2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum ?lowered and dealer's response for alignment?

05-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #23
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Sounds about right. Did he say drop the axles or sub-frame?
He could have said subframe?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #24
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So I'm going to play dummy here just because it's great to hear your guy's input and it should make sense to me but...when the tech says he was able to get it back within OEM specs regarding the alignment wouldn't the OEM specs be null because it's now lowered? I remember on my Accord and it was on coilovers I had to take it to a specialty shop for lowered vehicles and they aligned it old skool. He explained because it sits that low the vehicle cannot be aligned to OEM specs but it can be aligned to get camber, caster and toe at the height it's sitting. Which totally made sense to me. Or maybe in the BMW it's fine and I'm just not comprehending what he meant by BWM specs?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #25
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
So I'm going to play dummy here just because it's great to hear your guy's input and it should make sense to me but...when the tech says he was able to get it back within OEM specs regarding the alignment wouldn't the OEM specs be null because it's now lowered? I remember on my Accord and it was on coilovers I had to take it to a specialty shop for lowered vehicles and they aligned it old skool. He explained because it sits that low the vehicle cannot be aligned to OEM specs but it can be aligned to get camber, caster and toe at the height it's sitting. Which totally made sense to me. Or maybe in the BMW it's fine and I'm just not comprehending what he meant by BWM specs?
I think there is inherently more adjustment available to us on BMWs. Maybe because these are enthusiast cars and BMW expects us to mod, or simply because they are German and they tend to over engineer everything. The Accord that I raced also needed a completely different adjustment than OEM, because once coilovers, camber kit, and different control arms were installed, the geometry of the suspension was too far off from OEM to be adjusted back to OEM. This doesn't seem to be the case with BMWs, they leave enough adjustment to be able to lower it without having to reconfigure the entire geometry of the suspension. I have seen BMWs on air bags that were still within OEM tolerance when sitting so low you couldn't get a pack of cigarettes under it
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #26
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate the insight PJ! I know the tech said even tho I'm sitting that low he was able to align the car. I just thought I spent too much time over thinking. Like I mentioned he did say rear camber was 2 degrees way off and was able to pull it back to almost 0 or flat
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #27
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Appreciate the insight PJ! I know the tech said even tho I'm sitting that low he was able to align the car. I just thought I spent too much time over thinking. Like I mentioned he did say rear camber was 2 degrees way off and was able to pull it back to almost 0 or flat
LOL, funny thing is h may have been mistaken. OEM Spec for our cars is -2.0 degrees, so if he says it was 2 degrees off, but was able to get it close to 0, he actually took it from spec to out of spec by 2 degrees. Either way, it doesn't matter, getting it flatter was the key point, your rear tires will thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #28
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

FYI, what kills the tire is the toe.
Camber is for tire surface that is in contact to the ground.
0 degree means you have full tire contact to the ground on a straight line.
- degree means you will have less outer tire contact to the ground on straight line, but have more contact during a turn.
+ degree is the oposite of the - degree.

While toe adjustment, will control more of the oversteer and understeer.

There is more to it than just saying - camber will burn your tire fast.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 11:46 PM   #29
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
Here you go! I couldn't really read the #'s for the right/rear camber as it printed in orange? But he did say the rears were 2 degrees off which is a lot! He said he was able to dial it in pretty flat that way I don't get that inner tire wear. He also noted everything else looks good as far as suspension components. I did inquire about labor charges for H&R sway bars front /rear and he said no problem for the front but the rear he will need to drop the rear axles? $500 just for labor for front/rear...what do you guys think?
Can you post some before and after pics of the rear wheels with the camber and after the alingment without? My car has a little negative camber in the rear and My buddy said he could take it out along with the rear toe in. He also said bmws have some negative camber fron the factory and after my spring install it was within bmw specs but I just noticed today while I was looking at my stock rear tires and my current 20's they are both wearing a little more on the inside and thats no bueno. I might have the rear adjusted while I get my tpm sensors swithced over.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:48 PM   #30
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
Can you post some before and after pics of the rear wheels with the camber and after the alingment without? My car has a little negative camber in the rear and My buddy said he could take it out along with the rear toe in. He also said bmws have some negative camber fron the factory and after my spring install it was within bmw specs but I just noticed today while I was looking at my stock rear tires and my current 20's they are both wearing a little more on the inside and thats no bueno. I might have the rear adjusted while I get my tpm sensors swithced over.
i have no idea what the before was bro since he didn't print that up for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:46 AM   #31
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
i have no idea what the before was bro since he didn't print that up for me.
Im not asking for specs, just a pic of how your rear wheels look now after the alingment. Or did you not have the rear negative camber removed?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:35 AM   #32
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
Im not asking for specs, just a pic of how your rear wheels look now after the alingment. Or did you not have the rear negative camber removed?
i see...i'll wait til tomorrow when there's daylight and i'll take some pictures
Appreciate 1