2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum There is a good chance this might be my last BMW

11-28-2014, 01:56 AM   #67
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Norway has also been pro-diesel for some odd reason.
About 5-6 years ago they cut the import tax on diesel cars as their CO2 emissions was lower than on a petrol car.
Much to the more knowledgeable peoples surprise because even if CO2 is lower, diesel engines ass more NOX and smaller particles to the air that is very harmful to the local environment.
When the government realized this, about 2-3 years ago, road tax on diesel cars went up, quite a lot if you did not have a modern one with particle filter installed. People got pissed off, and some claimed the government tricked them into buying diesel cars when they lowered the import tax, and then increased the road tax once people had bought them.

I too drive a diesel, I ended up with this somewhat by chance. I do like the low end torque, the lower consumption and the lower fuel price.
These new filters are very good, because my car has none of the issues related with 80's and 90's diesels. a huge puff of thick black smoke when you floor it, and a greasy black rear quarter of your car. I don't see any exhaust from my car in any situation.
But I'm not sure my next car will be a diesel, I do know it will not be electric though.
Same with Ireland in 2008 they introduced a Tax based on CO2, but the killer here is a 2nd tax “VRT” on cars applied to 1st registration, so my 520d for example cost same as an X5 with the same engine in England due to the 2 different taxes applied, the 520d in 2008 drooped by 10k due to the new system but still far worst if compared to UK!

I have good number of Nordic colleagues, if not wrong Denmark, and Finland tend to be the worst! it simply sucks for us car enthusiasts!

Diesel is kind the only option when a 520i will cost you 10k more than a 520d, and as per your comment, a better low end torque more ideal for my daily commutes!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #68
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Same with Ireland in 2008 they introduced a Tax based on CO2, but the killer here is a 2nd tax “VRT” on cars applied to 1st registration, so my 520d for example cost same as an X5 with the same engine in England due to the 2 different taxes applied, the 520d in 2008 drooped by 10k due to the new system but still far worst if compared to UK!

I have good number of Nordic colleagues, if not wrong Denmark, and Finland tend to be the worst! it simply sucks for us car enthusiasts!

Diesel is kind the only option when a 520i will cost you 10k more than a 520d, and as per your comment, a better low end torque more ideal for my daily commutes!
Norway is pretty bad on car taxes, this is because our tax is based on 3 factors, Weight, HP and CO2 emission.
This means that small, light cars with tiny engines are "cheap", Japanese and Korean cars are among the cheapest. You can get a Hyundai I20 for less than £20k, and an I30 for less than £30k.
BMW's are expensive, and the 3/520i/d are the most common one. The tax system means that high powered BMW are very expensive, i.e the new M4 at £140k and an M5 at £200k.
I think we beat both Finland and Denmark on car prices. I think the only country I have seen an entry level car is more expensive than Norway is Singapore, but the high end cars are cheaper. Think its Singapores way to limit the number of cars by making them extremely expensive. I remember they advertised the VW Jetta 1.7 petrol for a whopping £50k back in 2011. and you could have a BMW 335i for £80K.
Appreciate 0