2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2013 535i is about to arrive - last minute instructions to my dealer?

09-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

2013 535i is about to arrive - last minute instructions to my dealer?

Good evening,

My 2013 535i is about to arrive, and I wanted to be sure that I give my dealer all last minute instructions that I could come up with before I take possession.

Here is what I have thought of so far:

1. Do not wash or wax my car, only take off the shipping stickers (because I have the non-metallic black which shows scratches, and they probably use a towel to dry);

2. Do not screw holes into my front bumper or install a front license plate bracket;

3. Do not put a pinstripe on the car;

4. Do not put any dealer stickers/logos on the rear deck lid;

5. Tint the windows with the darkest legal tint they are willing to use, and use the same percentage on all side and back windows (and put the tint stripe on the windshield down to the AS1 line).

Also, ksqrd was discussing having the dealer code the Auto Start/Stop to Last Used, which I am considering.

Anyone have any comments to the above, or additional instructions I should provide to my dealer? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitrasetMan View Post
Good evening,

My 2013 535i is about to arrive, and I wanted to be sure that I give my dealer all last minute instructions that I could come up with before I take possession.

Here is what I have thought of so far:

1. Do not wash or wax my car, only take off the shipping stickers (because I have the non-metallic black which shows scratches, and they probably use a towel to dry);

2. Do not screw holes into my front bumper or install a front license plate bracket;

3. Do not put a pinstripe on the car;

4. Do not put any dealer stickers/logos on the rear deck lid;

5. Tint the windows with the darkest legal tint they are willing to use, and use the same percentage on all side and back windows (and put the tint stripe on the windshield down to the AS1 line).

Also, ksqrd was discussing having the dealer code the Auto Start/Stop to Last Used, which I am considering.

Anyone have any comments to the above, or additional instructions I should provide to my dealer? Thanks!
Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Tell them not to drop it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i think you've got it covered
      09-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Anyone?
Why are you going through your dealership to tint your windows? They're just going to outsource it, at least the ones I know do. Just go on your local forums and find a reputable tint shop. Unless you really like to deal with a middle man to charge you double.

I got mine done for $160 and I can't be any happier with the job. Don't forget, go darker than the legal limit if your interior is light colored. Otherwise, it will look like a light tint. But if you have a black interior, just stay with the legal limit.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

i agree. Skip on the dealer tint and get it done by someone local. Telling them to tint it whatever they are willing to go with is like telling someone to just make my car look nice. You are leaving way too much on the table by doing that. Either get it done outside or tell them EXACTLY what YOU want.

I would tell your sales guy to put a note on the cars dash about the no front plate/drill thing. The guys that put on the front plate might not get the message from your sales guy.

Alan
      09-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Why are you going through your dealership to tint your windows? They're just going to outsource it, at least the ones I know do. Just go on your local forums and find a reputable tint shop. Unless you really like to deal with a middle man to charge you double.

I got mine done for $160 and I can't be any happier with the job. Don't forget, go darker than the legal limit if your interior is light colored. Otherwise, it will look like a light tint. But if you have a black interior, just stay with the legal limit.
I'm going through the dealer because I negotiated for them to include the tint when I purchased the car (otherwise I wouldn't have). My F10 is black on black, and I will stay within the legal limits (28% in my state). I was worried that I would have to change the percentage for the front as compared to the back, but I found out that all windows on the F10 have the same factory tint level (which is 0) so it apparently won't be a problem. I am still not sure about metallic versus ceramic (I don't have comfort access, so no issue there) - thoughts?. Anything else I should tell my dealer when they do the tint job? I wonder if I can select the tint brand..

Any other comments to my first post, or additions?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
I'm going through the dealer because I negotiated for them to include the tint when I purchased the car (otherwise I wouldn't have). My F10 is black on black, and I will stay within the legal limits (28% in my state). I was worried that I would have to change the percentage for the front as compared to the back, but I found out that all windows on the F10 have the same factory tint level (which is 0) so it apparently won't be a problem. I am still not sure about metallic versus ceramic (I don't have comfort access, so no issue there) - thoughts?. Anything else I should tell my dealer when they do the tint job? I wonder if I can select the tint brand..

