2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Hairline Scratch on Window Tint

11-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Hairline Scratch on Window Tint

Hi everyone,

Hope all is well.

Car wash caused a long horizontal hairline scratch on my front passenger window tint that’s very obvious when light hits it just right.

Unfortunately, nothing I can hold the car wash to. It’s a good shop I’ve used for decades, never had a problem before and likely just a random spec of dirt on the worker’s rag; all other windows are fine, thankfully.

Anyway, it’s a hairline scratch that’s almost impossible to feel with your nail and I’m wondering if there’s anything I can apply to the window to minimize its visibility.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #2
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

If that was me and it bothered me (and I am sure it would) , I'd just have the tint removed and redone on that window.
      11-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
If that was me and it bothered me (and I am sure it would) , I'd just have the tint removed and redone on that window.
Had a good laugh reading this, that would be me as well. Cannot "un-see" something like this once you see and know it's there. It would drive me crazy every time I'd look, for sure I'd replace it.

Sorry no good advice for OP other than "get it replaced" and move on.
Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
      11-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #4
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Agreed. Just get it replaced. Wont be too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks everyone, but more to the story...

Dealer previously damaged door sill leather.

Upon prior window re-tinting, prior leather repair became 'blotchy'.

Had a big back and forth with dealer, but they ultimately resolved.

So, I don't want to risk re-tinting and damaging leather again in the process, if avoidable.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Thanks everyone, but more to the story...

Dealer previously damaged door sill leather.

Upon prior window re-tinting, prior leather repair became 'blotchy'.

Had a big back and forth with dealer, but they ultimately resolved.

So, I don't want to risk re-tinting and damaging leather again in the process, if avoidable.
The only thing I've ever heard of for repairing scratches to tint is the following, quoted from a car care website:

" Tinted window film that has been scratched can be polished with cleaners designed for the vinyl windows often found on convertible tops. The product I recommend for polishing and regular maintenance of tinted window film is McKee's 37 Plex All. Plex All comes in an aerosol spray can and is safe for use on plastic, Plexiglas and tinted window film. In addition to polishing your tinted window film, Plex All works great on your taillight and headlight covers. "

I have no actual proof that this will work in your case, but it's possible if you polish it with this type of product that it may make a difference. Also, I think any competent tint shop can re-tint the window for very cheap and without damaging your leather. Ive had my cars tinted at least 10 times and have never had any issues regarding damage to the interior. Take a picture of your interior leather when you drop the car off, that way theres no dispute over any damage

2016 535d M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha
Past: '14 328, '08 335, '04 525, '91 M5, '95 525
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #7
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmwjunkiee View Post
The only thing I've ever heard of for repairing scratches to tint is the following, quoted from a car care website:

" Tinted window film that has been scratched can be polished with cleaners designed for the vinyl windows often found on convertible tops. The product I recommend for polishing and regular maintenance of tinted window film is McKee's 37 Plex All. Plex All comes in an aerosol spray can and is safe for use on plastic, Plexiglas and tinted window film. In addition to polishing your tinted window film, Plex All works great on your taillight and headlight covers. "

I have no actual proof that this will work in your case, but it's possible if you polish it with this type of product that it may make a difference. Also, I think any competent tint shop can re-tint the window for very cheap and without damaging your leather. Ive had my cars tinted at least 10 times and have never had any issues regarding damage to the interior. Take a picture of your interior leather when you drop the car off, that way theres no dispute over any damage
Thanks for finding and posting this!

The product has some great reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B000HG8ZJ0

If I purchase and attempt, I'll be sure to update everyone here.

Otherwise, I believe the part of the leather was previously repaired (twice) ill get damaged again if exposed to a lot of water, which I've heard window tinting needs, which is my hesitation.

Thanks again!

Much appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Thanks for finding and posting this!

The product has some great reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B000HG8ZJ0

If I purchase and attempt, I'll be sure to update everyone here.

Otherwise, I believe the part of the leather was previously repaired (twice) ill get damaged again if exposed to a lot of water, which I've heard window tinting needs, which is my hesitation.

Thanks again!

Much appreciated.
No problem at all. Like I said, I have no experience with it regarding window tint, but thats about the only thing I could find when I searched. Anyways, hope it ends up being useful, definitely post a review thread if you decide to try it!

2016 535d M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha
Past: '14 328, '08 335, '04 525, '91 M5, '95 525
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmwjunkiee View Post
No problem at all. Like I said, I have no experience with it regarding window tint, but thats about the only thing I could find when I searched. Anyways, hope it ends up being useful, definitely post a review thread if you decide to try it!
Appreciate 0