2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media My New 550i Black Beauty

03-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #45
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

Here's a few pics of the front after the H&Rs after they've settled. The rears haven't changed too much.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #46
RC3
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Garage List
2011 F10 528i  [10.00]
Has the ride comfort changed or about the same after the settlement?

2011 F10 528i Black Sapphire / Oyster Black
2000 E46 325ci Cabrio Titanium Silver / Black - retired
1997 E36/7 Z3 Montreal Blue / Black - retired
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #47
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinfast View Post
Here's a few pics of the front after the H&Rs after they've settled. The rears haven't changed too much.
wow that's very low. are you sure you didn't get the H&R race springs?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #48
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No, the ride has changed since the settlement.
I ordered the regular sport springs off the website for 550i. I have no idea why it's so low in the front. I want to put on RD sport springs now to get the front off the ground. Why are they so much more expensive than the H&Rs?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #49
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i & 2021 X6M Comp

Looks great! I'd keep it low.

I wish my H&Rs would have settled that low.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #50
540.M5.550
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Thanks....I am thinking of lowering, but that appears to have settled a little too low for me. Still looks good, just a too low for me. My lowered 540 settled fairly low in the front as well...back was fine.

Does any one else know any other springs which do not lower the front as much for a 550?

The stock springs create so much wheel gap, it is unbelievable.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #51
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm going to go with the RD sport springs. I hope they will be somewhere in middle between the stock and H&Rs. I can't find any pictures of anyone's 550 M-sport that has been modified with RD sport springs. They're all 535s.

I just wish they weren't so expensive. I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #52
Mtechnique
Old member of E 60 *****!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M sport

Quote:
It looks like you have too much balancing weight on that wheel tire combo
Either wheel or tire related....
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #53
BMWMB
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C450 AMG Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBunks View Post
amazing f10. is that carbon black? sapphire black doesnt come in the 550 m-sport does it?
Standard, no. But, you can order this as 'sondernfarbe'. I'm waiting for my F10 530d xDrive M-sport in sapphire black. Costs me about €1.000,- extra and delivery time is about 2 weeks more. Delivery for my car is foreseen start june.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #54
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Mtechnique;9058125]It looks like you have too much balancing weight on that wheel tire combo
Either wheel or tire related....[/QUOTE
What do you mean, too much balancing weight?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #55
Glock 32
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

I think he means the number of weights. I seem to have a lot on my forgestar / hancock wheel/tire combo too. Going to ask my installer. I have been thinking I get a vibration at about 75mph, but not in steering and can't tell if it is just the crappy freeways around here, you? I would still think I would get it in steering wheel even with the EAS steering, etc. (otherwise, that would mean we are getting absolute zero road feel with EAS).

Gonna have them rebalanced in any case, I suppose when I have the springs installed.

Oh, on another note, have you had ANY issues with adaptive suspension since drop?

I understand I need to take it to BMW to have the programing reset or zeroed at the new elevation, going to have to check around, but wonder if the dealer will give me grief or I'll just take it to Dinan since they are local, I guess...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #56
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I did have some vibration in the steering and the passenger seat, but had the wheels and re-balanced, and it fixed the problem.

No, I haven't had any issues with the adaptive drive after lowering. I'm just not happy with the too low of a drop in the front, and the car is a little bouncy on the freeway. It's really bad in Normal and Comfort which I use rarely. ( The car kind of rocks from front to back.)

I can't wait to get them swapped out for the RD sport springs.

I don't know anything about having the adaptive drive reset or zeroed-- maybe that's my problem. Can you let me know if you ask the BMW dealer about it?

I had the alignment checked at the tire dealer where I had the tires and wheels installed and they said it was fine. I asked the BMW dealer and they gave me grief -- said it was impossible to check alignment after lowering -- something about all the specs being off -- whatever?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #57
Glock 32
Private
Rep

I let you know what I find out.

Any chance you can post a straight on side shot of your car (I am trying to compare the front and rear wheel gap and if the amount of rake toward the front is drastic compared to OE?

Do you remeber the part number you confirmed with H&R for the 550i as: 50470?

That is exactly what I fear I will hear from my dealer (I am not going to ask for alignment, just to reset the adaptive suspension). Maybe I should talk to Dinan first.

I am supposed to get this done Tuesday (but sounds like your not too happy with H&R which has me concerned)?...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #58
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks, I'll try to take another shot directly from the side with the sun on them. It's hard to see the gap without direct sunlight.
Yes, the part number is 50470.

From what Lacster said earlier in this post, several people have had several complaints about the H&Rs bouncing a little on the freeway maybe because the spring rate is off.

Or maybe it's because they only have one spring available for both w/adaptive drive and w/out. The RDs have two different ones -- one for adaptive drive and one without.

Let me know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #59
Glock 32
Private
Rep

You didn't happen to get the part number off the springs? It should be 28947 VA for the front and 28947 HA for the rear.

Talked to H&R and they said their spring definately do not settle and that it should drop more or less equally front and rear other than the .1 difference as stated even on the m-sport.

The only difference is the m-sport might be a little lower to begin with from BMW so if it comes .3 lower from factory (e.g. shorter springs to begin with) then you will get .3 less of a drop compared to non m-sport.

They said if it is settling then there must be something wrong with the install. Maybe they cut the bump stops or something (they stated to NOT cut the bump stops as they are a working part of the suspension, etc. in today's cars).

