2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum creaking door - fixed

05-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

creaking door - fixed

If any of you have encountered a creaking door , noticed when moving slowly over bumps etc, looks like I've managed to sort this.
Clean the rubber strips on the door with washing up liquid and water on a tissue and then wipe clean with a tissue again.
Had a similar problem with my E39 in the past for which I applied BMW Silicon spray - however read in the F10 ,manual not to apply silicon on rubber parts.

problem seems to have gone.
Surprised my how much muck was on the rubber seals even though the car is only about 10 days old.

Thought I'd post in case any of you have a similar problem. Any creaks or rattles just drive me mad!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
If any of you have encountered a creaking door , noticed when moving slowly over bumps etc, looks like I've managed to sort this.
Clean the rubber strips on the door with washing up liquid and water on a tissue and then wipe clean with a tissue again.
Had a similar problem with my E39 in the past for which I applied BMW Silicon spray - however read in the F10 ,manual not to apply silicon on rubber parts.

Surprised my how much muck was on the rubber seals even though the car is only about 10 days old.

Thought I'd post in case any of you have a similar problem. Any creaks or rattles just drive me mad!
Good to hear you've solved that! I am also extremely averse to creaks and rattles. Any other concerns so far?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep

Fine although car seems to pull to the left. Tyre pressures were check and found to be a bit low (thought pdi would mean it was delivered with them set correctly). Despite that still feel like its pulling left. Trying to find a road without a camber to be sure.
Not sure rfts are more prone than 'proper' tyres?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep

well unfortuanately the problem is back.
If you google creaking doors and bmws there are tons of hits on this and it seems to be a very common issue.
Like othes have noticed, if thewindows is wound down a couple of milli,etres, the issue goes away.
So as others have found its not the felxible rubber seals around teh door is the where the seal at the top of the door touches the body.
I've cleaned with meths and washing up liquid but theissue has come back.
The BMW manual states not to use anything with silicon in so won't be doing that.
there have been references to Gummi Pfledge as well although BMW apparently don't sell that any more. (they do sell their own product though BMW Genuine Car Rubber Vinyl Plastic Protectant 300m (83 12 0 301 480) for reference)
Other than cleaning again with washing up liquidnot sure what to do

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I have the same annoying issue with my e90! Do you have tints on your car?

Like you said if your roll your windows down just a smidge the noise goes away.

It's def not the door seal but rather the seal around the upper parts of the window

Alan
      07-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep

no tints, absolutely standard, only 2 months old.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep

well possibly some progress, managed to order Gummi Pfledge from bmw direct on Amazon and applied it to the rubber part at the very top of the door frame. (not the rubber seals that go around the whole door)
Seems to have cured that but left me with the issue of creaking noise from the seatbelt assembly on the B pillar.

This looks like a visit to the dealer unless can suggest anything else?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
528imsport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post

this is common on all BMW cars.
the best way is to clean the rubber seals and then put vasalin on them and it will last many of years.
it is also very good for Hot weather and works well.
Appreciate 0