2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Door Sensor Issue

11-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
ymbmw1775
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i M Sport

Door Sensor Issue

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum as I just purchase a 2011 BMW 535i M Sport, here is a thread with pictures:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1059287

I started this thread because something unfortunate has happened and I would really appreciate any feedback on how to deal with this issue.

I park both of my cars in an outdoor garage, one of the idiot parking attendants left my passenger side window open last night while we had a rain/light snow storm. Most of the water was on the door panel and some on the seat.

After taking it out and driving I noticed two issues:

1. I kept getting a message-passenger door was open alert-on my dash.

2. Another alert on my dash saying my seat belt wasn't on (I kept inserting both seat belts and it kept going off).

After letting the car sit for a few hours, I got back in the car and I got a message saying "increased battery discharge, electrical switches were temporarily turned off".

Can anyone Pls tell me how bad this is? I am out of warranty as this vehicle has 77,000 miles, so I believe repairs will be out of pocket (which I will likely pass along to the garage).

Thanks Guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

If I were in your shoes, I'd do the following:

* take a hair dryer to the seat belt receiver and give it a couple seconds of hot air to dry out any residual moisture that may be pooled inside and causing the seat belt alert

* pull the front door panel and dry out any residual moisture on your electrical connections behind the panel (it's an easy removal - - see the following video from Bav Sound on YouTube, which I used for the installation of my speakers; the 5 minute mark is where the front door panel removal begins)

* regarding the battery discharge, hook the battery up to a trickle charger overnight or take it on a drive for about an hour to charge things back up to normal strength

Hope this helps...
      11-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
ymbmw1775
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrf10
If I were in your shoes, I'd do the following:

* take a hair dryer to the seat belt receiver and give it a couple seconds of hot air to dry out any residual moisture that may be pooled inside and causing the seat belt alert

* pull the front door panel and dry out any residual moisture on your electrical connections behind the panel (it's an easy removal - - see the following video from Bav Sound on YouTube, which I used for the installation of my speakers; the 5 minute mark is where the front door panel removal begins)

* regarding the battery discharge, hook the battery up to a trickle charger overnight or take it on a drive for about an hour to charge things back up to normal strength

Hope this helps...
Pdrf10, thanks buddy, I will go ahead and try this tomorrow. I'll let you know of my progress.
Appreciate 0