I'm sure the tint job is buried in the price somewhere, heheh. But if you can choose any brand, go with FormulaOne or Huper Optik ceramic tints (high end stuff). Second choices would be 3M or SolarGuard standard smoked tint.

Don't do metallic. It looks cheap and it might screw up your cell phone GPS, etc. Also, I had metallic and it looks like an oil spill via different lighting.

28-32%% should be fine for Blk/Blk. Good call on not installing your front license plate bracket and dealer stickers. An oh, make sure they fix any German hail damages before delivery (j/k).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
bmwombat
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013

Garage List
Quote:

I got the dealer to do the tinting on my last car (X5) & have also negotiated in the pricing for them to do it on my new 535d MSport (due in december). Both times I negotiated them down to a price equal to or below what I can get it done for by a (reputable) outside party (& I'm talking darkest legal tint with a lifetime warranty). I know the dealer outsources it to a 3rd party but I'm OK with that because (a) I've negotiated the pricing & (b) it's all done at once for me so I just collect the car & drive-away. The other benefit here (& this is the BIG KICKER) is that to do the tinting properly they have to remove your door panels so if after you get your tinting done & there are rattles/squeaks/other problems in your doors the dealer can't say "well that's your problem because your tint guy stuffed something up". This way the dealer owns any issues in the doors & can't blame someone else.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. Hope it was useful.
      09-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwombat View Post
I got the dealer to do the tinting on my last car (X5) & have also negotiated in the pricing for them to do it on my new 535d MSport (due in december). Both times I negotiated them down to a price equal to or below what I can get it done for by a (reputable) outside party (& I'm talking darkest legal tint with a lifetime warranty). I know the dealer outsources it to a 3rd party but I'm OK with that because (a) I've negotiated the pricing & (b) it's all done at once for me so I just collect the car & drive-away. The other benefit here (& this is the BIG KICKER) is that to do the tinting properly they have to remove your door panels so if after you get your tinting done & there are rattles/squeaks/other problems in your doors the dealer can't say "well that's your problem because your tint guy stuffed something up". This way the dealer owns any issues in the doors & can't blame someone else.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. Hope it was useful.
Interesting. So, my dealer may outsource the tint job. So, I guess I should use the ceramic tint? Everyone seems to think that the metallic tint will interfere with my cell phone. Is ceramic tint different than the smoked black tint? Can the ceramic tint actually look dark/black - I want it to match the paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep

Anything else?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
bmwombat
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting. So, my dealer may outsource the tint job. So, I guess I should use the ceramic tint? Everyone seems to think that the metallic tint will interfere with my cell phone. Is ceramic tint different than the smoked black tint? Can the ceramic tint actually look dark/black - I want it to match the paint.
Sorry can't help you with ceramic tints as I don't know what they are. Yes - I too have heard that metallic tints 'may' cause cell phone reception issues, but I haven't seen this proven as yet.
      09-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwombat View Post
Sorry can't help you with ceramic tints as I don't know what they are. Yes - I too have heard that metallic tints 'may' cause cell phone reception issues, but I haven't seen this proven as yet.
I'm just wondering if there is anything else I need to tell my dealer once my F10 arrives. I am going to hold off on them changing the programing on the start/stop until I get annoyed at it defaulting to on.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
bmwombat
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm just wondering if there is anything else I need to tell my dealer once my F10 arrives. I am going to hold off on them changing the programing on the start/stop until I get annoyed at it defaulting to on.
I can't think of anything offhand although if they're like dealers here in OZ then they'll probably try to upsell you on a very expensive leather & paint protection job. Ignore them; you can get someone other than the dealer to do similar types of job for much less than the dealer price (& again it's something they outsource to a 3rd party usually). Good luck with your new ride.