2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes lowering bmw f10 550i

04-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #23
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
As Doubles pointed out - any springs alone will greatly reduce the life of your OEM struts/shocks. I will be doing a drop as well, but I will go coilovers, adjustable coilovers can provide just as comfortable a ride as OEM shocks. Best street option is KW, but those can be $3k, they have a more budget friendly version called ST Suspension (made by KW in Germany). Then there are a host of good and even more budget friendly options: H&R, Bilstein, BC, Megan, K-Sport, etc
You can get some KWv1's for $1360 no EDC
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #24
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
My Koni's cost 1010 and the Eibach sport springs were had for 250 so 1300 is a about what you're going to spend on suspension minus install costs. Once you're shocks blow you're going to hate your ride. Get the shocks with the springs or get coilovers. I found these on eBay for 800 but not sure about Megan.
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/161926889791
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #25
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

I am thinking of going with these:
http://www.stsuspensions.com/product...kit-13947.html
Or CKS
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #26
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA
Or CKS
Seems like a good product and about 1200 for coilovers seems perfect. Wonder how our heavier cars perform on them.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #27
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
Or CKS
only thing about the ST's are they are not corosion resistant. i was gonna go with those but ended up getting Red's KWv1's! spend the extra few hundred and get the KWv1's!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #28
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
only thing about the ST's are they are not corosion resistant. i was gonna go with those but ended up getting Red's KWv1's! spend the extra few hundred and get the KWv1's!
How is the ride?

I'm looking at replacing shocks too, think I might have blown one with my Acs Springs.

I'm caught between
a. Going coilover and selling the ACS Springs (though I like the drop with them and handling)
b. Keeping the ACS Springs and just getting shocks eg Koni, Bilstein etc.

It's my daily driver and will never be raced on a track. And I don't think I will be doing any tinkering with the adjustments option that the V2 and V3 KW offers.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #29
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tek View Post
How is the ride?

I'm looking at replacing shocks too, think I might have blown one with my Acs Springs.

I'm caught between
a. Going coilover and selling the ACS Springs (though I like the drop with them and handling)
b. Keeping the ACS Springs and just getting shocks eg Koni, Bilstein etc.

It's my daily driver and will never be raced on a track. And I don't think I will be doing any tinkering with the adjustments option that the V2 and V3 KW offers.
Don't have them just yet as I'm in the process of getting them. I knew from just going with springs you shorten the overall life span of the stock OEM shocks. As you can see some of you guys are blowing the shocks already. I won't be tracking my car and that's why I was only interested in just the KWV1's. For you like u mentioned have 2 options to go with depending on $? Fellow member here posted the Bilstein shocks run for $734 and I'm sure the Koni's run about the same price. If it were me I would sell the ACS springs and pickup the KWv1's for $1360.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #30
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Don't have them just yet as I'm in the process of getting them. I knew from just going with springs you shorten the overall life span of the stock OEM shocks. As you can see some of you guys are blowing the shocks already. I won't be tracking my car and that's why I was only interested in just the KWV1's. For you like u mentioned have 2 options to go with depending on $? Fellow member here posted the Bilstein shocks run for $734 and I'm sure the Koni's run about the same price. If it were me I would sell the ACS springs and pickup the KWv1's for $1360.
Hmm, the KW V1s can be a good option. As you said, I will not be tracking my car either. Between needing to keep a "family friendly ride" and my back not being the same after the accident, fully stiff coilovers aren't really realistic anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:17 PM   #31
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

U might want to opt for some coilovers with dampening controls than...or go air suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 03:03 AM   #32
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G31

KW Coilover Street Comfort inox (1499euros) or KW Coilover Variant 1 inox (1269 euros).

Not looking for a boy racer slammed look, but a nice drop.

Money isnt an issue as i want the most comfortable option if i'm doing coilovers. I spend a minimum of two hours daily doing motorway commute.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 10:07 PM   #33
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA
Quote:
Hmm, the KW V1s can be a good option. As you said, I will not be tracking my car either. Between needing to keep a "family friendly ride" and my back not being the same after the accident, fully stiff coilovers aren't really realistic anymore.
If you are interested, I got a used KW V2 that is up for sale, just haven't got a chance to clean it up and take a picture for posting.
It has the stock uppermount already, those itself will save you at least 1 hour of labor.
Let me know if you are interested, I am local to you anyway.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 02:35 AM   #34
eduardomi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e93 M3 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
If you are interested, I got a used KW V2 that is up for sale, just haven't got a chance to clean it up and take a picture for posting.
It has the stock uppermount already, those itself will save you at least 1 hour of labor.

Gaining some interest and local. Please post or send pics and price
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 02:41 AM   #35
eduardomi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e93 M3 Jerez Black

Guys, before going any further with drop options...dropping your car would void any suspension warranty, right?

I mean, either coilovers or spring/shock combo...as far as they are non-stock I understand it would void your suspension warranty?

I am in SoCal and I have heard wonders about Charlie @ McKenna for a SA. Have any of you guys taken your car with him or have you been refused service or warranty work due to the drop there or somewhere else?

I have at least 3 more years of warranty so I am kind worried.

A penny for your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #36
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardomi
Quote:

Gaining some interest and local. Please post or send pics and price
It is posted in classifieds section already.

