2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Rules that everyone should follow!!

02-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #67
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well...I was a busboy and subsequently a waiter during HS. I can completely relate to some of the BS you put up with everyday with customers that go out to eat and feel like they are kings. WTF!? I agree...we are providing a service...but there should be mutual respect from the customer to the waitstaff.

I will make a comment regarding those individuals that respond by "get a different job" to this issue. I don't think everyone that waits on tables has the skills, or the opportunities to just look for a better paying job. Do you really think that they stay working there so that they can hide income from taxes? NO WAY...its really difficult work. Many stay..because they have to. If you have never worked in a restaurant...be glad, because you probably could not handle it.

So...tip as you see fit. I tip very generously...99% of the time. Yes of course..there is the occasional bad waiter. But I find that if you are kewel with them...the service brought to you...will always be good. If you find that you are always having to tip less because of bad service...I think this is a reflection of how bad a customer you are.

**going to Volare next time in SD **
      02-28-2006, 11:49 PM   #68
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Well as far as movie scenes go, I think the best "waitress pick up" scene was in Office Space. I wish I was that slick...
Hahah thats the best movie.

"We're not in kansas anymore".. "Yea thats for sure"... "Can we not talk about my flair?"

Hahaha i love that movie.
      02-28-2006, 11:51 PM   #69
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I work as a waitress cause im going through college and im helping my parents out. Its not my dream job, nor is it cause i'm not smart enough to get a different job. Plus some nights i come home w/ $100 for 4.5hrs of work. I could never make $20/hr entry level anyway.
      02-28-2006, 11:54 PM   #70
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

i tip according to how strong/good they make my lynchburg lemonade.......
      03-01-2006, 12:15 AM   #71
BMWLV
Rep
Drives: 335i holdout

I tip minimum 20%-25% unless the service is bad, in that case I force myself to leave 15%. If I drink I leave $1-$2 per drink... I live in vegas, so its customary to tip high... especially when you are given free drinks. But if I walk in to a place at whatever time and I want hot tea, cold tea, coffee, or water I better damn well get it... I don't care how much you hate your job. You can't be a garbage man and complain about going home stinky.

Granted there is NEVER any reason to disrespect the server no matter how bad she is.... and if this is the case then I think you might be preaching to the choir.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 01:54 AM   #72
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mava330
puck does you car complain to you why you didn't buy it the Sport Package??

j/k
thats cold dog...lol..
      03-01-2006, 07:23 AM   #73
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
. . . some nights i come home w/ $100 for 4.5hrs of work.
If servers are complaining about earning $20/hr for a job that doesn't even require a high-school diploma, something is wrong.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #74
BMWLV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn
If servers are complaining about earning $20/hr for a job that doesn't even require a high-school diploma, something is wrong.

touche
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #75
eimSD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Arctic 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
21. Don't ever order hot tea under any circumstances. We don't care if you're sick. And if for some reason you do order it, that should extend the tip to at least 25%

...wtf? I always order hot tea. I like hot tea, what's wrong with ordering hot tea?
Bella -- is hot tea really such a pain? Some places even bring out boxes with a wide selection of teas, Karl Strauss, for one.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #76
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eimSD
Bella -- is hot tea really such a pain? Some places even bring out boxes with a wide selection of teas, Karl Strauss, for one.
Its funny cause the news even had a story about the annoyances of serving, and they said that all servers hated getting hot tea. I think it depends on where you go. For example, my restaurant is a small place, we mostly serve beer and wine. Hot tea is something that we have to go and personally make for 1 customer even if we're extremely busy. Its not popular enough where we have it ready to go at all times, i get like one hot tea every other time i work.

I wasnt trying to come off as a whiner or a bitch for posting that list, trust me, when i make $20/hr i dont complain. I know that its good money. Last night i came home with $90 and i was there from 5:15-9:30. And it wasnt that busy. So i agree, servers shouldnt complain too much cause in the end they do take decent money home.. However ive had many many nights where i worked my BUTT off and only made $50 (bad tippers). The prob with serving is that the pay is inconsistant. I dont know how much ill make each week ..etc.
      03-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #77
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Hey Bella, at some of the restaurants I've been to - if you order tea they'll just give you a cup of hot water and a little container filled with a myriad of tea packets so that they choose their own and dip their own. Sounds like the most facile route to me in regards to keeping your workload down.
      03-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #78
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Hey Bella, at some of the restaurants I've been to - if you order tea they'll just give you a cup of hot water and a little container filled with a myriad of tea packets so that they choose their own and dip their own. Sounds like the most facile route to me in regards to keeping your workload down.
Yea i know, trust me , my place does everything difficult haha. We actually go and boil water for each hot tea personally. So when i got 30 customers to deal with, boiling hot water is the least of my worries lol..
      03-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #79
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Buy one of those Asian thingamuhjigs that just stores hot water and pumps it out onto a cup whenever you need hot water.
      03-01-2006, 01:38 PM   #80
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

if you have that many issues in regards to your job as a server... then its time to find a new line of work...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #81
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
you need one of these

