2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anyone have experience with a Diminishing Value Claim?

09-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Anyone have experience with a Diminishing Value Claim?

Long story short, my wonderful 535 got rear ended (other driver was at fault). I love this car, and I intend to keep it, for now. I had about 7K in damage, the body shop I'm using is highly skilled and well trusted to do a good job. I don't have a doubt that the car will be good to drive after. However, it is safe to say, when I do end up trading this car in some day, it won't be worth as much as it would be had it not been rear ended. I would expect his insurance to pay up for DV, of course not without a fight, but it doesn't hurt to try. Anyone have good experience going through this process? Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
SoDigito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16%E2%80%99 X6 / 10%E2%80%99 5

My wife's X3 also got rear-ended a few weeks ago. I took it to a BMW certified collision center and I am sure they'll do a great job, but the car will have a carfax on it so there will be DV on trade w/o a doubt. I would also love to hear from other members about their experiences.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

you can file a diminished value claim with the other drivers insurance company. Plenty of info available online. http://www.ican2000.com/dvfaqs.html , etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
Alcenos
Field Marshal 🔱
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition (F90)

Garage List
I was rear ended in my E60 by a box truck resulting in near $10k in damage. Insurance covered everything and even got my deductible paid back from the insurance company of the truck driver. When I went to get my F10 I was expecting to get a low ball price from the dealer on my trade in. I had nearly 100k miles and no real fancy options and get $8500 which was about $1k above KBB at the time.

It probably just depends on how bad they want to sell you another car.
2002 E46 325i - Space Grey (retired)
1999 E46 328i - Orient Blue (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
cipher5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcenos View Post
I was rear ended in my E60 by a box truck resulting in near $10k in damage. Insurance covered everything and even got my deductible paid back from the insurance company of the truck driver. When I went to get my F10 I was expecting to get a low ball price from the dealer on my trade in. I had nearly 100k miles and no real fancy options and get $8500 which was about $1k above KBB at the time.

It probably just depends on how bad they want to sell you another car.
Yeah I don't intend on selling, hell some of the insurance paid for a M-sport rear bumper (I don't have M-sport from factory) so I figured I'd just recoup the diminish value in cash.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 07:06 AM   #6
kinerin
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xdrive sedan

Diminished Value claim

We just went thru a DV claim, not on our F10, but on a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit which sustained about $20,000 in repair costs after being broadsided by someone who had run a stop sign.

Do not expect it to go easy.

The other party's Insurance Co fought us every step along the way. Before repairs, we clearly advised them that we would pursue a DV claim if they chose to repair the vehicle. They blew it off and repaired anyways.

After being in the shop for 3 months the vehicle was returned to us. Repairs seemed correct and vehicle looked great and handled fine BUT now had a Severe Damage notation on it's CarFax title.

Went to three different dealers (Jeep dealer, BMW dealer, and CarMax) and got trade-in value based damaged vs non-damaged titles. All 3 were very close in apprasial, in neighborhood of $8,000.00

Submitted to other party's Insurance and now the back-and-forth began. They threw every roadblock in the book at us:
Failure to validate claim. (we provided written documentation)
Trade-In values too low. (We used same KBB and Manheim numbers as they.
They had no control over trade-in. We should have had them negotiate.?

Bottom line was they were now stuck with a claim that they should have totaled the vehicle in the first place. As we had discussed with them at the very onset.

I truly believe they did not take seriously our intent to pursue DV.

Their initial offers for settlement were absurd. Each one we rejected until they were finally about $1200.00 below our claimed amount. Were told this was their "final offer".

After serving them papers re: Small Claims Court, they finally agreed to our initial claim.

Entire process took over a year. Good luck.

BTW...we did NOT acquire an attorney.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
djviru
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I did a DV claim and used Collision Claim Associates. They have someone come and take a look at your car and request a copy of all the repairs done to it. After a week they provide you with a nice report and sample emails to send to the insurance company along with sample responses if they try to wiggle out of it. I sent the report in to GEICO with one of their sample email texts (very lawyer sounding) and just waited and I got a call from the area manager and he wrote me a check.

I had to haggle to get him to reimburse me for the report but he pretty much paid for 70% of the report too.

Not complaining, now I have that money saved as my 'warranty' in case any repairs needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
cipher5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djviru View Post
I did a DV claim and used Collision Claim Associates. They have someone come and take a look at your car and request a copy of all the repairs done to it. After a week they provide you with a nice report and sample emails to send to the insurance company along with sample responses if they try to wiggle out of it. I sent the report in to GEICO with one of their sample email texts (very lawyer sounding) and just waited and I got a call from the area manager and he wrote me a check.

I had to haggle to get him to reimburse me for the report but he pretty much paid for 70% of the report too.

Not complaining, now I have that money saved as my 'warranty' in case any repairs needed.
How long did the process take?
Appreciate 0