2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Bike holder recommendation for base support system plz

04-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5, '19 750i

Bike holder recommendation for base support system plz

I am about to order this for the roof:

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=2870

and get something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Thule-599XTR-U..._bxgy_sg_img_b

...to carry a Trek Fuel EX Mountain Bike. It has a square like frame.

SOOOOOOOOO I would love to see some recommendations for the bike holder like the one above that goes onto the support system.

Thanks!

All this BS because bmwusa does not sell the trailer hitch for our 5 series. More stupid marketing from BMW. Of course in Europe they do. Anyways... that is off topic.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

1. You can probably get an after-market trailer hitch somewhere if you want a receiver-mounted bike rack.
2. I find the pictured roof rack attachments hard to use because of the vertical reach required. I use the fork-mounted BMW bike tray because all the attachments are basically at the level of the car's roof — an easy reach. The front wheel can go in the trunk. It also strikes me as a more secure and stable arrangement.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
The Mewster
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 520d - arrived Jan 2011.

I've got both the Thule roof rack and the bike carrier (different one to you've shown above) and it works fine. My one clamps onto the bottom of the down tube by the bottom bracket. Can take photos if that helps?

Pro media pack, visibility pack, sports steering wheel, heated seats, lumbar support, ambient lighting, USB interface, 18" wheels, parking camera, auto tailgate, sun protection glass.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Sdb
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 528i

I have the F10 BMW roof rack and have been very impressed with it. Search past posts for full discussions and pics.

To hold my mtn bike, (Santa Cruz Blur LT) and road bike I have the Yakima front loader. This fits the Bmw factory rack well and attaches in seconds.

Last edited by Sdb; 04-15-2011 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

To both of you guys, how difficult is it to mount the bike carrier onto the roof rack? Do you need tools for them?

Tha Mewster,
Yeah I take a picture if it is not too much hassle.

Sdb,
Is this the one you have?

http://bikesports.ca/product/yakima-...er-68270-1.htm
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
The Mewster
Private
Rep

Here are the photos....

Thule bike rack works really well with the Thule roof rails, as it just slides on and then three push-down clamps to hold in place (one lockable), so it literally takes two minutes to put on, if that.

Roof rack is a bit more of a pain than the Thule one on my old A6 Avant, as this one requires eight alan bolts, plus four lockable covers, so it'll probably just live on the car, rather than coming on and off like my old one.

...and before the bike related questions.... yes they are pink pedals, yes it is a singlespeed mountainbike, and yes it is painful riding up hills....
Attached Images

Pro media pack, visibility pack, sports steering wheel, heated seats, lumbar support, ambient lighting, USB interface, 18" wheels, parking camera, auto tailgate, sun protection glass.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That looks good. (LOL the pedals) My only problem with it is that it seems it rubs on the frame a bit. Thanks for taking the time and posting those pictures, because that was something I have not thought of. If I go with a wheel based that should not be an issue, I guess another advantage of the wheel based system would be that it is a more universal solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
The Mewster
Private
Rep

Yea, it certainly does rub on the frame. I've got a carbon road bike as well and so definately wouldn't use it for that....

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Sdb
Rep

The Yakima in your link is the one I own. If you get a chance to search on youtube there is some great videos showing installation- no tools required. (Sorry-I can't access youtube at work to link it for you)

I bought the Yakima because I didn't want to have contact with the frame.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdb View Post
The Yakima in your link is the one I own. If you get a chance to search on youtube there is some great videos showing installation- no tools required. (Sorry-I can't access youtube at work to link it for you)

I bought the Yakima because I didn't want to have contact with the frame.
Thanks! I found the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu8rHM90Rdw
This thing is completely free of any tools. Which is what I wanted. I think I have got a winner.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here is an update in case others are interested in getting this.

I ordered both the Base Support System ($265) and the the Yakima Frontloader ($143) through Amazon. The base support system was sold by a BMW dealer. Shipping was free.

Finally today I had time to install everything. This thread here on F10 forums is helpful as well: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445656

The initial installation of the base support system is a major pain in the neck. It took me a good hour to finally get it right. Now that I am familiar with the process, it would take me about 20 min. The process is well described in the manual so do read it but there are some tips that may help:

1. Make sure you clean the paint out of the bolts. You need to keep screwing and unscrewing the screw that is provided for removing the paint from the bolts until you can tighten the screw with your bare hands almost all the way.

2. Most likely you will need to adjust the width of the bars. Best thing to do is to loosen both screws (not too loose!) on each end of the bar. I am talking about the screws that hold the aluminum bar in the plastic ends. Install the bar onto the car. If you can't manually tighten the screws you probably still have some paint left in the bolt. Once you have both ends firmly installed go ahead and tighten the screws that hold the aluminum bar. It is a pain to tighten them like this because they face downward toward the roof and you can't see them but it is worth it. This way the two ends will be in the right position.

Once the support system is adjusted and is in place, installing the Yakima is a breeze just like the video in the above post shows. I was hoping for a setup that would take no longer than 10-15 min to install everything. I am happy to report that the system has beaten my expectations. It took me a total of 4 min and 20 sec to secure the base support system AND put the Yakima on top. It takes about another 2 min to put my bike on top of all this. Taking the system OFF takes about 3 min total.

A final tip. Install the Yakima on the driver side. That way when you put the bike on top the chain will face the passenger side, away from you. If the bike goes onto the passenger side, you will get oil on your arms while taking the bike off.

The only con I can think of is that if you are much shorter than me you will have a hard time lifting the bike up. I am 5'10", average built and I can just lift the 20 lbs mountain bike high enough.

Since it is raining, I was not able to drive to a trail today. So I can't tell how well the Yakima holds the bike. I will report back after the first trip. Hopefully tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
Sdb
Rep

Glad the Yakima worked out for you. I'm about 5min now on installing the rack and load bars- I'll have do do some work to see if I can get that time lower
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdb View Post
Glad the Yakima worked out for you. I'm about 5min now on installing the rack and load bars- I'll have do do some work to see if I can get that time lower
Actually just got back from a ride. So far I was only willing to drive up to 60 mph. At 65 mph I see the front wheel starting to vibrate. I think I will use an industry strap for the front wheel because I have seen a thread over at mtbr.com about a bike flying off at 60mph. 1st page toward the bottom are some pics.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ht=frontloader

I guess as long the front wheel is also secured on the bottom, like the rear, it should not be able to slip out.

Other than that, I am very happy with this setup.
Appreciate 0