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #82
BMWLV
Rep

Quote:
Yea i know, trust me , my place does everything difficult haha. We actually go and boil water for each hot tea personally. So when i got 30 customers to deal with, boiling hot water is the least of my worries lol..

Wow... do you guys de-feather your own chickens too??
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #83
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by findtom
Whoever wrote that needs to find another line of work ASAP.
Agreed. No offense to those in this industry...it definitely take a special personality type and aptitude to excel, just like anything else. At the same time, I hate to see people trying to make a long term carreer out of waiting tables.

...and since when did tipping 20% become madatory??? I'll tip 15% for good service...less if the service is poor....I can only recall a couple of times in my life when the service was so poor that no tip was warranted.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #84
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_John
Agreed. No offense to those in this industry...it definitely take a special personality type and aptitude to excel, just like anything else. At the same time, I hate to see people trying to make a long term carreer out of waiting tables.

...and since when did tipping 20% become madatory??? I'll tip 15% for good service...less if the service is poor....I can only recall a couple of times in my life when the service was so poor that no tip was warranted.

agreed, if you want that extra tip... work for it....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #85
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_John
I can only recall a couple of times in my life when the service was so poor that no tip was warranted.
Well I was out with a bunch of my buddies once and we all had separate checks. We all paid for all of our bills on our way out, except my one friend was in the bathroom and we figured we'd all wait for him outside.

Well, our waitress came outside screaming "WHICH ONE OF YOU DIDN'T PAY??? WHICH ONE OF YOU DIDN'T PAY???" like a real bitch. So we tell her that one of us was in the bathroom, so she goes back in and my friend is at the counter paying. So, we all go back in and grab all of our tips back off of the table and that's the last time we went to that restaurant
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #86
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Well I was out with a bunch of my buddies once and we all had separate checks. We all paid for all of our bills on our way out, except my one friend was in the bathroom and we figured we'd all wait for him outside.

Well, our waitress came outside screaming "WHICH ONE OF YOU DIDN'T PAY??? WHICH ONE OF YOU DIDN'T PAY???" like a real bitch. So we tell her that one of us was in the bathroom, so she goes back in and my friend is at the counter paying. So, we all go back in and grab all of our tips back off of the table and that's the last time we went to that restaurant

that is awesome.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 02:38 PM   #87
Squawks
United_States
Rep

I went to this one Chinese restaurant with my g/f and we ordered this one dish with roasted duck. The duck was a little spicey and a litte dry and usually the standard tea would suffice but this time there was the need for water. So the waiter comes around and I asked for water. 10 minutes later, nothing. I see him come by to give the table next to us (there were only about 5 tables total in the restaurant) water and I ask him if we can have some water. He vanished. Another waitress comes around and I ask her for water and I let her know that this is the 3rd time I asked. She says she'll bring it right out. 10 minutes later she brought us the check.

No tip. Period.
      03-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #88
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Hmm

Quote:
Its funny cause the news even had a story about the annoyances of serving, and they said that all servers hated getting hot tea. I think it depends on where you go. For example, my restaurant is a small place, we mostly serve beer and wine. Hot tea is something that we have to go and personally make for 1 customer even if we're extremely busy. Its not popular enough where we have it ready to go at all times, i get like one hot tea every other time i work.

I wasnt trying to come off as a whiner or a bitch for posting that list, trust me, when i make $20/hr i dont complain. I know that its good money. Last night i came home with $90 and i was there from 5:15-9:30. And it wasnt that busy. So i agree, servers shouldnt complain too much cause in the end they do take decent money home.. However ive had many many nights where i worked my BUTT off and only made $50 (bad tippers). The prob with serving is that the pay is inconsistant. I dont know how much ill make each week ..etc.
So actually two of your recent posts kinda kill points 1 and 13 of your initial theses...though yes, it would be a pain not to be able to predict how much is coming in any given week.

BTW, since we're all talking about fairness to some extent, how do your less attractive colleagues (who I'll bet get hit on less) do at the end of the day tipwise?
Appreciate 0