Their springs are put into some sort of block and worked over and over so that any compression memory is worked out. Otherwise, they could not ensure the drop is what they state. Also, TUV certified for that specific car, etc, etc...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #60
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've been told by everyone who sells and whom have bought aftermarket springs say they "settle" a little more after a few hundred miles. I didn't get the number off the springs, just the part number off the box

I figured that since mine is an M-sport, I figured it would be a little lower than 1.4" in the front and 1.3" in the back, but I was expecting 2.25" in the front.

The install was done correctly and the bump stops weren't cut. I watched them do it.

I can't wait to get on the RD's because I'm tired of the rocking front to back and "floating" on the interstate -- definitely not my idea of a sport suspension.

Did you get to talk with Dinan about the resetting of the adaptive suspension?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #61
Glock 32
Private
Rep

Quote:
I've been told by everyone who sells and whom have bought aftermarket springs say they "settle" a little more after a few hundred miles. I didn't get the number off the springs, just the part number off the box

I figured that since mine is an M-sport, I figured it would be a little lower than 1.4" in the front and 1.3" in the back, but I was expecting 2.25" in the front.

The install was done correctly and the bump stops weren't cut. I watched them do it.

I can't wait to get on the RD's because I'm tired of the rocking front to back and "floating" on the interstate -- definitely not my idea of a sport suspension.

Did you get to talk with Dinan about the resetting of the adaptive suspension?
It shouldn't be any lower than 1.4" and IF the m-sport is any lower from the factory (say by .3) you should have only got about 1"...

You might be able to look at the part number on the spring itself through the wheel well. Sure sounds like you got 535 front springs at 2.25" (did you measure before and after?).

I was orignally thinking your rear might be high due to m-sport or something (not your front looked low). If your front went down 2.25", it sure sounds like there not the right springs for the weight of the V8 and possibly mispackaged or something (if it is the right part number than the springs are crap from H&R (at least on the 550i m-sport) and that is something that the rest of us 550i m-sprort owners might find useful information (I know one owner that would especially PRIOR to Thursday) ;o).

I'll measure mine before and after from the center of the wheel to fender and post pics with measurment tape in pic (all CSI style)

I'll try to call Dinan and/or BMW tomorrow (my install is moved to Thursday)... Couldn't get a minute to do so today.

(I do agree your car will settle, but most of that is within the first few minutes of driving and possibly a very small amount over long time)

Wierd that you seemed to love the ride at first and were even descrptive about no bobbing front end and tighter steering. There is probably a small trade-off with any after-market stiffer sport springs (RD Sport included) with low dampening (i.e comfort and normal mode would tend to be more bouncy due to not enough dampening). You describe bobbing front to back which sound out of balance though (kinda like you might have the wrong front springs). Maybe you want to check the part number stamped on your front springs against what I posted earlier (from H&R).

Anyways welcome to the pain in the ass world of modding (I did my complete suspension on my E60 M5 twice first all RD Sport sway bars and springs which threw the car tottaly out of balance (swore off RD Sport after that). Replaced with Dinan Sway bar and KWV3 coilovers.

I only did a two year lease so don't want to do coilovers until maybe the F10 M5 (hope adaptive suspension is optional and I can order without in prep for KWs).

The adaptive suspension works really well with the stock spring on the 550i and hardly any body roll with the active sway bar. Hope I don't screw up the ride too much and there is adequate dampening in sport mode. I can do without comfort mode though even with the stock springs (rides like a merc in comfort OE).

Yes, I hate to say it, but at this point I hope you got the wrong springs from **********s. You probably do too then at least you would have a path to a solution.

If you get around to taking a straight side shot of the car on level ground and a straight side shot close up of EACH fender gap, that would be awsome (but at this point part number on the spring might be the key here and then pics if it is correct).

...or not and I'll just take one for the team on Thursday

///Cheers and good luck.

Last edited by Glock 32; 03-08-2011 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #62
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes, that was a typo on my part. I meant to type "I didn't think it would go lower than 1.4" -- I definitely wasn't expecting 2.25 inches. I did measure before and after. Sorry about that -- I probably confused you.

I'm going to check the part number on the springs today and take a pic or two for you.

I did like the ride at first because I only drove around town -- the bounce turning, stopping, and accelerating completely stopped. Then the car went for service for 2 weeks for a wind noise. After that, I drove it more on the interstate and that's when I noticed the wobbling around front the back. I do agree Comfort Mode is terrible with or without stock springs.

I'll get back with you. I hope yours turn out better than mine. I'm just glad they were inexpensive springs. The RD's are about 2.5 times more. I just hope they're better suited for my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #63
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I checked the part number on the springs and they're correct.

Here are some more pics from the side and the front and rear wheel well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #64
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Those didn't turn out too well. Let me enhance it a bit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #65
Glock 32
Private
Rep

Thank you for taking the time to do that. I'll let you know what I find out about the adaptive suspension....

Doesn't seem that much off, but maybe slight less fender gap on the front vs. the back?

hmmm, I am tempted to forgoe the drop based on your description of the ride though.

Hope it does not screw up the ride that bad... arghh.

Last edited by Glock 32; 03-09-2011 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #66
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

the more I look at them the more I like them can't wait to put mine on
Appreciate 0