifically for an M5 to accommodate the mufflers? Will I still be screwed considering the fact that the M5 mufflers sit a tad more inward than standard?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

You need an M5 diffuser but that doesn't necassarily mean it will fit. Are you running the full M5 exhaust? If you're just running the mufflers, the exhaust shop may have had to modify the hangers to get the muffler to sit right with the OEM M5 diffuser. It should bolt right up, but be prepared for possible clearance issues depending if your muffler guy had to make your mufflers 'work'
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVSRFR View Post
You need an M5 diffuser but that doesn't necassarily mean it will fit. Are you running the full M5 exhaust? If you're just running the mufflers, the exhaust shop may have had to modify the hangers to get the muffler to sit right with the OEM M5 diffuser. It should bolt right up, but be prepared for possible clearance issues depending if your muffler guy had to make your mufflers 'work'
Not a full M5 exhaust, just axle back. I'm trying to avoid the extra cost of going into the exhaust shop and having the hangers played with but I guess that's just something I'll have to risk if I move forward with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

from what you wrote your exhaust was probably modified to fit the M5 diffuser since it does need to sit more inward. that being said as long as you order any aggressive carbon fiber diffuser for an M5 than you should be fine. but than again when it comes to aftermarket i've seen where someone ordered the same diffuser from the same for example ebay seller and they received something different (batch)

like you i also have a 535i and decided because i'm going for more of the aggressive look i opted for the Carbon Fiber DTM diffuser to go the aggressive sounds of my Meisterschaft's.

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 03-02-2017 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

What I'm saying is the 535i mufflers are a different angle from the M5 mufflers. Unless your muffler shop went above and beyond and fabricated pipes to fit the angle of the M5 mufflers from your stock system utilizing the M5 mufflers OEM hanger position. But most exhaust shops just modify the hangers so they don't have to fabricate too much. So, there's a chance your mufflers do not sit in the exact position that an M5's would be. If your muffler guy utilized the OEM hangers, you should be fine.

When I first installed my Carbon DTM Diffuser, I had to move my M5 mufflers because my 550 mufflers were a different angle from the M5 mufflers so my exhaust guy made them work to the OEM M5 Diffuser that I had installed at the same time as the mufflers. But that position didn't work with the DTM Diffuser and had to have the mufflers properly mounted. At that time I just installed the full comp package M5 exhaust and all was well.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What I'm saying is the 535i mufflers are a different angle from the M5 mufflers. Unless your muffler shop went above and beyond and fabricated pipes to fit the angle of the M5 mufflers from your stock system utilizing the M5 mufflers OEM hanger position. But most exhaust shops just modify the hangers so they don't have to fabricate too much. So, there's a chance your mufflers do not sit in the exact position that an M5's would be. If your muffler guy utilized the OEM hangers, you should be fine.

When I first installed my Carbon DTM Diffuser, I had to move my M5 mufflers because my 550 mufflers were a different angle from the M5 mufflers so my exhaust guy made them work to the OEM M5 Diffuser that I had installed at the same time as the mufflers. But that position didn't work with the DTM Diffuser and had to have the mufflers properly mounted. At that time I just installed the full comp package M5 exhaust and all was well.
same here! i originally was gonna slap on those Meister's and just cut out the section of my non M rear bumper but because i picked up an aftermarket rear bumper and the DTM diffuser the muffler shop will need to make minor adjustments to my exhaust setup. transducer for one thing as the 535i piping is smaller than the 550 and the Meister's i picked up are from a 550i. than he'll need to either modify the OEM hanger or redo the pipe itself...i dunno i'll leave it up to them. but i think the OP already had his done so i'm assuming as long as he sticks with diffusers for an M5 he'll be alright

also, i want them to extend the exhaust to they portrude about this much or a tad less
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #7
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:

My M5 mufflers are utilizing the OEM hanger positions, I know that for a fact. I guess I'll just take a gamble if and when I decide to purchase a new diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #8
RockyM610
Rep
Drives: F10 M Sport

Yes you're probably better off getting an aftermarket diffuser made for an m5 because you already have an m5 exhaust, the tips are angled closer to the middle. You could also look at aftermarket m5 challenge center diffuser if you don't mind spending a couple hundred more. They come in carbon fiber and sit right in the middle of your oem m5 diffuser. They go for around $500 on ebay and can be installed in 10 minutes. Do you have pics of your current setup?