Warranty wise, BMW shouldn't void any warranty until they can prove that the damage or failure is caused by the aftermarket parts.
Had a few customers that had experience with Charlie, sounds like a pretty cool guy.
And keep in mind when you do mod your car, the rule is to be willing to take the risk in your own hand.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #37
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Warranty wise, BMW shouldn't void any warranty until they can prove that the damage or failure is caused by the aftermarket parts.
Had a few customers that had experience with Charlie, sounds like a pretty cool guy.
And keep in mind when you do mod your car, the rule is to be willing to take the risk in your own hand.
i've always wondered after lowering the car should you take it to the dealership or any independent shop just so the dealer doesn't give you grief for lowering the car
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #38
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Quote:

i've always wondered after lowering the car should you take it to the dealership or any independent shop just so the dealer doesn't give you grief for lowering the car
Depending on your dealership.
In my case, they don't give me any trouble.
But I wouldn't trust them with my premium wheels though.
So whenever I have to bring the car in, I always put the stock on.
And I do suggest to raise your car if your car is slammed.
I think there is a disclaimer somewhere saying that they are not responsible for any damages.
So if they scrapped your front bumper or scratch your aftermarket wheel, they may not want to be held liable. Even if they do, the hassle is much more painstaking then swapping the wheel or raising the car a little bit.
Of course if you have extra change, I would bring it to an independent shop where they are knowledgeable with modded car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #39
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think there is a disclaimer somewhere saying that they are not responsible for any damages.
So if they scrapped your front bumper or scratch your aftermarket wheel, they may not want to be held liable. Even if they do, the hassle is much more painstaking then swapping the wheel or raising the car a little bit.
Of course if you have extra change, I would bring it to an independent shop where they are knowledgeable with modded car.
damn...i have a scheduled oil change this Friday and my 21's are on right now. i don't want them to accidentally scratch the wheels but at the same time my OEM wheels have bubbles on both front wheels. you know how sometimes the dealer won't release your car back to you because they say it's a safety issue and they can be held accountable just in case say your tire blows on the way home?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 09:11 PM   #40
Vapiano
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 550ix AW- 2007 Dinan M5

Quote:
Picked up my car today from the dealer after an oil change service, they're a Dinan authorized dealer. I had them install the Dinan Springs and Ride Quality/Handling Kit as well. One of the benefits of Dinan products is keeping your factory warranty.

Getting back to the springs, it's funny how on some cars the drop is only 1/2 inch and others it's 3/4 inches or somewhere in between. I was very pleased when I picked my car up that the drop for me was 3/4 inches. It gives the car a more aggressive look and much better handling. I was impressed off right off the bat, it's amazing what a drop does for body roll. Turn in and holding a line mid corner is much improved. The ride quality changed just a bit, the car doesn't have that overall executive ride feel anymore, which can be boring at times, it has a little edge to it now and I like it. Braking has improved as well, feels like the car has steel braided brake lines and more aggressive pads since it no longer nose dives.

All in all, I am very happy with the upgrade, coupled with JB4, the car is a now a perfect daily driver.
2007 M5, 6 speed, Silver Gray Metallic, Full Black Merino Leather, Brushed Ti Trim, HUD, Active M Comfort Seats/Heated & Cooled, Navi, Premium Sound, HK L7, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Rear & Side Sunshades, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, Voice Command, Custom S/W, Passport 9500ci w/jammers, Dinan High Flow Air Mass Meter/Intakes, CF Front Strut Brace, S1 Suspension & Free Flow Exhaust, Evolve S2 Tune
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2016, 09:48 PM   #41
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapiano
Quote:
Picked up my car today from the dealer after an oil change service, they're a Dinan authorized dealer. I had them install the Dinan Springs and Ride Quality/Handling Kit as well. One of the benefits of Dinan products is keeping your factory warranty.

Getting back to the springs, it's funny how on some cars the drop is only 1/2 inch and others it's 3/4 inches or somewhere in between. I was very pleased when I picked my car up that the drop for me was 3/4 inches. It gives the car a more aggressive look and much better handling. I was impressed off right off the bat, it's amazing what a drop does for body roll. Turn in and holding a line mid corner is much improved. The ride quality changed just a bit, the car doesn't have that overall executive ride feel anymore, which can be boring at times, it has a little edge to it now and I like it. Braking has improved as well, feels like the car has steel braided brake lines and more aggressive pads since it no longer nose dives.

All in all, I am very happy with the upgrade, coupled with JB4, the car is a now a perfect daily driver.
Pics!

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 07:26 AM   #42
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev View Post
Tonnes of posts on this. I was thinking of doing a thread with pics of he most popular spring choices
H&R
Eibach
ACS
Dinan - that's what I went with as its only a 1/2 - 3/4 inch drop. Makes the car look like it should have come stock. I'm older and don't want it slammed.
I posted in another thread -- based on experience -- a strong recommendation that you get the Dinan bump stops, regardless of which spring you get. There is an explanation of the engineering involved in the stops, which are part of the car's suspension, not just a bumper, on the Dinan site.

I also think Dinan has the ride height right. I chose H&R, and I love the look, but I've had to change my driving style to accommodate them. I notice the change in driving whenever I switch from my lowered 535i to my wife's stock 135i: what a treat to back out of the driveway without having to stop to ease the fronts down at the point where the driveway meets the road to avoid a scrape.

Last edited by Errowen; 04-21-2016 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #43
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

I'm running ACS springs on my 550 for the last 2-1/2 years and over 50,000 miles, not a lick of problem with the stock shocks, no leaks, no continuous bouncing, just working like they should. Maybe the shocks that did blow were bad units to begin with and would have blown anyway with the stock springs. Maybe it was just a coincidence that the blew after you installed lower springs?
      04-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #44
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
I'm running ACS springs on my 550 for the last 2-1/2 years and over 50,000 miles, not a lick of problem with the stock shocks, no leaks, no continuous bouncing, just working like they should. Maybe the shocks that did blow were bad units to begin with and would have blown anyway with the stock springs. Maybe it was just a coincidence that the blew after you installed lower springs?
could also be the driver too? i've seen guys drive over speed bumps like they weren't even there
Appreciate 0