Last edited by RockyM610; 03-13-2017 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyM610 View Post
Yes you're probably better off getting an aftermarket diffuser made for an m5 because you already have an m5 exhaust, the tips are angled closer to the middle. You could also look at aftermarket m5 challenge center diffuser if you don't mind spending a couple hundred more. They come in carbon fiber and sit right in the middle of your oem m5 diffuser. They go for around $500 on ebay and can be installed in 10 minutes. Do you have pics of your current setup?
I've thought about the challenger diffuser insert but for $500 I could get two replica diffusers for the price of one insert.

See attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Just thinking about this again but I bet your muffler guy used the OEM hanger locations but probably moved the exhaust to line up with the M5 diffuser. So like mentioned above look for a diffuser for an M5
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #11
RockyM610
Rep
Drives: F10 M Sport

Is it the angle of the phot or does it seem like your tips are sticking to for out?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #12
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Is it the angle of the phot or does it seem like your tips are sticking to for out?
They're a little further out than most are used to. I like the look.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #13
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
That being said they are adjustable so I can move them further in if I wish.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 12:11 AM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTF10 View Post
They're a little further out than most are used to. I like the look.
+1

i like it to stick out too! not too much but kinda like what i posted above
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:26 PM   #15
NV GUNS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

Garage List
2023 M550  [6.75]
2019 M2 Competition  [0.00]
2002 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTF10
Quote:
I've thought about the challenger diffuser insert but for $500 I could get two replica diffusers for the price of one insert.

See attached.
do you have any sound clips? wondering what the N55 sounds sounds like with that setup
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #16
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV GUNS View Post
do you have any sound clips? wondering what the N55 sounds sounds like with that setup

Here's a cold start. I still need to do a proper rev & flyby video. There's minimal to no drone in the car and with the music on you can't even tell there's an exhaust, but it's definitely noticeable outside. Very sporty, throaty, and tame, which I think is appropriate for this engine. I'll be installing a 3" VRSF catless downpipe soon so that should be interesting lol.
Appreciate 1
NV GUNS57.50
      03-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #17
NV GUNS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M550  [6.75]
2002 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Here's a cold start. I still need to do a proper rev & flyby video. There's minimal to no drone in the car and with the music on you can't even tell there's an exhaust, but it's definitely noticeable outside. Very sporty, throaty, and tame, which I think is appropriate for this engine. I'll be installing a 3" VRSF catless downpipe soon so that should be interesting lol.
any drone around 1700? sounds like a an M.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #18
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I actually had j pipes installed to cancel out drone at exactly 1700 rpm. But in all honesty, it was probably overkill.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #19
NV GUNS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M550  [6.75]
2002 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I actually had j pipes installed to cancel out drone at exactly 1700 rpm. But in all honesty, it was probably overkill.
mine is pretty bad around that rpm specific RPM area, I just go to sport mode to up the RPM and it is fine but there are low speed areas and sport mode is way over kill. I need to get myself to a good muffler shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #20
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
mine is pretty bad around that rpm specific RPM area, I just go to sport mode to up the RPM and it is fine but there are low speed areas and sport mode is way over kill. I need to get myself to a good muffler shop.
You have a 550i right? Are your vacuum lines installed and functioning? You shouldn't have drone if so.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #21
NV GUNS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M550  [6.75]
2002 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTF10 View Post
You have a 550i right? Are your vacuum lines installed and functioning? You shouldn't have drone if so.
Yup 550, thanks for the knowledge I will check that out.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #22
HelixBmw
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 750LI M Sport X drive

Hey Guys, quick question, will a 2014 M6 mufflers fit like the M5 on a 2013 550XI? I can buy entire catback set in my area, should i just cut the mufflers off as that would be easier for transport or should i leverage some of the other components?
Appreciate 0